Forum Rules Forum Rules

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Total newbie seeking general help
missourimedic
post Jun 20 2009, 00:25
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,976

Okay, I'm a TOTAL newbie to ArmA. I mean, I just installed it last night and have never played it. Yes, I did play through the tutorials for a very basic familiarization with the controls and weapons/vehicles. Also, I have over a decade of experience with other similar FPS/multi-player games. (I was even on the Counter-Strike development team, and did some of the "official" maps and textures during the beta stages and version 1.0.)

If you're wondering why I bought this just before ArmA 2 is being released, it's basically because my system can handle this, but probably not ArmA 2... and also because ArmA piqued my interest and I didn't want to wait. wink.gif

Anyway, despite my previous experience with FPS's (including more sim-like ones such as America's Army), I'm having a bit of trouble acclimating to ArmA, and just want some general advice or tips. Anything useful is appreciated!

Mostly I'm looking for general advice and tips, but a couple of the more specific questions I have are:

1. How do I navigate and set my way-points? I'm having some trouble figuring out where I should be going or what my objective is. I know this is an embarrassingly newbish question, but remember, I just bought the game a few hours ago. I can switch back-and-forth to the map and get a general idea of where I am, but can't figure out how to navigate from the main game screen. Is there a way to view my waypoint(s) from the 1st person view?

2. Is this game fun? I would assume that almost everyone reading this is a fan, or you wouldn't be here discussing it. But the servers I found last night were terrible. One was a teamkilling free-for-all... and the other one was much better, but still didn't have a lot of teamwork. It also seemed like everyone was speaking a different language, so there was little or no communication amongst teammates.

All other advice for a newbie is appreciated!

Quote Post
JdB
post Jun 20 2009, 01:32
Post #2

Hipster addonmaker

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 10

QUOTE(missourimedic @ Jun 20 2009, 01:25) *
1. How do I navigate and set my way-points? I'm having some trouble figuring out where I should be going or what my objective is. I know this is an embarrassingly newbish question, but remember, I just bought the game a few hours ago. I can switch back-and-forth to the map and get a general idea of where I am, but can't figure out how to navigate from the main game screen. Is there a way to view my waypoint(s) from the 1st person view?

Navigating with the use of only a map and compass (or even without the compass but by using the stars for the real buffs amongst us) is an essential skill that everyone should master boppin2.gif
You should be seeing waypoints if there have been some defined in the mission. If they aren't being shown, it's either because they're not a part of the mission (if so, I love creator of the mission), or because you have set your difficulty setting too high.

QUOTE(missourimedic @ Jun 20 2009, 01:25) *
2. Is this game fun? I would assume that almost everyone reading this is a fan, or you wouldn't be here discussing it. But the servers I found last night were terrible. One was a teamkilling free-for-all... and the other one was much better, but still didn't have a lot of teamwork. It also seemed like everyone was speaking a different language, so there was little or no communication amongst teammates.

That's the problem with all public servers for every game in existence. To get serious players rather than scoreboard individuals, you need to play on private servers. Some clans/sites may have servers that can be accessed by everyone (may need to go to their website to get the login) that are admin'ed better than most public servers, including this site. Otherwise, joining a clan is the best solution. There are many that offer everything from exclusively fun to ones verging on a military structure (ranks, taking orders, high proficiency etc, basically memorizing Dslyecxi's [Guide]).

--------------------
Creator of dodgy ArmA:CWA addons.

Quote Post
missourimedic
post Jun 20 2009, 01:42
Post #3

QUOTE(I44_John @ Jun 19 2009, 19:32) *
Navigating with the use of only a map and compass (or even without the compass but by using the stars for the real buffs amongst us) is an essential skill that everyone should master boppin2.gif
You should be seeing waypoints if there have been some defined in the mission. If they aren't being shown, it's either because they're not a part of the mission (if so, I love creator of the mission), or because you have set your difficulty setting too high.
That's the problem with all public servers for every game in existence. To get serious players rather than scoreboard individuals, you need to play on private servers. Some clans/sites may have servers that can be accessed by everyone (may need to go to their website to get the login) that are admin'ed better than most public servers, including this site. Otherwise, joining a clan is the best solution. There are many that offer everything from exclusively fun to ones verging on a military structure (ranks, taking orders, high proficiency etc, basically memorizing Dslyecxi's [Guide]).

Thanks. I'm definitely looking forward to joining a clan, but not until I have something to offer them. Right now I'm (to quote the movie Dodgeball) running around like a retard trying to hump a doorknob.

I absolutely loved the Battlefield series of games, but I longed for the better realism that America's Army offered. I was also a fan of Planetside, because of the massive size of the battlefield and the massive number of players (100's), and the more organized battlefield tactics which this allowed for. I feel that ArmA just might be what I was looking for. :thumb

Quote Post
bulkington80
post Jun 20 2009, 06:29
Post #4

Member No.: 5,468

Hey, welcome to the Club! naughty.gif
You'll ejnoy ArmA-1, especially when you discover user-made addons.
Unlike the BF series, ArmA-1 is a fun game even in SP mode.
AND it has a built-in mission editor that lets you make a mission and play it right away.
Also, you may want to DL & install the latest patch(es) for ArmA-1.
(althought the patches are BIG they do improve a lot of things).

This post has been edited by bulkington80: Jun 20 2009, 06:37

--------------------
Good guys play ArmA-1

Quote Post
missourimedic
post Jun 20 2009, 11:36
Post #5

QUOTE(bulkington80 @ Jun 20 2009, 00:29) *
Hey, welcome to the Club! naughty.gif
You'll ejnoy ArmA-1, especially when you discover user-made addons.
Unlike the BF series, ArmA-1 is a fun game even in SP mode.
AND it has a built-in mission editor that lets you make a mission and play it right away.
Also, you may want to DL & install the latest patch(es) for ArmA-1.
(althought the patches are BIG they do improve a lot of things).

Thanks. I'm assuming I already have the latest version, since I purchased it on-line. I'll definitely make a mental note to check it though. (I'm at work right now, so my internet connection is spotty)

What's the most popular mod?

I'm sure I can find tons of threads specifically discussing mods, but is there one which really stands out as the leader of the pack?

Quote Post
bulkington80
post Jun 20 2009, 13:36
Post #6

Member No.: 5,468

Well, it's good to know that you are at work right now smile.gif
The most popular mods are probably ACE, CSLA, CWR, FDF mod, Project85 and Project RACS and I44 mod (WW2 from Western point of view).
Which is da best I do not know (since I don't use any of them), so you'll have to DL something & see for yourself wink.gif

This post has been edited by bulkington80: Jun 20 2009, 13:43

--------------------
Good guys play ArmA-1

Quote Post
JdB
post Jun 20 2009, 17:21
Post #7

Hipster addonmaker

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 10

QUOTE(missourimedic @ Jun 20 2009, 12:36) *
Thanks. I'm assuming I already have the latest version, since I purchased it on-line.

In that case, you're probably running either 1.05 or 1.08 (from what I recall those are the versions sold online), and the latest one is 1.16, so you'll need to download at least one patch.

--------------------
Creator of dodgy ArmA:CWA addons.

Quote Post
missourimedic
post Jun 21 2009, 07:18
Post #8

QUOTE(bulkington80 @ Jun 20 2009, 07:36) *
Well, it's good to know that you are at work right now smile.gif
The most popular mods are probably ACE, CSLA, CWR, FDF mod, Project85 and Project RACS and I44 mod (WW2 from Western point of view).
Which is da best I do not know (since I don't use any of them), so you'll have to DL something & see for yourself wink.gif

biggrin.gif
I work on an ambulance, and we have WiFi... when we're not actually on a call, we're expected to sit in the ambulance and post while we wait for something to come in. Twelve hours sitting in the ambulance on post would be unbearable, were it not for WiFi and the fact that I have an attractive partner. wink.gif

Quote Post
missourimedic
post Jun 23 2009, 04:25
Post #9

I'm having trouble locating the A.C.E. download site. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I did pretty well today! Managed to flank the enemy and took out 8 of them before they knew what hit them. biggrin.gif
Still a total newb though.... just got lucky.

Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:48