> Moderation Feedback Thread
Blackbuck
post Feb 7 2008, 12:52
Post #241

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Appointed Olivia Wilde Stalker
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 113

The fact that I don't think D@V£ even speaks welsh would render that point either sarcasm or useless no?

--------------------

--------------------
Heed my words or risk being beaten with a stick then fed to my associate D@V£
The Rules - Most places have rules, these are ours Read them!
Moderation Feedback Thread - Let everyone know how much you don't like D@V£
--------------------

Quote Post
DaRat
post Feb 7 2008, 13:07
Post #242

~Established April, 2004~

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 34

QUOTE(Wittmann @ Feb 7 2008, 10:46) *
Until then, if you post in another language, you have to provide a translation

That was my point in the first place - so you're saying it is in fact alright to post in another language as long as a translation is given? unsure.gif

Quote Post
JdB
post Feb 7 2008, 13:29
Post #243

Hipster addonmaker

Member No.: 10

No, he was saying that you need to keep your English understandable, and that does not mean providing a translation in your own language, which none of us (as in moderators), nor the vast majority of the other members speaks (the Czech community making up less than 5-10% of the visitors of the site). Things like the Czechs (in the AÄÅ’SR 1938-1945 topic) using their own language to support their English is not acceptable, as a vast majority of the members doesn't understand that supportive translation to begin with, and has to make due with the English part. If you want to post in German, French or Czech, do it in your own section, or in a PM. People that speak other languages, like Norwegian or Finnish, can stick to PM.

--------------------
Creator of dodgy ArmA:CWA addons.

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Feb 7 2008, 16:33
Post #244

Gentleman Usher of the Coffee Stain
Group Icon

Group: Site Team
Member No.: 19

Again we've come across a rule which leaves too much space for interpretation.

Posts completely composed in another language are simply inappropriate, the same complies to posts in "Engrish", i.e. with certain vocabs the author did not know replaced by the corresponding words of his native tongue, or posts which are hardly readable due to a horrific knowledge of grammar and vocabulary. To know at least the basics of the language in which you're going to post in a forum is a requirement the operators of the board are allowed demand from you. This is a rule of format, and I'm convinced of its rightness.

However, at least in the German section, I will not crucify anyone who uses some words of another language which I for my part can identify as not obscene or offensive. Provided that in doing so brings no satisfying results or that I cannot translate them, then I would erase the concerning part of the post.

Since the perfomance presented by Daniel von Rommel lately has been the first flame for a long time now and these forums tend to keep civilized and quiet, I doubt that minor infractions of this rule really require a moderating action beyond a small edit of the displeasing post.

--------------------
Google Google and Google will google Google!

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
Daniel Von Rommel
post Mar 27 2008, 14:15
Post #245

Group Icon

Group: User Banned
Member No.: 1,799

Since the perfomance presented by Daniel von Rommel

You're trying to restart?

Take your own part of the share. I wasn't the only one flaming, and actually I have been asking to be peaceful for various consecutive posts, so don't come tell me Only I flamed.

I don't want to restart, But I don't want to be pointed at as "the flamer".

Quote Post
Blackbuck
post Mar 27 2008, 15:16
Post #246

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Appointed Olivia Wilde Stalker
Group Icon

Member No.: 113

That point was raised nearly a month ago. I don't really see the point in responding to it when you could of PM'd him about it...

--------------------

--------------------
Heed my words or risk being beaten with a stick then fed to my associate D@V£
The Rules - Most places have rules, these are ours Read them!
Moderation Feedback Thread - Let everyone know how much you don't like D@V£
--------------------

Quote Post
Daniel Von Rommel
post Mar 27 2008, 15:22
Post #247

Group Icon

Group: User Banned
Member No.: 1,799

Because I noticed it now and I have the bad habit not to look when stuff has been posted

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Mar 28 2008, 23:48
Post #248

Group Icon

http://forum.armedassault.info/index.php?s...ost&p=38593
And as I have said, and like more members have indicated, it will be none. These threads were made because people wanted to keep politics and military discussions out of the rest of the threads, which is working perfectly well for all but one person, who keeps posting politics and military matters in this thread (yes, that means you), thereby setting the wrong example, that others pick up on.)

So yet again: Any more posting of either subjects, politics outside of the Politics thread, or military outside of the Military Matters thread, will result in the closing of the thread for a few hours or days, and a lengthy PR + possible warning blocks, for anyone ignorant enough to do this, especially people that have been around here long enough to know how it works. That also includes people that later try to downplay bringing up the subject by saying they didn't mean to be serious, when they know perfectly well that anything related to politics or the military gets taken seriously (or rather, taken the wrong way). Also just to be on the safe side since pMASTER usually discusses moderating directions in the thread itself, and this being a moderating direction:[/b]

The marked part must be a joke....

http://forum.armedassault.info/index.php?s...ost&p=38566

http://forum.armedassault.info/index.php?s...ost&p=38545

...because I spot a little nasty contradiction in there. Jdb, you have made two misplaced posts in this thread as well whilst you're ironically issuing warning to others not to do so. So either you allow some excursions from the chatter thread - What is its topic anyway, shall we all go on to produce random gibberish there or can we trivially chat about things everyday life comes up with as normal people do? - or you don't, but then don't make excuses for yourself either.

And that's why I have always warned and demanded to specify the rules.

--------------------

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
JdB
post Mar 29 2008, 00:12
Post #249

Hipster addonmaker

QUOTE(pMASTER @ Mar 28 2008, 23:48) *
So either you allow some excursions from the chatter thread - What is its topic anyway, shall we all go on to produce random gibberish there or can we trivially chat about things everyday life comes up with as normal people do? - or you don't, but then don't make excuses for yourself either.

And that's why I have always warned and demanded to specify the rules.

I have no desire to bring up all of the posts where you change subjects by talking about politics or the military, so I will only talk about this specific case. Helping_Hand posts an external application that lets you have fun with "building blocks" that happen to be of a weapon, where as you post the following:

Geert Wilders has published his controversial Anti-Quran-movie today. I'm expecting the usual violent and bigoted fuzz as always. LET THEM COME mad.gif

Might just be me, but I don't see any signs of non-seriousness in that post. It's a political rant. That is what started the issue regarding separate topics for politics and the military. I warned you to stop, your next post contains arguing with a moderator's decision in the form of "That's called current events. And the smiley was indicating the lack of seriousness in my post.", even indicated by Helping_Hand "Now we're discussing moderating actions".

An angry smiley to indicate the lack of seriousness in your post when discussing politics...right boppin2.gif (that smiley seems to work a lot better)

Also it was not my idea to keep the politics and military discussions out of the Community Chatter thread, IIRC Helping_Hand among others, took that initiative. Was a good idea imo.

And you know that I would like more specified rules as well, but that not everyone agrees with that.

--------------------

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Mar 29 2008, 00:34
Post #250

Group Icon

QUOTE(JdB @ Mar 29 2008, 00:12) *
I have no desire to bring up all of the posts where you change subjects by talking about politics or the military, so I will only talk about this specific case. Helping_Hand posts an external application that lets you have fun with "building blocks" that happen to be of a weapon, where as you post the following:

And even this would not have belonged into the Chatter thread per its new definition, right?

Might just be me, but I don't see any signs of non-seriousness in that post. It's a political rant. That is what started the issue regarding separate topics for politics and the military. I warned you to stop, your next post contains arguing with a moderator's decision in the form of "That's called current events. And the smiley was indicating the lack of seriousness in my post.", even indicated by Helping_Hand "Now we're discussing moderating actions".

An angry smiley to indicate the lack of seriousness in your post when discussing politics...right boppin2.gif (that smiley seems to work a lot better)

Also it was not my idea to keep the politics and military discussions out of the Community Chatter thread, IIRC Helping_Hand among others, took that initiative. Was a good idea imo.

So what? I regard the Chatter thread as the chit-chat corner of this forum - maybe I'm doing a mistake in believing so, but I accept the internet as a virtual world to do conversations with people I can't get in contact with on other ways - , and I wonder to which topics were conversations in everday life restricted?

And you completely fail to show why your two posts (Yes I harp on about details now but so are you) are excusable whilst mine do represent a commentworthy infraction.
That's what I call double standards.

And you know that I would like more specified rules as well, but that not everyone agrees with that.

Who? You were the one to insist that rules are made by mods exclusively.

--------------------

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
D@V£
post Mar 29 2008, 01:46
Post #251

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Member No.: 155

Look, this is just stupid.

How about we let this non-serious (or, pMaster) political chatter in the chatter thread, and keep the politics thread for more serious stuff. It doesn't make any sense to tell people off for talking about... stuff... in the chatter thread, that's why it's there. There was no serious demand for a ORLY OWL thread, was there? There was no serious demand for a FEB thread, was there?

Fact is, the gun discussion wasn't serious because Mark doesn't have a firearms license (and, thankfully, isn't in an occupation where he can apply for one), so there's no way he could have used that gun builder thing for anything other than wasting a few minutes trying to make something that looks nice and he could try and use as the basis for an addon. The discussion wasn't a serious military discussion, it wasn't political. Hell, it was about as off-topic as they come. To be honest, I'm just glad everyone stopped moaning because they aren't getting laid.

If you're going to start telling me that that belonged in the military thread, I'm going to have to start posting my decree's as moon-king of the moon in the politics thread. And no one wants that.

Of course, we all know that this is just because JdB doesn't like pMaster and visaversa, so...

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
d@nte
post Apr 17 2008, 16:03
Post #252

head in the stars

Group: Members
Member No.: 32

i have voted yes at the poll.

about the mother tongue:

i'm french, my english is not really good (grammar, vocabulary). but in the english section, the language is english. people should make some efforts.

The 'official' stance on this is that there is no way of checking/ moderating what the translated version says, so in theory they could be completely different and nobody unable to speak the language in question could tell.

it's true; an exemple.

les modérateurs sont vraiment pourris sur ce forum: false translation: the moderators are great in this forum. right translation: moderators are rotten in this forum.

(btw it's just a example)

personally, I use http://translate.google.com/translate_t?langpair=fr|en .

This post has been edited by d@nte: Apr 17 2008, 16:10

--------------------

Un ali mat zo mat bepred Ha pa ve digant ur sot e ve

(Good advice is always good, even though it comes from an idiot).

Quote Post
Linker Split
post Apr 20 2008, 18:36
Post #253

literally the BIG BOSS of OFP
Group Icon

Group: Addon Maker
Member No.: 66

LINK

isn't this a form of ABUSE OF POWER? mellow.gif

(DeanosBeano has been working on these 3 years altogeher so , no differences than Bis apart he was alone, and the BI developer more than 1 ^^)

JdB, your action against gamesmaster is more offensive than the way a psychologist can harm a guy.
C'mon, you don't know anything about the ArmA engine, while deanos does very well, and i would trust him more than the holy bible if he says that doing this type of work is more difficult than adding to the engine itself. I'm learning a lot and now I understand that he is right, since:

BIS got some experienced guys, a working TEAM, whose work is to create all these sort of things.
They are like Gods since the engine belongs to them, so then then know how to modify it, how to add features and so on (they added multiple gun turrets on VBS while they didn't for OFP ^^).
I can't see the point of defending BIS, when they appear only to guarantee their interests.
And due to this, I can't see the point of answering that way when someone was trying to explain you the same tmanner I've just told you.

This post has been edited by Linker Split: Apr 20 2008, 18:37

--------------------
Visit my blog about Poker at Blogspot.com

-->TUTORIAL ON HOW TO MAKE NORMAL MAPPING IN ARMA!<--
-->MATERIAL EDITOR TUTORIAL!<--
-->DOWNLOAD MY HDT ISLAND!<--
judgement = hypocritical and slightly deluded

Quote Post
JdB
post Apr 20 2008, 18:54
Post #254

Hipster addonmaker

All I see is an attack on my person. Most of your post isn't about the moderating, it's a continuation of the original thread, which I said I have answered 3 times already. As people seem to be going into this same discussion again and again, I will simply ignore it from now on, since my explanatory posts seem to be invisible to members, requiring me to repost the content to the same quoted bits again and again. Flooding (continuously reposting the same content) is not allowed. I also am under the impression this is an issue for you, since I used your/Deano's work as a comparison to the developing that BIS does on it's games, and that you somehow took it the wrong you.

This is also an individual case, not a discussion on the rules, which is what this thread is for:

[§9] No public discussion on how the forum is moderated

If you have questions/complaints/comments that you wish to make about the board or moderators or anything like that please PM them to a moderator, we will do our utmost to reply to any that we receive, please remember we have lives outside of the forum so can't promise to reply immediately. There is also a dedicated thread located [here] for discussing the moderating policy, it is meant for the general policy, not for individual cases, that should be restricted to PM.

--------------------

Quote Post
Lordwatson
post Apr 20 2008, 22:22
Post #255

Member No.: 2,586

Sorry to butt in here, but can somebody check if the Prealpha version of VTE is working Whenever I ahve downloaded it I am told it is corrupt sad.gif

EDIT: WHy the hell did I put this here. Sorry guys, I am really tired tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Lordwatson: Apr 20 2008, 22:27

--------------------
Steel Boat, Iron Hearts

Do You Cry Out In Your Sleep?
All My Failings Exposed
Get a Taste In My Mouth,
As Desperation Takes Hold.
Is It Something So Good,
Just Cant Function No More.
Love, Love Will Tear Us Apart, Again.

Quote Post
D@V£
post Apr 20 2008, 22:29
Post #256

Group Icon

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with JdB, even if I do secretly wish him a terrible demise. It's a matter of principle. That guy was clearly overstepping the rules. No one cried when user XYZ got banned because they sent King Homer a PM calling him a Nazi, yet someone yells at a moderator publicly and refers to his methods as terrible when they are quite simply doing there jobs, then literally asks to be banned and there's some big hoo-hah?

Frankly, I think anyone here would have reacted in exactly the same manner.

If someone who clearly has no idea what they're talking about came up to me in the street and shouted in my face that I was a worthless worm and accused me of setting fire to kittens I think I'd punch them in the face. There is literally no difference between this or that.

(Except that I do set fire to kittens. Don't judge me. I'm part of a group of unethical cracks who shoot each other for fun! ohmy.gif )

This post has been edited by D@V£: Apr 20 2008, 22:29

--------------------
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
d@nte
post Apr 21 2008, 11:22
Post #257

head in the stars

Frankly, I think anyone here would have reacted in exactly the same manner.

no, because JDB has closed the discussion by a moderator act. personally I was also surprised by the JDB's reply. And i can understand Gamemaster.

"spamming": what is really the spamming? how only one person can choose if a discussion is spam or not.

personally i don't see spam in the Gamemaster's reply. this is just an other point of view.

--------------------

Quote Post
D@V£
post Apr 21 2008, 13:20
Post #258

Group Icon

QUOTE(d@nte @ Apr 21 2008, 11:22) *
no, because JDB has closed the discussion by a moderator act. personally I was also surprised by the JDB's reply. And i can understand Gamemaster.

"spamming": what is really the spamming? how only one person can choose if a discussion is spam or not.

personally i don't see spam in the Gamemaster's reply. this is just an other point of view.

The topic is still open, if people want to discuss Linker's modification they should open a thread in the relevant addons section. Likewise, if they want to discuss JdB's actions as a moderator, post here.

As for Gamemaster, I don't think anyone here wants to see these forums descend into a rhetoric hammer contest... (I'm looking at you Rommel!)

--------------------

QUOTE(Brace Belden)

Quote Post
JdB
post Apr 21 2008, 16:09
Post #259

Hipster addonmaker

QUOTE(d@nte @ Apr 21 2008, 12:22) *

That's why we have a moderating staff, and not a poll that everyone gets to vote in for every moderating decision. No country in the world has a system where everyone gets to judge someone (maybe in ideology, but not in practical use anyway). Forums are not a democracy.

Similar to why we have a Site-team, so only the stuff that is worth being on the site gets put on the site, by people that know what they're doing (well, mostly anyway blues.gif ).

It is not another point of view, since he keeps quoting the same bit, and keeps forcing me to post the same content over and over again because he was unable to accept my explanation the first time. As D@V£ said, this particular type of spamming is known as "hammering". If he had done it to anyone else, I would have warned him to stop doing it to, it just so happened to involve me in this case. I won't hesitate to make a moderating decision in case it involves myself, since that would render the moderating staff useless.

--------------------

Quote Post
d@nte
post Apr 25 2008, 16:10
Post #260

head in the stars

bye bye the ACSR mod; they stop to post here. Why (excepted the 150kb limit for pictures)? it's not a complain, just curiosity. blues.gif

from BIS forum:

When ArmedAssault.info admins haven just probleme opposite us mod, we stoped all posts at ArmedAssualt.info.

--------------------

Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 19:13