Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Texturing, Need help on how to texture
steve
post Sep 13 2010, 07:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,264

Hey guys,
I'm trying to figure out how to edit and replace textures with my modified ones I have looked ALL OVER the damn web and haven't found a straight answer on how exactly to accomplish this. So can anyone provide me a useful tutorial or a step by step process on what tools I need and how to use them?

Quote Post
D@V£
post Sep 13 2010, 17:45
Post #2

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

Could you maybe be a bit more specific as to what you're trying to do? "replacing textures" could mean any number of things.

Moving to Addons WIP section

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
steve
post Sep 13 2010, 22:51
Post #3

Basically, I don't want to insert new textures all together, I just want to edit the already existing ones. For example, modify camo on soldiers clothes, reskin some weapons ect...

Quote Post
D@V£
post Sep 14 2010, 13:23
Post #4

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

Ok. There are two ways to do this, the first is by hex-editing the ODOL format (binarized) models shipped with the game, the other is by editing the models from the sample model pack (you can download it here).

For the hex editing version, you'll need:
-A PBO file tool
-texview2 (included in the BIS tools suite)
-A graphics program capable of importing and exporting .tga files
-A hex editor
-Notepad (for config work)

The process is simple enough:
1. Create a folder for your project. If you've installed the BIS tools suite, you should place it at the base of the dummy P:\ drive, otherwise, put it somewhere obvious, such as "C:\ArmAWork". This folder is essentially the uncompressed version of your pbo file, the easiest way to think of a pbo file is as a compressed folder (kinda like a .zip file), when the project is complete, you can compress this folder with your pbo tool to create your addon's pbo file!
2. Extract the model you want to reskin (models have a p3d extension). You can also extract the textures. If you're just doing a simple recolour, just extract the textures with the "_co.paa" suffix.
3. If you're basing the new texture on the existing one, you can convert the paa file into a tga file using texview, just drag the file into the texview window, then "save as" with a tga extension.
4. Edit the file.
5. Look at the original texture name, you need to ensure the path to your new texture is the exact same length (in characters) as the original path. Ie, so if you were editing the M4 texture ("ca\weapons\data\M4_co.paa"), the directory of your texture would have to be exactly 25 characters long (ie, "MyRetexturedM4\M4b_co_paa"), this is important for the hex editing, bit later. Also note that original game content has the "ca\" prefix to all file names. (So if you're referencing a texture in "weapons\data", the path should be "ca\weapons\data")
6. Save your texture as either a .tga, .jpg or .png file.
7. Use Texview to convert your texture to a .paa file.
8. Open the model in your hex editer, replace all the references to the original texture so they point to your new texture. (Most of them have a replace function, which makes this very easy)
9. Write a config (I can't really help you with this, because I'm not at my home PC, sorry!)
10. Pack your pbo, and install it to the game as you would any other addon.

You can also edit the MLOD format (unbinarized) model ino oxygen, which you might find a lot easier. For this you'll need:
-The full BIS tools suite
-A graphics program capable of importing and exporting .tga files
-Notepad (for config work)

This is a lot less "in depth" than the hex editing method, and is a lot more flexible, but it takes some time to get used to using the tools:
1. Create a folder for your project in the P:\ drive.
2. Copy over the model you want to reskin from the sample model pack.
3. Create your new texture, and save it somewhere in your project folder (I've cut out the the bit about extracting textures from the orginal files, look at the above guide if you want to know about that)
4. Convert the texture to a paa with texview
5. Open the .p3d in oxygen. On the bar on the left side of the interface you should find a list of all textures used in the model (they'll appear blank, but don't worry, this is just because oxygen can't find them), right click on the texture you want to change, and use the "rename in model" option to change the path to your new texture.
6. Save the model.
7. Write config.cpp and model.cfg files (Again, can't really help you with this until I get back home)
8. Create a pbo from your folder, then you're good to go.

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
steve
post Sep 15 2010, 00:17
Post #5

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. I have all the required tools now and I'll get back to you on this eventually if I figure it out or not.

Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 13:34