Forum Rules Forum Rules

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HOW TO REINSTALL ARMA, I need help on uninstalling arma
triggerpuller101
post Nov 14 2009, 07:47
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,663

So here's my situation. Over the past few hours I have been trying to reinstall arma. After making sure I deleted every trace of arma including the Atari folder, I attempted to reinstall it. Whenever I try to reinstall it, there is a pop-up that states "arma: combat operations is already installed. Would you like to reinstall Arma? Yes or no" I click yes. Arma is then installed. When the installation is nearly complete, when it reaches the final bar, it stops on saralite or a vehicle pbo (you can see the pbos being installed into your arma directory under current progress) and freezes. I then abort the installation and try again. The same thing keeps happening. It progress bar(green one) reaches near the end and stops and doesn't continue. What is the issue and how can I fix it? I can't seem to reinstall arma. Is there a unistall I can use to delete all traces of arma? Thanks in advance.

Quote Post
Old Bear
post Nov 14 2009, 14:38
Post #2

Forum Addict
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 20

Have you de-install ArmA by the Windows de-install program process or by throwing all the stuff in the bin ?

--------------------

Quote Post
D@V£
post Nov 14 2009, 15:52
Post #3

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

This belongs in the troubleshooting section, moving.

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
triggerpuller101
post Nov 14 2009, 23:08
Post #4

I placed everything in the recycle bin. Before that I went into control panel-add or remove programs, then I pressed "change/remove" Yet whenever I try to reinstall arma, it says that arma is still installed. Why is that? I made sure I deleted every trace of arma.

Quote Post
D@V£
post Nov 14 2009, 23:58
Post #5

Group Icon

AFAIK correctly, ArmA tracks if it's installed or not through the registry, so you'll need to edit that (not recommend) if you've just deleted the ArmA folder.

However; You might just be experiencing a hang on the installer while large files are being installed or registry data is processed, how long does it freeze for?

I'd suggest trying to install it using the reinstall method, then just waiting. If it's not an actual issue then it should, eventually, finish the install.

If you can leave it for more than a half hour and it doesn't finalise, then I'd say that's a sign there might be something wrong.

--------------------
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
triggerpuller101
post Nov 15 2009, 02:10
Post #6

QUOTE(D@V£ @ Nov 14 2009, 14:58) *
AFAIK correctly, ArmA tracks if it's installed or not through the registry, so you'll need to edit that (not recommend) if you've just deleted the ArmA folder.
However; You might just be experiencing a hang on the installer while large files are being installed or registry data is processed, how long does it freeze for?

I'd suggest trying to install it using the reinstall method, then just waiting. If it's not an actual issue then it should, eventually, finish the install.

If you can leave it for more than a half hour and it doesn't finalise, then I'd say that's a sign there might be something wrong.

Ok so today I tried to install arma again, this time hoping that leaving it for an hour would suffice and expected a finished installer. However, I did not get that, instead I received a pop up which states: File copy error (CRC does not match). C:/Program files/Atari/Arma/Dta/bin.pbo Can you exlain the meaning of this and how to fix it? Thanks.

Quote Post
triggerpuller101
post Nov 15 2009, 02:36
Post #7

I have looked into several other forums regarding this issue. Apparently it is a common issue with arma1. I have heard that copying the CD to your hardrive and reinstalling it will solve the issue. I am skeptical of this suggestion, so I will try something different that seems somewhat more logical. I will copy just the Arma folder from the CD into a new location (Documents and settings) and then try to install arma. Hopefully this will not wreck my computer. If you have any other suggestions, please do tell me.

Quote Post
D@V£
post Nov 15 2009, 03:04
Post #8

Group Icon

It's possible that your CD has become corrupted somehow. This could be due to scratches or particles on the disk. You could try cleaning the disk, though I'm not too sure how to go about this (some cleaning methods will do more damage to the disk).

You could try the method you've said, though if it is corruption (the error messages seems to suggest it is) then it's unlikely this'll have any effect (it'll only really increase the speed of the transfer), it could also result in some copy protection nastiness.

--------------------

QUOTE(Brace Belden)

Quote Post
triggerpuller101
post Nov 15 2009, 04:37
Post #9

QUOTE(D@V£ @ Nov 14 2009, 18:04) *
It's possible that your CD has become corrupted somehow. This could be due to scratches or particles on the disk. You could try cleaning the disk, though I'm not too sure how to go about this (some cleaning methods will do more damage to the disk).

You could try the method you've said, though if it is corruption (the error messages seems to suggest it is) then it's unlikely this'll have any effect (it'll only really increase the speed of the transfer), it could also result in some copy protection nastiness.

Thanks D@V£. I tried the method in my last post and it didn't work. I am getting frustrated. I am aware that the problem may be a corrupted CD, although it was working fine when I first bought it and the scratches are minor. So my only option is to try to install it using a different CD drive, because my current one may not be working properly. Hopefully that'll work.

Quote Post
Hunter
post Jan 9 2010, 14:03
Post #10

Member No.: 5,451

I have had this very same problem in the past, and what worked for me was to re-install Windows and then ArmA re-installed no problem. I also cleaned my ArmA disc with a special PressIt disc cleaner which fills in any scratches on the disc surface to allow the laser to read it properly. If the disc is scratched the laser will not read that area of the disc correctly and will cause the CRC error on files.

Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:48