Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Censorship
King Homer
post Nov 26 2006, 19:02
Post #21

The King

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 5

Well, what about talking all the way in an appropriate way, like you would do in front of your boss? I mean it's easy going here but I try to leave out the normal language I use as much as possible.
I could add the F word to every sentence but I don't do it. So instead of argueing about that, we should start to talk all in a polite manner to each other.

--------------------
Former "Uber"-Administrator.

Quote Post
DaRat
post Nov 26 2006, 19:15
Post #22

~Established April, 2004~

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 34

QUOTE(CJE @ Nov 26 2006, 17:54) *

The problem is, it might be ok in your view, but not in another person's view. For example, a greeting from a town nearby sounds very much like "Alright c*nt". Which, to an outsider sounds extremely offensive, but to them, it is just a greeting. To me, calling someone a f*g would incite offense. In a forum where different cultures co-exist, it is better and safer not to call anyone anything, just incase.

1. Which is why it's generally only used in friendly conversation
2. I wouldn't use it with someone I don't know - I'm not that stupid tongue.gif

Quote Post
Wittmann
post Nov 27 2006, 00:38
Post #23

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Admin Extraordinaire
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 18

I swear alot but like I said, here on the forum where we are interacting with people we dont really know, where we CANNOT here inflection in a tone of voice or read someones face or body language, we CANNOT tell if it is in jest or not, so its best to talk civily and maintain decorum.

Besides using these terms usually is in situations involving flaming, statistically I can vouch for this.

The fact is, you can bitch and whine all you want, these words will remain filtered here.

--------------------

Junglewraiths Clan - GAU
Evil Director of Forum Resources

Quote Post
brataccas
post Nov 28 2006, 13:30
Post #24

The One and the Only!

Group: Members
Member No.: 35

QUOTE(Wittmann @ Nov 26 2006, 23:38) *

here on the forum where we are interacting with people we dont really know, where we CANNOT here inflection in a tone of voice or read someones face or body language, we CANNOT tell if it is in jest or not

thats where smileys come in handy naughty.gif

edit: nvm smileys can be false and deceptive mf_hide.gif

--------------------
Is king homer cheeky?

Quote Post
CJE
post Nov 28 2006, 17:03
Post #25

Member No.: 22

I have myself been in a fight over msn, where the use of certain smilies and swear words made things seem a lot worse than they were, we didn't have anything to fight about, and just misunderstood eachother. Like wittman said, certain swear words could enter into flaming, and we all don't want that, now do we?

--------------------
I'm back! Muhahahaha.
Upgraded PC:
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz E Prescott (Used to overheat, but now in a cool Thermaltake case)
2Gb Ram
256Mb 7600 GT

Quote Post
Wittmann
post Nov 29 2006, 01:15
Post #26

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Admin Extraordinaire
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 18

For instance, sometimes if a friend says something silly or that makes no sense I may say 'your such a wanker' or 'idiot.'

Now if I said that on the forum, I daresay that would be taken as being offensive because you don't know if its in jest and cant tell as you cant hear the inflection in my voice or see how I'm acting...

--------------------

Junglewraiths Clan - GAU
Evil Director of Forum Resources

Quote Post
BigglesTrevor
post Nov 29 2006, 19:22
Post #27

The Il2 Fan

Member No.: 25

QUOTE(Wittmann @ Nov 29 2006, 00:15) *

For instance, sometimes if a friend says something silly or that makes no sense I may say 'your such a wanker' or 'idiot.'

Now if I said that on the forum, I daresay that would be taken as being offensive because you don't know if its in jest and cant tell as you cant hear the inflection in my voice or see how I'm acting...

so its much safer to call people on a forum a silly sausige so its obvious you messing about.

--------------------

Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:21