Benoist
post Mar 25 2009, 05:18
Post #21

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Mr. Argentina 2012
Group Icon

Group: Newshound
Member No.: 1,502

That was fast and useful, thanks a lot.

I guess I'll use my brother's card to pay.

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Mar 25 2009, 14:39
Post #22

Gentleman Usher of the Coffee Stain
Group Icon

Group: Site Team
Member No.: 19

It's a really good book. It tells you a lot about other mercenaries in the skies as well, such as the pilots of "Air America" for example or the Swedish noble Carl Gustav von Rosen who fought for the Biafrans against Nigeria.

--------------------
Google Google and Google will google Google!

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
Blackhawk
post Mar 30 2009, 10:25
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,122

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090330/tuk-b...ue-86ac183.html

Finally, we're coming out tomorrow, I was never a supporter of the Iraq war and after Saddam was captured and killed, we should have left.

The next major military conflict? That's a tricky question, It could be a Iranian conflict, could be Korean Conflict, The Japanese government are getting quite sketchy because the North Koreans may have started their nuclear missile program again, but it will probably be somewhere in Asia.

--------------------

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Mar 30 2009, 15:11
Post #24

Group Icon

Somali pirates have actually tried to capture a vessel of the German Navy. Yesterday some pirates in a small boat approached the civilian-manned auxiliary ship "Spessart" with full speed and opened fire. A force protection unit returned fire and drove off the attackers. Then the "Spessart" pursuited the pirates and with the help of a frigate arrested them.

That's awesome.

--------------------

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
Jeza
post Mar 31 2009, 23:16
Post #25

Guests

QUOTE(Blackhawk @ Mar 30 2009, 10:25) *
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090330/tuk-b...ue-86ac183.html

The next major military conflict? That's a tricky question, It could be a Iranian conflict, could be Korean Conflict, The Japanese government are getting quite sketchy because the North Koreans may have started their nuclear missile program again, but it will probably be somewhere in Asia.

S.Korea and Japan more often than not follow what the US say. And as the US has said it will not shoot down or try to disrupt this 'satalite' launch, then i doubt japan or s.korea will, after all the north korea did say that it would see any attack on its launch (i.e knocking it out the sky) would result in war. I dont think thats what anybody wants, considering it would not be a conflcit like iraq or afganistan were it is more guerilla focused, this would be conventional warfare and also geographicaly n.korea as well as financially is in China & Russia's sphere of influence and i do not think any western country would be stupid enough to start quite possibly a global conflict.

Iranian conflict, i do not see this either, as western nations seem to be going on the backburner in iraq, and foccusing on Afghanistan. If any conflcit with the Iranians were to materialise i believe that it would be the Israelis who would be most likely to be involved in this conflcit, but they are huge allies with the US so who knows. But hopefully there will be no future conflicts, but i think thats just naive thinking.

Quote Post
Hornet85
post Apr 6 2009, 11:31
Post #26

Member No.: 1,707

Yesturday April the 5th the new NATO Secretary General wher elected and his name is Anders Fogh Rasmussen the Danish Prime Minister.
At the same time Obama orderd 27000 US Marines to Afganistan, He also asked the NATO countrys to provide higher number of forces to afganistan.

What do you guys think? More soldiers to afganistan or just stop with sending tropps down ther?

Hornet: Deploying

--------------------
Sergeant Major retired, SOF, JSOC.
Combat Deployment: Iraq, Afghanistan, Congo, Somalia, Tchad.
Peacekeeping Deployment: Bosnia, Kosovo, Liberia, South Sudan, Libya.
PMC Deployment: Crimea
Never Back Down! Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Apr 6 2009, 12:55
Post #27

Group Icon

QUOTE(Hornet85 @ Apr 6 2009, 12:31) *
What do you guys think? More soldiers to afganistan or just stop with sending tropps down ther?
All Nato countries should be obliged to deploy a certain percentage of their forces to Afghanistan without any caveats and restrictions. In return all these governments having a hard time with the opposition of their own electorate should get an exact date of withdrawal, so they can withdraw their militaries as of date X no matter what aims have been achieved then or not. Theoretically ISAF has already done what it was created for: A so called democratic government with an own security apparatus at its disposal is in charge of this nation.

I can't hear the so called experts whinge anymore about the "unwinable war". There is no such thing as a mission impossible. I'm tired of the Soviet analogies, too. The situation of the Russians was absolutely different.

Speaking of Afghanistan, it fits here better:

IDF hit PRT Kunduz today and its troops were ambushed twice with an IED and RPG/ small arms fire. All happened when Chancellor Merkel was visiting the place.

"No, there is no war going on in Afghanistan." - Angela Merkel, German Chancellor
"There is no war in Afghanistan, we are not at war, thus we don't need to win a war." - Franz-Josef Jung, German Minister of Defense

biggrin.gif Ooops.

--------------------

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
JdB
post Apr 6 2009, 15:40
Post #28

Hipster addonmaker

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 10

QUOTE(Hornet85)

As far as we Dutch are concerned, our forces are already at breaking point, with a serious lack of troops (recruitment has gone down 20% since not everyone, especially outside of the elite units, is so keen to go to war, the army has been seen as a source of free education (including pay) since the end of the Cold War, with the only "fighting" being over how much food-parcels you can stuff into a single truck), lack of vehicles (things break down at an unpredicted rate due to the effects of the desert, with not replacements (also in parts) being available), and above all, lack of money. Over 7000 jobs are vacant (over 10% of the total forces), and that number will continue to increase as long as we stay in Afghanistan. Oddly enough, the number of Muslims that join has gone up, especially for combat units.

QUOTE(pMASTER @ Apr 6 2009, 13:55) *
All Nato countries should be obliged to deploy a certain percentage of their forces to Afghanistan without any caveats and restrictions. In return all these governments having a hard time with the opposition of their own electorate should get an exact date of withdrawal, so they can withdraw their militaries as of date X no matter what aims have been achieved then or not. Theoretically ISAF has already done what it was created for: A so called democratic government with an own security apparatus at its disposal is in charge of this nation.

This scenario is only possible in Lala-land, not reality.

My cousin was deployed there with the PRT (he's a sergeant with in the engineers) in late 2007, and he said that the situation is hopeless. With every single troop rotation, the next group started from scratch again with their contact with the locals, effectively reverting to step 1 each and every time. These people are used to dealing with people in their own town or at best district all their lives, seeing a new face every few months that claims to be their salvation doesn't build any trust. Once something had been achieved, the troops rotate back to the Netherlands, and the progress was lost.

This has partially been "solved" by involving Afghan troops with reconstruction efforts (rather "construction" since the majority of Afghanistan is pretty much living in the middle ages), which is possible now that the number of Afghan troops is rising, and their are becoming mildly more effective, even though any serious fighting will only be ended by using Western troops and heavy weapons.

Building up Western forces will never end this conflict, building up Afghan forces will. The Afghan tribes have always been extremely hostile towards any foreigners, so the only solution that will be trusted is an Afghan one. Even though the tribes amongst themselves are also not exactly the best of friends, I think they will prefer each other to any Western army.

This post has been edited by I44_John: Apr 6 2009, 21:28

--------------------
Creator of dodgy ArmA:CWA addons.

Quote Post
JdB
post Apr 6 2009, 21:27
Post #29

Hipster addonmaker

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 10

20 year old Pvt. Azdin Chadli was killed today in a rocket attack on the main Dutch base Camp Holland in Afghanistan. I'm not entirely sure, but judging from his name his family is Afghan.

R.I.P.

--------------------
Creator of dodgy ArmA:CWA addons.

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Apr 7 2009, 12:59
Post #30

Group Icon

"Nation building" itself is an utopist and utterly lofty idea from Lala-land. Leaders from all over the world have seen the Third Reich fall and the rise of a democratic and peaceful Germany, that's why they think this concept must always work. The bitter fact is: It hasn't ever worked since.

What did it take to roll up Germany?

- Pure destruction (measured in hits per square kilometre, 45 % of Germany had been destroyed and nearly six million of its population lay dead)

- Giant financial efforts (->ERP)

- A strong politcal opposition that can be trusted with leadership positions (persons like Konrad Adenauer and the resistance factions)

- A culture that is secular and laicist and accepts democracy and humanity (as the motherland of the reformation, Germany has never been very religious; Despite the quick fall of the Weimar Republic, Germany had a longer tradition of democratic efforts such as in the Vormärz era)

- Existence of a workforce of skilled craftmen and highly educated academics (in pre-war time Germany won more Nobel prizes than any country else and was the most industrialized nation on continental Europe)

- Knowledge of wealth (feeding the will to regain it)

What does Afghanistan can offfer?

- Pure destruction: Indead this country has been laid to waste and many have died. But this was a slow progress taking quite exactly 30 years now. If you don't know what peace and prosperity are, you'll ease into their abscence. It has been a long suffering for them but it also nourised their pride and their historical bellicosity. De facto the Afghans haven't done anything than war for the last 150+ years. For the Germans, it was a rather quick but hard punch.

- Giant financial efforts: Without any doubt, they're not getting the sums they need.

- A strong politcal opposition that can be trusted with leadership positions: Do they have one? They equal politics we know with striving for power. In fact all ethnical groups in this country are strongly opposed to each other.

- A culture that is secular and laicist and accepts democracy and humanity: A literally lived Islam is incompatible with all of these aspects. PERIOD. Furthermore Afghanistan has been ruled undemocratically ever since. There was never a thing such as a democratical culture - no surprise in view of the fact that even the eldery had never seen a ballot box prior to 2004.

- Existence of a workforce of skilled craftmen and highly educated academics: Afghanistan had been a very academical society prior to 1979. Many of these young academics have fled the country in the first years of the civil war, many others have died. Some returned after 2001 such as Armin Farhang, an Afghan-born German who is now Afghanistan's Minister for Economy. Some refuse to return for obvious reasons.
But with literacy rate of only 30 percent nowadays you can't simply rebuild an economy with a click of your fingers. You need to educate the uneducated, make sure in meantime that they're not starving and that those who have graduated find a job where they can make a living. This progress alone might take decades or so.

- Knowledge of wealth: I remember a newspaper article about the reward the United States offer for Osama bin Laden. Some journalist asked a bunch of Afghan shepherds if they would betray the Sheikh for such an amount of money. They answered by calling him a liar. They simply weren't able to imagine that such a sum does exist. For sure many Afghans strive after a better life. But as desperate and aimless as they are, they'd rather try to flee the country of get into drug production and drug trafficking.

--------------------

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
D@V£
post Apr 7 2009, 14:09
Post #31

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

So, basically you're saying that neither US and Soviet occupation of Afghanistan worked because they didn't happen at the same time?

That would get the money there, it'd get the strong political opposition and I'll bet my bottom dollar that having them lot fighting each other to get control of your village for the sole reason that they both think the other side thinks it's important would be enough to shatter anyone's belief in a higher power tongue.gif

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Apr 7 2009, 14:53
Post #32

Group Icon

Ten-hut! Serious rants below! stupid.gif

The meaning of the word "reform" is the core of the hugest misunderstanding in the history of modern politics. The latin verb "Reformare" doesn't equal a meaning that contains doing something completely new. Literally translated it means "to rearrange" existent matters. A second big misunderstanding is the widespread believe that democracy would be followed by wealth, it's just vice versa. The people as a collective will opt for anything but democracy if it finds other things more promising for their current situation. It's a great thing to be allowed to vote every four years but I bet it loses some of its attractiveness if you die from hunger within a legislative period.

Fact is: Afghanistan is a desolate country with basically no infrastructure, no working economy and with a culture that embraces radical religiousness and outrules humanity as we know it.

How could you start to rearrange the political, economical and social life in Afghanistan from this basis?
Our politicians say: We must bring them democracy, that'll help them.
Then again democracy and the Afghan culture with literally lived Islam are like the two opposite sides of a lodestone. You can't rearrange matters in a satisfying way because the matters in concern are insufficient, and you can't bring something completely new to this country because new and old are incompatible there.

So what do you do? It would met the logic of my explanation to absolutely destroy everything that represents an obstacle for the introduction of democracy. I don't promote it, but neither do I have another explanation.

Our goal can't be the construction of a new state Afghanistan in Central Asia. Hear my words, Afghanistan will not be a democratic and functioning state within the next twenty or thirty years. To hope for everything else is utopist and we have to face that fact. Our goal can only be to lay the foundations for the Afghans to construct a new state if they themselves want so. We should get the hell out of there if this foundation is laid. The Canadians and the Dutch already have announced fixed dates of withdrawal if I remember correctly.

I'm curious why politicians would not be willing to suck my scolding. It seems to me that many Nato leaders - especially the Europan ones of course - could accept a withdrawal covered up as victory or at least as a stalemate.

The war ISAF wages has no casus belli other than the existence of two factions hostile to each other, it has no aims and it lacks of a strategy. In fact Chancellor Merkel could be right with her statement that there's no war in Afghanistan; It's rather a situation that looks like a war because it involves soldiers and all aspects of modern warfare. Foreign military forces police Afghanistan and try to secure or regain a fragile peace. Reactively or preemptively they conduct combat operations solely for this purpose. Reconstruction work is only meant to pacify the Afghans, it sure-as-hell is not conducted because the folks in Washington, London or Berlin who give the money are philanthropic nice guys. But what could a military de facto functioning as an armed-to-the-teeth-police have learned from the real fuzz? The game cops versus thugs doesn't know a winner.

--------------------

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
pMASTER
post May 7 2009, 18:32
Post #33

Group Icon

I'm posting this just because you hear and read news from the South of Afghanistan all the time and not much from other "fronts"...

Link

A bloody year

Gunbattles, suicide attacks, roadside bombs: The North of Afghanistan - often called "relatively peaceful" - turns into a powder keg in the eighth year of the war. Criminals are the main trouble makers in the province of Badakshan in Northeast Afghanistan. However the insurgency of the Taliban has already arrived in the provinces of Kunduz and Baghlan. Especially the districts of Aliabad and Charrah Darreh to the West and South of Kunduz are a war zone now. The Bundeswehr has lost the control there. That is no surprise at all though: Since the Germans have to handle logistics and administration for all allied troops in the North, they have only a small percentage of troops available for combat operations: NATO numbers their strength by categorizing them as a battle group, a reinforced battalion in German terms - not more than 600 men, which are supposed to maintain order in a region, which is as large as the German state of Schleswig-Holstein (where as many 6000 police officers serve).

A German soldier secures the outskirts of a village, whilst his platoon leader has a talk with the villages elders about security issues

That not even more German casualties in these disquiet districts had to be mourned is only because of two factors: A quantitative one, since when there are only few "boots on the ground" there are only few soldiers in danger, too. And moreover: Pure luck. Because what happens there is a war despite of all attempts of the Federal Government to downplay this fact, and German soldiers are involved into the most fierce combat operations since the end of World War Two. The past twelve months will make history as the most grim year for the Bundeswehr since its foundation. 5 soldiers killed in action, 41 wounded in action - that is the bloody result of only one year of a military operation, which cannot be taken into short definitions due to its numerous geopolitical facets. The worst losses were suffered by Mechanized Infantry Battalion 391, Paratrooper Battalion 263 and Light Infantry Battalion 292: The majority of all German casualties were soldiers of these units.

Something is often missed though: German soldiers do not simply die in Afghanistan, they fall. In combat. When a heavily armed infantry platoon is searching for Taliban fighters, gets into a firefight and sustaines casualties, then this is no coward murder and no crime like Foreign Affairs Minister Frank-Walther Steinmeier (SPD) put it recently. A soldier who falls in combat cannot be compared to a civilian which is killed by a bomb in a night club im Bali. It is simply war. "Instead of learning that you must fight the evil, you have learned that it is evil to fight", said Dennis Prager once about Germans. We have unlearned heroism, too: We live in a post-heroic society, which associates an inferior, innocent and helpless individual with the term Opfer, but not selfess commitment for a higher purpose and ideals [Note: The word Opfer can be translated as "victim" and as "sacrifice"]. That is no miracle though: We have lost our ideals. The entire matter is so interesting exactly because of this.

"Germany is defended at the Hundu Kush", Minister of Defense Peter Struck said once. Nowadays this phrase is regarded as an example for the bigotry of the Federal Government, which - according to certain circles - chums up with Uncle Sam and wages an illegal war for him. Many Germans think the phrase of Peter Struck was absurd, due to the absolute abscence of ideals they cannot understand how one could dedicate himself to "values of the West". At best they think it is arrogant to preach these values elsewhere. But if the Taliban pour acid over girls just because these girls want to go to school, the folks in question are angry nonetheless. How ironic: Western values would help here. This is where the circle is closed, by the way: The government is to be blamed for this situation as it denies at all that a war is waged in Afghanistan (for whatever cause). This is bloody reality. German soldiers not only fall in combat, they also kill. The government avoids this fact like the devil avoids holy water, and only journalists and semi-official sources such as the Reservist's Association still want to handle this hot potato.

Map of Afghanistan

The facts: German soldiers have been attacked numerous times in the aforesaid provinces during the past year. Most frequently with roadside bombs and suicide attacks. Barrages of 107mm rockets and mortar shells constantly hail down on the German camps in Kunduz and Faizabad: At an average, the soldiers spend every third night in bunkers because of indirect fire. More and more often they get into perfidiously planned ambushes though. Contrary to what Chief-of-Staff Wolfgang Schneiderhan said, these were militarily planned even before the April 29 and often turned into battles which lasted for hours - and often needed to be finished with close air support. On the April 23 it was that time again: But on this occasion an American F-15 breaking through the sonic wall over their heads was enough to repell the attackers. Even without planes being involved the ambushes can turn into stormy affairs: In May 2008 for example a patrol got into a firefight off Faizabad, killed two attackers and wounded nine.

In August a Master Sergeant of Paratrooper Battalion 263 fell, when his unit was ambushed at the banks of river Kunduz with a roadside bomb and small arms fire. Three of his comrades were wounded as well and the patrol had to pull back. In memory of Mischa Meier a bridge will be named after him. However, since a few weeks ago not even the surroundings of the city of Kunduz can be called safe anymore: On April 7, the day where Federal Chancellor Angela Merkel visited the German PRT, a fierce battle for the construction site of the bridge began. German guards took heavy fire by small arms and RPGs. The gunfight lasted long into the night. In the outskirts alike a patrol was ambushed twice on April 14: On its way into the mission and when it travelled back again, while it was supposed to transport a wounded captive to the camp.

In fact the ambush the platoon of Light Infantry Battalion 292 got into last week has to be the most sophisticated one. At an unclear site the unit had been stopped by a roadside bomb and immediately took heavy fire. The soldiers broke through and tried to evade the attackers, only to get into the actual ambush: At least 50 insurgents, waiting in well prepared positions, permanently fired at the patrol. Two suicide bombers on bikes tried to blow themselves up amongst the fighting Germans. During this battle a German corporal died when an RPG directly struck his "Fuchs" armoured personnel carrier. But he did not die as a victim of a coward murder. He died fighting with his machine gun in the back hatch of the apc. At least three attackes were killed by the Germans, but probably were many more killed. Even before this incident the Bundeswehr took on the Taliban: Just a week ago a larger operation was conducted in Kunduz Province, where 4 insurgents were killed and another 40 detained.

--------------------

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
wipman
post Jun 9 2009, 00:24
Post #34

Member No.: 476

Hi, a video of the spanish IDM units in our armed forces day:

- Spanish Marine Infantry (and some army units):

Let's C ya

--------------------

Quote Post
Blackscorpion
post Jun 17 2009, 21:21
Post #35

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Rifleman-in-Charge

Member No.: 270

Our weapon team in action (FAF photos)...

"Tac" stuff

NBC alert!

This post has been edited by Blackscorpion: Jun 17 2009, 21:23

--------------------
Hakkaa päälle Pohjan poika!

Words were coming out of my fingertips faster than my thoughts could process them in my brains... My plead is for temporary insanity that was caused by permanent insanity of very, very twisted nerve cluster that's called brain matter, that's supposed to be grey but isn't, it's black and has a somewhat sarcastic and dark sense of humor, or lacks it totally.

The self-appointed God of Scor Nango. Not an emperor, just... God.

Quote Post
Blackbuck
post Jul 2 2009, 17:28
Post #36

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Appointed Olivia Wilde Stalker
Group Icon

Member No.: 113

Two airmen have been killed in a crash involving a Tornado F.3 from Leuchars earlier today. BBC Story

Rest in Piece Gentlemen.

--------------------

--------------------
Heed my words or risk being beaten with a stick then fed to my associate D@V£
The Rules - Most places have rules, these are ours Read them!
Moderation Feedback Thread - Let everyone know how much you don't like D@V£
--------------------

Quote Post
Blackbuck
post Jul 3 2009, 09:34
Post #37

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Appointed Olivia Wilde Stalker
Group Icon

Member No.: 113

Of the British casualties in Afghanistan yesterday one of them was a Lieutenant Colonel. The highest ranking officer to die in a combat zone since the events that claimed Col. H. Jones' life in 1982.

--------------------

--------------------
Heed my words or risk being beaten with a stick then fed to my associate D@V£
The Rules - Most places have rules, these are ours Read them!
Moderation Feedback Thread - Let everyone know how much you don't like D@V£
--------------------

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Jul 3 2009, 09:37
Post #38

Group Icon

Oi, that's quite a hard loss.

--------------------

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
AndreAce
post Jul 7 2009, 12:59
Post #39

Member No.: 3,676

Just some statistics @Afghanistan & Insurgent activities:

Average daily insurgent initiated attacks

Security Summary April '09 v. January-April '08

Edit: On July 6,four German soldiers have been awarded the Bundeswehr Cross/Medal of Honor for the first time.

-Hauptfeldwebel Jan Berges
-Hauptfeldwebel Alexander Ditzen
-Oberfeldwebel Markus Geist
-Hauptfeldwebel Henry Lukacz

Congrats biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by AndreAce: Jul 7 2009, 13:10

--------------------

Quote Post
Blackhawk
post Jul 12 2009, 11:01
Post #40

Member No.: 3,122

8 British Soldiers were killed within 24 hours yesterday, 5 were killed during a road side bomb and 3 were killed during separate events, this is bring the death toll to 15 dead within a week. The British Government is still denying that the forces are under-equipped, there by refusing orders for more Chinooks being deployed. The Leader of the Conservative party called it a "Scandal".

In my opinion our Government need to grab the tail between their legs and give our forces equipment that will make them safe but also increase the success rate in Helmend.

--------------------

Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:52