Forum Rules ArmedAssault.info Forum Rules

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ideas, mission inspiration...
TacticalyMalici0us
post Sep 23 2010, 13:34
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,086

ok so I pretty much make new "missions" everyday and i have gotten to the point that making one now only takes me about 1/2 an hour to set up a truely intense battle...
My problem is....90% of my missions arent really missions at all, more of a fight scenario....find a good place for a battle on the map (preferably duala) and then I go from there...
I always end up with a great fight but yet no point to it :/
Finding the inspiration for a good ending seem's to a complicated part of making the missions....
Just curious as to how to make missions that are enjoyable to create yet have some point of being created...a good ending, a purpose for all the fighting.
What are some great end game scenarios that you guys use?

--------------------
SAVE IN CASE OF CRASH!

Quote Post
D@V£
post Sep 23 2010, 16:36
Post #2

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

There should probably be a special topic for stuff like this... so... this is it. Pinned.

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
TacticalyMalici0us
post Sep 24 2010, 13:36
Post #3

Right on....a sticky wink.gif

So yeah...I have this mission I been working on for days now...its on Tropica Island around the prison area...wicked major battle, lil cov-ops here and there....all out fun.....only thing is the ending.
All I can come up with for endings are usually all enemies not present or bluefor-opfor seizes an area.
I guess thats basically how everyone ends them, right?

I dont know, one of the things that always left me impressed with a designers mission making was how he ended it.....everyones dead or seizing an area just doesnt quite feel like a realistic ending for me.

What about you D@VE....any ideas?

--------------------
SAVE IN CASE OF CRASH!

Quote Post
D@V£
post Sep 24 2010, 18:55
Post #4

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

I was discussing with Jahve, something like a Warfare mission might be good, except rather than the player being part of the warfare game, they have their own objectives, like in a regular scenario. It'd make a lot more interesting environment than simply using the ambient patrols module.

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
TacticalyMalici0us
post Sep 24 2010, 19:14
Post #5

QUOTE(D@V£ @ Sep 24 2010, 10:55) *
I was discussing with Jahve, something like a Warfare mission might be good, except rather than the player being part of the warfare game, they have their own objectives, like in a regular scenario. It'd make a lot more interesting environment than simply using the ambient patrols module.

Thats kinda like what I try to achieve in my missions....
as much ambient combat around the player while said player is trying to carry out objectives...
Sometimes I emphasize a little too much on AC (aint war fun) and get totaly side tracked from the main obj's but after a while I get back on track when I realize all the fighting is bogging down my poor little machine :/

Right now I use a script for the ACM I found on a forum...somewhere....Created by: (AEF)Wolffy.au [2CAV] along with the random aerial patrols
a mortar script I found , cant remember who wrote it but it basically fires on detected units.
At the same time the player needs to destory two ammo cache's then link up with his team and move foawrd to join the battle already in progress.

just wish I could figure out a good ending for it.....
As for the warfare thing I never did figure out how to use that in the editor.

--------------------
SAVE IN CASE OF CRASH!

Quote Post
TacticalyMalici0us
post Sep 25 2010, 15:08
Post #6

Another thing I'm curious about is...
where do you guys get the inspiration for a mission?
Does it start with the name, the ending, the fight scene or just random?

Most of my missions never start with a thought at all lol...
pick a map, pick a spot, place a few units, see how the fight goes and if I like the battle then I start building around that.
Could be one of my problems with my missions never really having direction but for whatever reason the ones I just slapped together at random seem to always be the most fun.

--------------------
SAVE IN CASE OF CRASH!

Quote Post
stan779
post Sep 25 2010, 15:43
Post #7

Member No.: 2,379

Read a book. Watch the news. Get informed, the ideas will flow. thumbsup.gif

Quote Post
TacticalyMalici0us
post Sep 25 2010, 16:10
Post #8

QUOTE(stan779 @ Sep 25 2010, 07:43) *
Read a book. Watch the news. Get informed, the ideas will flow. thumbsup.gif

Actually one of my ideas did come from a book "The unforgiving minute"

This post has been edited by TacticalyMalici0us: Sep 25 2010, 19:08

--------------------
SAVE IN CASE OF CRASH!

Quote Post
el_duderino
post Jan 18 2011, 20:37
Post #9

Member No.: 8,536

good inspiration i think would come from movies like the "The Green Zone". I would like to see some missions like that be made

Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 00:18