IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules ArmedAssault.info Forum Rules

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arma 1 and 2 for Linux petition - please sign it!, Petition to ask BiStudio to allow porting of ArmA 1 and 2 to Linux
xnsinex
post Jun 20 2009, 03:55
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,977

Hi there! I was referred to this site from the bistudio boards. I'm trying to gather enough support to convince Bohemian Interactive Studios to allow their games including ArmA 1 and 2 to be ported to the Linux system. I made an online petition about it. The petition is right here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/saf3509/petition.html

A board where questions about this petition can be asked was opened and it's here:

http://gameslinux.proboards.com/

If enough ArmA games fans join and show their support, maybe Bohemian Interactive Studios will allow linux ports of ArmA 1 and 2. We can make this a reality!

thanks! smile.gif

Quote Post
bluemoon
post Jun 20 2009, 12:17
Post #2

Member No.: 4,550

I've signed it. You should know though, it's Bohemia Interactive Studios. Not Bohemian thumbsup.gif

Quote Post
xnsinex
post Jun 20 2009, 18:08
Post #3

QUOTE(bluemoon @ Jun 20 2009, 12:17) *
I've signed it. You should know though, it's Bohemia Interactive Studios. Not Bohemian thumbsup.gif

Oh sorry. I'll change it. And thanks for signing it! smile.gif

Quote Post
Supr3me KiLL3r
post Jun 21 2009, 04:23
Post #4

Member No.: 3,465

Not to rain on your parade, but these online petitions simply don't do anything. I wouldn't be surprised if BI Studios never even sees it. I say this because there are literally thousands of petitions for things like this on the web, and not a single one has produced a result. Bohemia Interactive has no financial incentive to port ArmA to Linux. It costs money to do that, and the benefits probably do not outweigh the costs.

I don't have that much experience with linux, but can't you just run ArmA through Wine? If not, you'll have to dual boot linux with XP or Vista.

--------------------
My Armed Assault Youtube page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYwE-HkeYuQ

Quote Post
xnsinex
post Jun 22 2009, 02:06
Post #5

QUOTE(Supr3me KiLL3r @ Jun 21 2009, 04:23) *
Not to rain on your parade, but these online petitions simply don't do anything. I wouldn't be surprised if BI Studios never even sees it. I say this because there are literally thousands of petitions for things like this on the web, and not a single one has produced a result. Bohemia Interactive has no financial incentive to port ArmA to Linux. It costs money to do that, and the benefits probably do not outweigh the costs.

I don't have that much experience with linux, but can't you just run ArmA through Wine? If not, you'll have to dual boot linux with XP or Vista.

Oh, of course, I completely understand what you are saying. I myself believe that about online petitions too, but in this case it's a little different, or so I believe it is. I have talked with representatives from Bohemia Interactive Studios directly before, last year actually. Maybe with a verified track of (many) signatures from fans of the BiS games they can be contacted again.

Regarding the financial aspect of it, the petition is not for BiS to do the porting themselves. It's only for them to allow an experienced 3rd party to do so. I know people who at a company called Linux Game Publishing who would do all the actual porting. Don't underestimate the potential linux gaming base. An older BiS game like Operation Flashpoint could easily run in one of those netbooks that are so popular these days. I know, OpF is not a "casual" game, but still, it's good to reach a potential market like linux. smile.gif

This post has been edited by xnsinex: Jun 22 2009, 02:12

Quote Post
mindedie
post Jun 23 2009, 11:59
Post #6

Member No.: 6,007

I signed and xnsinex you should put links to nix-game related sites.

Wine don't run all games and if run, not always with good performance.
About dual-boot. Boot to window only for game... PC not only for games. If pc only for games then just buy gaming console?

Native supported games one more reason to drop your windows and go to more stable OS.

Quote Post
White Angel
post Jun 24 2009, 12:25
Post #7

Member No.: 1,532

I practice a lot ArmA-coop on linux server with R3F ; a french tactical team with about 25 members. (http://forum.team-r3f.org/)

We installed two ArmA game-servers (one public with a domination, second private with our coop) on a linux OS, without one crash from the beginning of ArmA until now. We never reboot the OS and we have never had problems like lag ... with a lot of people playing on each game servers. (25-30 each)
Our server run also a site, a forum, a wiki and Teamspeak without any problems ...

From the 19th of june we have bought a windows server for playing with ArmA II. We transfert all our tools on it (site, forum, TS, ...)
Yestarday, we begin to have lagg on it, playing coop. We need to close our public server for playing on our private coop.

We think that this would not have been case with our Linux server.

We wait with impatience for the BIS Linux server.

--------------------

Quote Post
xnsinex
post Jun 25 2009, 10:05
Post #8

QUOTE(White Angel @ Jun 24 2009, 12:25) *
I practice a lot ArmA-coop on linux server with R3F ; a french tactical team with about 25 members. (http://forum.team-r3f.org/)

We installed two ArmA game-servers (one public with a domination, second private with our coop) on a linux OS, without one crash from the beginning of ArmA until now. We never reboot the OS and we have never had problems like lag ... with a lot of people playing on each game servers. (25-30 each)
Our server run also a site, a forum, a wiki and Teamspeak without any problems ...

From the 19th of june we have bought a windows server for playing with ArmA II. We transfert all our tools on it (site, forum, TS, ...)
Yestarday, we begin to have lagg on it, playing coop. We need to close our public server for playing on our private coop.

We think that this would not have been case with our Linux server.

We wait with impatience for the BIS Linux server.

Well, since this effort is aimed at getting a ArmA 1 and maybe ArmA 2 native linux binary deal closed, getting a linux dedicated server would be right alongside. smile.gif Sign the petition please! smile.gif

Quote Post
xnsinex
post Jun 27 2009, 02:53
Post #9

QUOTE(mindedie @ Jun 23 2009, 11:59) *
I signed and xnsinex you should put links to nix-game related sites.

Wine don't run all games and if run, not always with good performance.
About dual-boot. Boot to window only for game... PC not only for games. If pc only for games then just buy gaming console?

Native supported games one more reason to drop your windows and go to more stable OS.

Thanks man! smile.gif Yeah, Im putting this on many *nix game sites too. I'm hoping I can get more interested people too! smile.gif

Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:03