Closed TopicStart new topic
> Armed Assault as a training simulation tool
Patton-Zhukov von Manstein
post Feb 22 2009, 12:35
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,186

Good day.
I'm a Spanish Army 2nd Lieutenant that would like to use Armed Assault as a limited "serious" training tool. I need to write a report convincing my superiors that ARMA is a feasible solution. However, I haven't played this game seriously (my personal comp is still waaay too old to get more than like 7 fps biggrin.gif ), and would like to ask for some assistance.

I would like to ask for...

+Some screenshots (just 2 or 3) demonstrating the realism of Armed Assault, specifically the implementation of topography (I've found many screenshots of combat, etc, but NONE on the whole web showing the topographic map). Screenshots of other parts of the game that could show the potential employment for training would be really appreciated.

+Some advice on any realism mod developed for ARMA.

+Some advice about the status of AI. If I remember correctly, when I last played the game there were many, many AI and pathing problems. Have these been solved? Can I assign a player a squad or even a platoon of AI soldiers and expect them to behave correctly? (I don't want them to be super-intelligent killing machines, but I would want them to at least act coherently and follow orders properly).

+Suggestions about some missions already made emphasyzing tactical and doctrinal realism (for example, if the mission involves attacking a company-sized light infantry defensive position, the defenders are correctly organized and logically placed; they're not just 120 guys randomly scattered with lots of MGs).

+About the EULA, does anybody know if it would be legal to use ARMA like this, or should I ask BI for special permission?

I know I ask for a lot of specific things, so please don't waste your time on this if it requires too much work or something. Given the fact that nobody here knows me and this is my first post in these forums, I'm already abusing your generosity by just making you spend your time on reading this! unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Patton-Zhukov von Manstein: Feb 22 2009, 12:38

Quote Post
D@V£
post Feb 22 2009, 12:56
Post #2

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

I think that the EULA might forbid this. But the big one you're looking at is the realism mods. I remeber a while back there was an issue regarding the US army using community created content in their own OFP-derived simulator.

Frankly, you'd be better off looking at VBS2, which is designed for military application.

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
Linker Split
post Feb 22 2009, 14:44
Post #3

literally the BIG BOSS of OFP
Group Icon

Group: Addon Maker
Member No.: 66

QUOTE(D@V£ @ Feb 22 2009, 12:56) *
I think that the EULA might forbid this. But the big one you're looking at is the realism mods. I remeber a while back there was an issue regarding the US army using community created content in their own OFP-derived simulator.

Frankly, you'd be better off looking at VBS2, which is designed for military application.

agree

ArmA is also not a good simulator game, while VBS2 is ONLY for that

--------------------
Visit my blog about Poker at Blogspot.com

-->TUTORIAL ON HOW TO MAKE NORMAL MAPPING IN ARMA!<--
-->MATERIAL EDITOR TUTORIAL!<--
-->DOWNLOAD MY HDT ISLAND!<--
judgement = hypocritical and slightly deluded

Quote Post
Patton-Zhukov von Manstein
post Feb 22 2009, 16:19
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,186

QUOTE(Linker Split @ Feb 22 2009, 14:44) *
agree

ArmA is also not a good simulator game, while VBS2 is ONLY for that

Any idea what could be the costs involved? This is a small scale, unofficial project, and we only plan to acquire like 4-6 copies for the moment.

Quote Post
D@V£
post Feb 22 2009, 18:36
Post #5

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Member No.: 155

The rules of these forums don't really allow VBS2 discussion I'm afraid. Here's a link to their site:
http://virtualbattlespace.vbs2.com/

I think the license on VBS2 isn't as restricted as ArmA's (once again, I'm not entirely sure about this), meaning you won't need to buy that many copies. But it a lot more expensive. (I remeber the VBS1 versions were around £200, don't know much about the pricing of VBS2 though)

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
Blackbuck
post Feb 22 2009, 19:00
Post #6

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Appointed Olivia Wilde Stalker
Group Icon

Member No.: 113

Seeing as we don't discuss VBS here I'm closing this thread. It would be as D@V£ linked best to enquire.

Closed

--------------------

--------------------
Heed my words or risk being beaten with a stick then fed to my associate D@V£
The Rules - Most places have rules, these are ours Read them!
Moderation Feedback Thread - Let everyone know how much you don't like D@V£
--------------------

Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:05