Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules ArmedAssault.info Forum Rules
> Meh, Realism Srealism...
Horuseye
post Jan 12 2009, 04:01
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,885

I like FPS's where bullets hurt,.. a lot. My favorite FPS is Stalker on master difficulty - four shots and you're out, yeah good times. weapons_owned.gif

In principle I like the idea of "realistic" military FSP's. But there are two things that annoys me to no end about the whole Tom Clancy's line and the like.
A. Even a popgun kills in on one shot, two tops. That by itself wouldn't be so bad if...
B. The enemy is insanely accurate, and I mean really really accurate, as in pumped you full of lead from 100+ m in one second.

ArmA it seems faithully implemented those two two and sold it as "realistic"

Just how much punisment a human body can take is debatable, some people survived a half a dosen gunshots and others are brought down by small caliber popguns. But I do think that a strong healthy male with an armor vest rated to stop 7.62mm i. e. you... should be able to survive getting shot in the chest by the said 7.62mm. And helmets DO save lives, they are not just for decoration.

About point B, when I played Direct Hit mission, I got on top of the hill and commensed to disintegrate enemy tanks, untill I got wated by a stray bullet. Confused I tried again, this time I alerted the enemy and lay prone to see how long I would last under file, to my horror some guy with a lousy AK wasted me from a 100m on a second burst. So I toned donw the accuracy ALL the way down, well it did exted my life expectancy... to 3 seconds. w00t.gif

Curious I downloaded some editing tools and after a week of frustration opened the weapon config files and was amused that precision spread for most auto weapons was half, yes HALF a meter per 100m. Just think about this for a second, this kind of spread means that more often than not you'll hit a standing person 200 freaking meters away... on FULL AUTO. It seems that BI's got its specs stright from manufacturers and target ranges. Yes I know that under ideal conditions even a noob that has never fired a rifle before can score 9/10 on human sized target at 200m.

But even a cursory research shows that at typical miss to hit ratio under battlefield conditions is over 100, sometimes WAY over.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't crush my comp every time I try to mod ArmA, but there you go that's my 5 cents... f*ckoff.gif

This post has been edited by Horuseye: Jan 12 2009, 04:02

Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Closed TopicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 10:14