Forum Rules Forum Rules

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need feedback on YBSM beta
allen
post Dec 9 2007, 02:37
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,724

ive created sort of beta version, but now I want some1 to see which sounds need to be improved. all sounds were recorded from youtube (check the movie description), id like some feedback please.

then i will improve it and at last upload so you can try it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfBeU8X-0PE

Quote Post
Dragz
post Dec 9 2007, 03:39
Post #2

Member No.: 1,834

NEVER record sounds from youtube.
Bad qualitiy, I hear that.
The next bad thing is the hall. Often, the sounds have to much of them, and the next is, your rockets sounds are to long.
The rocket explode but the sound is still active.
Blackhawk engine sound is worse,

Search a better soundsource than youtube ;-)

Quote Post
Linker Split
post Dec 9 2007, 11:10
Post #3

literally the BIG BOSS of OFP
Group Icon

Group: Addon Maker
Member No.: 66

you'd better posted it on addon WIP section.
anyway, Dragz is perfectly right: don't use youtube sounds, but try to find some sounds from sites, or on eMule... smile.gif

--------------------
Visit my blog about Poker at Blogspot.com

-->TUTORIAL ON HOW TO MAKE NORMAL MAPPING IN ARMA!<--
-->MATERIAL EDITOR TUTORIAL!<--
-->DOWNLOAD MY HDT ISLAND!<--
judgement = hypocritical and slightly deluded

Quote Post
JdB
post Dec 9 2007, 16:35
Post #4

Hipster addonmaker

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 10

The sounds are actually not that bad considering they're from Youtube, the rocket sound lasts after the rocket has already hit the ground, but that is because sound travels slower than light, and so the impact is visible before the sound ends. This was already so in OFP.

--------------------
Creator of dodgy ArmA:CWA addons.

Quote Post
DaRat
post Dec 9 2007, 17:07
Post #5

~Established April, 2004~

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 34

I quite agree with JdB, I really don't think it sounds too bad at all considering it's off youtube smile.gif

Needed improvements IMO: Blackhawk sound altogether (sounds strange, can't hear the rotors, just the whiney engine), the .50cals sound a bit tinny (need to sound more powerful - could use some bass), UAZ engine seems a little quiet, perhaps get a better sound source for the AK because of that echo (the next shot cuts the echo short, just sounds wrong IMO), M249 sounds like it's being fired about 50ft from the player (that's probably how it was in the video you recorded it from tongue.gif), same for the m240, quite a bit of echo on the SVD (see AK).

But all in all, I think it's a pretty damn good effort so far, just a few adjustments needed. Well done smile.gif

Quote Post
allen
post Dec 9 2007, 20:00
Post #6

thanks for the info guys, i think the sounds are kind of screechy too, but i like it better this way than any other mod, because all the other mods have inaccurate sounds, and some mods even have ofp sounds implemented. i first tried to find CSM first version but was impossible so I thought what a heck, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

I have to agree with first 2 topics and i knew it from start, the youtube cant provide high sound quality and I wont be able to accomplish what i wanted using youtube as sounds resource. It's quite limited realism.

But in the other hand, I would rather be using accurate but distorted real weapon sounds, than powerful and cleaner sounds of any other mod which dont have anything to do with real weapons.

Someone suggested that I use sound source other than youtube. Yeah, id like that too, but can you suggest me other? I dont know where other guys got their sounds from, but I cant find real weapon sounds anywhere else. I tried using google, p2p programs arent of any help either. Ok I found some sound effect pages but they offered low quality sounds for free, and you need to pay for each hi-q sound. Of course they didn't offer all sounds needed in arma.

So I see no alternative to using other people's recording. I got no weapon, and also got no intention to buy quality recording equipment, then join the army for collecting real sounds happy.gif

This may be part when all of you come in. Guys who are able to get real recordings or possess weapons could help. Uaz owners too happy.gif

The simplest solution would be that you help searching the web for sounds of greater quality, whether it's on youtube or any other source.

For example, you know how real blackhawk sounds and write comment on sound I used: "blackhawk sound altogether (sounds strange, can't hear the rotors, just the whiney engine)",
great, you could help by doing exactly what I did,
1) go to youtube (or anywhere else where you can hear real bhawk's engine)
2) type: "UH-60" or "blackhawk", search the videos for the one with most accurate heli sound
3) come back to forum and post link to that video

Ill do the rest. For heli sounds, you need heli while hovering or passing close and slow enough to camera to hear 2-3 seconds of same frequency motor sound.

keep posting your opinions please

Quote Post
Linker Split
post Dec 9 2007, 20:08
Post #7

Group Icon

we had a friend of mine who has given us real weapon sounds to use in our BHD MOD (indeed he fought in Somalia in 1993) smile.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
allen
post Dec 10 2007, 14:44
Post #8

hello agaim. ive changed sounds you mentioned. I think they sound better now, but I'm sure that still there is more than enough room for improvement. I plan to make this like "open source" mod after I finish first phase and upload it somewhere so people can try it themselves.

But, what I wanted to ask is:
1) Can you change weapon's rate of fire? for example, I want to change m240's rate of fire, because comparing to youtubes videos, it's firing too fast in game.
Here is the weapon's code in config.bin:
class M240: Rifle
{
drySound[] = {"\ModWar\GunFX\M249_dry","db-90",1};
class manual: Mode_FullAuto
{
sound[] = {"\ModWar\GunFX\M240_SS_A","db+0",1};
soundContinuous = 0;
soundBurst = 0;
};
class close: manual{};
class short: close{};
class medium: close{};
class far: close{};
};
I think only this line may help: "sound[] = {"\ModWar\GunFX\M240_SS_A","db+0",1};"
Whats this db+0, 1?

2) How do I change mod name? I was editing ModWarSound and I wish to change pbo names. I tried by replacing all the paths in config.bin files from \ModWar\ to \MyModName\ but it didn't work.

EDIT:
I tried changing db+0 value to db+10 and it resulted in disabling all mod sounds, not just m240's sound.

Quote Post
allen
post Dec 10 2007, 17:45
Post #9

some sounds have been changed. Again, please tell me what needs to be improved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8iGg4hf97k

Quote Post
allen
post Dec 12 2007, 21:58
Post #10

How can I let first bullet's echo effect uninterrupted by another bullet fired? It's like playing two songs at the same time, so you get mixture of both.

So you fire M240 mgun and sounds go like this:

Timeline:

b1-bullet 1 sound
e1-first bullets echo sound
b2,e2-same for 2nd bullet

Quote Post
Linker Split
post Dec 13 2007, 00:34
Post #11

Group Icon

you simply can't (if you want to apply the sound to a weapon defined in class cfgWeapons) smile.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
allen
post Dec 13 2007, 22:54
Post #12

stupid game happy.gif
why oh god why does the mgun sound like fartbox

hey, whats this:
sound[] = { "\YBSM\GunFX\M240_SS_A", "db+0", 1 };
soundContinuous = 0;
soundBurst = 0;
reloadTime = 0.077419;

db+0, 1 is what?
soundContinuous = 0??

EDIT:
ok ive found out that soundContinuous = 1 doesn't cut off the last bullet's sound with another, but I need 2 sounds to overlap, not to wait til 1st ends then firing next. seems like db+0 is for amplifying and the 1 seems to be for turning the sound on(1) or off(0), but i dont understand whats the point.

oh ffs is there another way to play the sounds, uninterrupted?

Quote Post
allen
post Dec 17 2007, 20:02
Post #13

ok, for last couple of days I was testing the mod and I see no problems except with ak74 sound in ais hands. Its weird. Sometimes when ai shoots ak you can hear old, default ak sound, but when i kill that ai soldier and take his gun, it sounds normal and ok. Also, sometimes ak fired by ai sounds normal, sometimes not, dunno on what it depends.

Why is that? There is no ak47 in game, right? only ak74 and its other versions? I tried all ak sounds in game and all were working ok except in multiplayer sometimes when ai shoots it. Why is it happening?

Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 14:10