Forum Rules ArmedAssault.info Forum Rules

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> some questions
Chappie
post Dec 13 2006, 00:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 369

do you guys think they will eventually add fighters that can dogfight in air to the game? i never played OFP (well, never except demos and at friends at scatered times) and i never noticed an F-15/16 or any other kind of fighter plane, nor any migs/su's. to me it seems to be the key ingredient missing. i for one used to compete in leagues in such back in DC (probably the most successful mod for BF1942) and BF2 and was one of the better pilots. (or atleast so im told....and so my ego tells me naughty.gif ) i realize this is a different game, and a different kind, but i think thats the beauty of it: have dogfights OFP (i guess now the series is ArmA?) style. a real pilot community would be awesome here. (or rather a jet pilot, i supose helo communities are already thriving)

yeah i rambled again, anyway does anyone know if BIS is planning on eventually adding that aspect into the game, or do you think they will at all?

Quote Post
DaRat
post Dec 13 2006, 00:38
Post #2

~Established April, 2004~

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 34

They don't even need to Copy of rolleyes.gif
Most of the stuff we use in OFP today is made by the community - BIS just makes the engine, the community makes the decent vehicles, soldiers, etc...
Take a look at ofp.info addons section - you can expect all of that and more made for ArmA Copy of rolleyes.gif

Quote Post
Chappie
post Dec 13 2006, 00:45
Post #3

QUOTE(da rat @ Dec 12 2006, 18:38) *

They don't even need to Copy of rolleyes.gif
Most of the stuff we use in OFP today is made by the community - BIS just makes the engine, the community makes the decent vehicles, soldiers, etc...
Take a look at ofp.info addons section - you can expect all of that and more made for ArmA Copy of rolleyes.gif

yes, but is that stuff used in multi play? i mean thats why i really want this game, for the multiplayer value...

Quote Post
DaRat
post Dec 13 2006, 01:00
Post #4

~Established April, 2004~

Member No.: 34

QUOTE(Chappie @ Dec 12 2006, 23:45) *

yes, but is that stuff used in multi play? i mean thats why i really want this game, for the multiplayer value...

Depends on the server and if they want to host them, but as a rule of thumb, most addons are compatible on mp wink.gif

Quote Post
JdB
post Dec 13 2006, 01:19
Post #5

Hipster addonmaker

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(Chappie @ Dec 13 2006, 00:45) *

Well, OFP was not suited for fast jets because the islands were really too small for it (more suited for ground attack aircraft like the A10 and AH64). I am not entirely sure on the size of Sahrani (read somewhere that it is about the same size as Nogova, but seems unlikely). It was not added by BIS as OFP is primarily a ground war simulator, with the possibility to go airborne.

It can be added, provided that the visibility in the air has been improved so that you can actually see more then 1km ahead of you.

--------------------
Creator of dodgy ArmA:CWA addons.

Quote Post
Jimboob
post Dec 13 2006, 01:32
Post #6

Member No.: 352

QUOTE(JdB @ Dec 13 2006, 00:19) *

(read somewhere that it is about the same size as Nogova, but seems unlikely).

Sahrani is 400km², Nogova was 100km²

QUOTE(JdB @ Dec 13 2006, 00:19) *

It can be added, provided that the visibility in the air has been improved so that you can actually see more then 1km ahead of you.

Max visibility possible is 10km smile.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
JdB
post Dec 13 2006, 01:48
Post #7

Hipster addonmaker

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(Jimboob @ Dec 13 2006, 01:32) *

Max visibility possible is 10km smile.gif

When run on NASA's supercomputers, ArmA is lagging for people with pretty new computers, a patch or 2 will hopefully improve that.

--------------------
Creator of dodgy ArmA:CWA addons.

Quote Post
Chappie
post Dec 13 2006, 03:32
Post #8

so, do you think maybe now with the size quadrupling the original, that bis will expand the open end side of gameplay? if not, maybe a full mod (not individiuals creation, but something like V.I.R.U.S[purely as an example, not saying virus will wink.gif])

Quote Post
BigglesTrevor
post Dec 13 2006, 10:54
Post #9

The Il2 Fan

Member No.: 25

the harrier looks pretty fast so maybe fighters will be better in ArmA. somone put a map of nogova over the sahrani map, nogovas about the same size as south sahrani.

--------------------

Quote Post
Jason
post Dec 13 2006, 22:12
Post #10

Newshound

Member No.: 403

The harrier is quite fast... although addons soon to be made by public will make planes flying at warp speeds... maybe.

--------------------

Quote Post
NeMeSiS
post Dec 13 2006, 22:19
Post #11

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(JdB @ Dec 13 2006, 01:48) *

When run on NASA's supercomputers, ArmA is lagging for people with pretty new computers, a patch or 2 will hopefully improve that.

Actually, due to better memery handling (thank those OFP:Elite) ArmA on normal details with 10000m viewdistance runs better then OFP with 5000m (still unplayable though, but 5-10FPS isnt that bad compared to OFP (2-5FPS), and it doesnt 'hang' everytime i turn around like in OFP)

--------------------
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum.
[img]http://www.impossible-quiz.com/images/badges/95-3.gif[img]
Impossible Quiz

Quote Post
Comrade Medved'
post Dec 14 2006, 23:20
Post #12

Member No.: 451

IMHO fighters are for beautiful cutscenes and storyline peculiarities. They can't be implemented without affecting the realism. In real life air-to-air combat often ends before participants are 10km close to each other. I've been playing OFP since 2002 and downloaded fighter addons only cause I'm keen on combat aviation. AA combat in OFP:
1) u are going thru the blurried lightgray soup
2) u see the red square on the HUD
3) 'pixel LOCKED' - fire at will! Malajn.gif
4) pixel became white - desired result achieved.

--------------------
Vodka, balalaika, matrjoshka, shapka-ushanka...

Quote Post
Red Square Monkey
post Dec 16 2006, 00:19
Post #13

There will be cake.

Member No.: 117

Not necessarily. Cannon-only dogfights can be very interesting, actually.

Quote Post
Comrade Medved'
post Dec 16 2006, 10:49
Post #14

Member No.: 451

If we are talking about modern fighters it seems to me that such a fight described is the most common case for OFP. Unfortunately, I haven't tested any WWII "flying" addons in OFP. I just had fun in editor shooting NATO air units from Su-25 cannon. But i don't think AI in OFP (maybe in ArmA too) can handle WWII fighter well in cannon dogfight.

--------------------
Vodka, balalaika, matrjoshka, shapka-ushanka...

Quote Post
BigglesTrevor
post Dec 16 2006, 13:36
Post #15

The Il2 Fan

Member No.: 25

QUOTE(Comrade Medved' @ Dec 16 2006, 09:49) *

If we are talking about modern fighters it seems to me that such a fight described is the most common case for OFP. Unfortunately, I haven't tested any WWII "flying" addons in OFP. I just had fun in editor shooting NATO air units from Su-25 cannon. But i don't think AI in OFP (maybe in ArmA too) can handle WWII fighter well in cannon dogfight.

if you play with the planes in FDF or Lib mod then ww2 dogfights are quite good in OFP.

--------------------

Quote Post
LooseKannon
post Dec 17 2006, 09:05
Post #16

KH Was Here 06

Member No.: 40

Don't forget the good old Sopwith Camel wink.gif

--------------------
Visit my Blog or my Facebook.

Ye olde member.

Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:42