Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Site questions/problems/comments
SGT123
post Oct 1 2007, 02:39
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,355

download speed issue

first let me say from a news stand point ur site is great very good (maybe even the best tough i didnt check)
the only problem i have with ur site is the fact i cant get any normal speed on the download (i have a 2.5MBit DSL connection) i download from many place some are even as bad as 10kb but i dont even get that from ur site the best download i had was a 5KB non constant download
my question is is this a known issue and is something being done about it ?

p.s i work at my ISP as technical support so the problem is not with the isp's (i checked)route
wich is not the best but ive had worse and gotten better result

the worst ping i got to ur site was 102ms
and the tracerout no real jumps so the connection is OK- but still OK

Quote Post
JdB
post Oct 1 2007, 12:52
Post #62

Hipster addonmaker

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 10

Since you work on the technical support department of the ISP, I'm sure you will recognize the feeling that I am having now, that of not having enough data to get a complete picture of the problem tongue.gif

1. What country are you from? Israel?
2. What ISP are you using? Smile Internet Gold?
3. What times (please specify timezone you are living in) are you trying to download from the site?

I think I resolved the first two by checking your IP. If the first two are true, then I don't really know, I can't recall hearing complaints from Israeli users before about the speed, most of the complaints come from the US and UK (see below). Maybe the Israeli goverment deems us a security threat, coolness, a house visit by Mossad! biggrin.gif

Some people used to have some issues when their connections runs through specific hubs to the server (can't recall the name, but it either has a bad ping, or is squeezing it's network).

--------------------
Creator of dodgy ArmA:CWA addons.

Quote Post
Cervo
post Oct 1 2007, 16:34
Post #63

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1

Are you also experiencing a slow download speed on this link?

ftp://www.armedassault.info/armad/addons/...le_woodland.rar

--------------------

Quote Post
GIJOE94
post Oct 1 2007, 21:00
Post #64

Member No.: 767

Are you going to make some armedassault.info newsletters?

--------------------
"Our business in the field of fight, is not to question, but to prove our might." Alexander Pope

Quote Post
DaRat
post Oct 1 2007, 21:29
Post #65

~Established April, 2004~

Member No.: 34

Newsletters? What you on about this time? mellow.gif

Quote Post
JdB
post Oct 1 2007, 21:58
Post #66

Hipster addonmaker

Topics merged, please look around for Stickied threads next time.

You could always make the newsletters yourself, as it seems you have ample time to come up with ideas for others to make naughty.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
SGT123
post Oct 2 2007, 07:32
Post #67

of course u r correct the question was a general one if there is a known problem but if u need the info ill happily supply u with it and as i see u already have my IP adress and so u r right on both ur answers israel and smile internet did u use DNS STUFF for that biggrin.gif
in any case my time zone is gmt +2 altough i dont know why would that matter and of course if im complaining on a download speed its from ur FTP otherwise why would i ask u on ur forums if there is a known problem boppin2.gif biggrin.gif
u can always give me direct access to ur FTP rofl.gif that COULD solve the problem dance.gif
in any case ive checked the route again (of course u know trace route)and even backed traced my route just to make sure there is no SPECIAL problem with the connection (wich there is non)
the ping as expected isnt the best but for a server as far as urs thats expected and its still better then a ping i have to some servers in germany and i download twice as fast from there so the question remains is there a general problem is it just me or is the the reason totaly diffrent like ur FTP or ISP limiting download speed ? wacko.gif
there is no ping problem or surfing problem for that matter just downloading cry3.gif
just to strengthen my issue there is a site called armed-assault.net wich i get about the same ping as urs
the diffrence is i download at 250KB-315 KB from them and 200K-2KB from you
if they had all the addons u have i wouldnt bother u rolleyes.gif
and CERVO yes the link u gave me is just like the others barely downloading

Quote Post
JdB
post Oct 2 2007, 17:01
Post #68

Hipster addonmaker

QUOTE(SGT123 @ Oct 2 2007, 08:32) *
of course u r correct the question was a general one if there is a known problem but if u need the info ill happily supply u with it and as i see u already have my IP adress and so u r right on both ur answers israel and smile internet did u use DNS STUFF for that biggrin.gif
in any case my time zone is gmt +2 altough i dont know why would that matter

Simple search of your IP address on NIC.com, and the timezone information is useful, because on certain times during the day, the site has more visitors, downloading more files, than during the rest of the day.

and of course if im complaining on a download speed its from ur FTP otherwise why would i ask u on ur forums if there is a known problem boppin2.gif biggrin.gif
u can always give me direct access to ur FTP rofl.gif that COULD solve the problem dance.gif

Strange, because we haven't had complaints about the download-speed since we switched to a new server...and not going to happen tongue.gif

in any case ive checked the route again (of course u know trace route)and even backed traced my route just to make sure there is no SPECIAL problem with the connection (wich there is non)
the ping as expected isnt the best but for a server as far as urs thats expected and its still better then a ping i have to some servers in germany and i download twice as fast from there so the question remains is there a general problem is it just me or is the the reason totaly diffrent like ur FTP or ISP limiting download speed ? wacko.gif

Are these other downloads also from FTP servers, or HTML servers? (providers may limit the amount of FTP traffic due to various reasons including security and distribution of illegal content, but of course if you can download at a good speed from other FTP sites that's not relevant)

there is no ping problem or surfing problem for that matter just downloading cry3.gif
just to strengthen my issue there is a site called armed-assault.net wich i get about the same ping as urs
the diffrence is i download at 250KB-315 KB from them and 200K-2KB from you

What browser are you using? How are your cookie-settings? Are you using the browser itself for downloading, or a separate program? (downloadmanager for example) Do you connect through a router? (that might slow down port 21 traffic, port 21 is the one that handles FTP)

What do you ping, the normal site address armedassault.info, or the FTP server itself?
For me pinging the HTML server and FTP server only makes 1ms of difference, the FTP server being slightly faster, how is it for you?

--------------------

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Oct 2 2007, 17:35
Post #69

Gentleman Usher of the Coffee Stain
Group Icon

Group: Site Team
Member No.: 19

QUOTE(GIJOE94 @ Oct 1 2007, 22:00) *
Are you going to make some armedassault.info newsletters?

To what purpose? Most people check the site regularly anyhow!

--------------------
Google Google and Google will google Google!

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
SGT123
post Oct 3 2007, 20:31
Post #70

QUOTE(pMASTER @ Oct 2 2007, 18:35) *
To what purpose? Most people check the site regularly anyhow!

well i pinged both about the same (2-3 ms diffrence)
i download from both FTP and HTML and both are fine on any other site
i tried allowing all cookies (tough on normal it shouldnt interfere and no change)
i tried downloading from work and i got a 130-150KB download wich would have been great except for the fact its an 5MB ATM line wich means its semetrical and i should get ALOT more
again no ping problem so the problem is not with the route to or from ur site and the download amout is not limited on my side
how about urs ?

Quote Post
JdB
post Oct 3 2007, 21:16
Post #71

Hipster addonmaker

QUOTE(SGT123 @ Oct 3 2007, 21:31) *
again no ping problem so the problem is not with the route to or from your site and the download amount is not limited on my side
how about yours ?

We don't limit download speeds, so I guess the problem is located somewhere between the location of the server and the Israeli ISP, no one else has complained about speed-issues since we switched servers...

...in other words, it's out of our reach.

--------------------

Quote Post
Cervo
post Oct 4 2007, 00:53
Post #72

Administrator
Group Icon

and CERVO yes the link u gave me is just like the others barely downloading

Strange cause this link is on another server which is at a different datacenter and on a different backbone, in two different regions of France! So... unless you have restricted download speed from France, I don't have a clue!

--------------------

Quote Post
SGT123
post Oct 8 2007, 07:16
Post #73

QUOTE(Cervo @ Oct 4 2007, 01:53) *
Strange cause this link is on another server which is at a different datacenter and on a different backbone, in two different regions of France! So... unless you have restricted download speed from France, I don't have a clue!

well i guess thats it then thnx anyways guys i love r news site but i guess i have to download from other sites again thnx for the attempt thumbsup.gif

Quote Post
Cervo
post Oct 9 2007, 09:35
Post #74

Administrator
Group Icon

You should try to use a proxy, did you try to put your own ISP proxy in your browser configuration?

--------------------

Quote Post
SGT123
post Oct 9 2007, 14:40
Post #75

QUOTE(Cervo @ Oct 9 2007, 10:35) *
You should try to use a proxy, did you try to put your own ISP proxy in your browser configuration?

there are no isp proxies here anymore so theres nothing to put in just to make sure i checked with the other 4 isp's that are available and they all have no proxy so no go again thnx

Quote Post
Cervo
post Oct 10 2007, 11:04
Post #76

Administrator
Group Icon

Hmm AFAIK all ISP propose a proxy to their customers...

--------------------

Quote Post
Linker Split
post Oct 21 2007, 12:11
Post #77

literally the BIG BOSS of OFP
Group Icon

Group: Addon Maker
Member No.: 66

a suggestion to avoid all the people who don't read the rules when first post:

why when they register, don't you put the rules page? after the registration has been done, they are redirected as first page to the rules one, with a big WARNING! to follow them wink.gif

--------------------
Visit my blog about Poker at Blogspot.com

-->TUTORIAL ON HOW TO MAKE NORMAL MAPPING IN ARMA!<--
-->MATERIAL EDITOR TUTORIAL!<--
-->DOWNLOAD MY HDT ISLAND!<--
judgement = hypocritical and slightly deluded

Quote Post
JdB
post Oct 21 2007, 13:33
Post #78

Hipster addonmaker

QUOTE(Linker Split @ Oct 21 2007, 13:11) *
a suggestion to avoid all the people who don't read the rules when first post:

why when they register, don't you put the rules page? after the registration has been done, they are redirected as first page to the rules one, with a big WARNING! to follow them wink.gif

It's quite simple, thinking you escape punishment by claiming that you couldn't find the forum rules, or didn't know what they were (yeah, the large pink line on the screen with "Forum Rules" in it is really easy to miss...or so some claim) won't work here. Cervo pays for the hosting costs, he put Wittmann in charge, Wittmann hired other moderators, so unless someone decides to pay the full cost of the hosting, they have to follow the same rules as everyone else - Cervo, not having bothered to check out the rules is no defence, anyone can claim that. Most people will click away that page immediately anyway and think "why is this stupid registration taking this long with all these standard BS pages", which again brings us back to "ignorance is not a defense".

--------------------

Quote Post
Linker Split
post Oct 21 2007, 14:06
Post #79

literally the BIG BOSS of OFP
Group Icon

Group: Addon Maker
Member No.: 66

QUOTE(JdB @ Oct 21 2007, 14:33) *
It's quite simple, thinking you escape punishment by claiming that you couldn't find the forum rules, or didn't know what they were (yeah, the large pink line on the screen with "Forum Rules" in it is really easy to miss...or so some claim) won't work here. Cervo pays for the hosting costs, he put Wittmann in charge, Wittmann hired other moderators, so unless someone decides to pay the full cost of the hosting, they have to follow the same rules as everyone else - Cervo, not having bothered to check out the rules is no defence, anyone can claim that. Most people will click away that page immediately anyway and think "why is this stupid registration taking this long with all these standard BS pages", which again brings us back to "ignorance is not a defense".

so any solution to the "posting images >100Kb" or "bumping threads"?

--------------------
Visit my blog about Poker at Blogspot.com

-->TUTORIAL ON HOW TO MAKE NORMAL MAPPING IN ARMA!<--
-->MATERIAL EDITOR TUTORIAL!<--
-->DOWNLOAD MY HDT ISLAND!<--
judgement = hypocritical and slightly deluded

Quote Post
D@V£
post Oct 21 2007, 17:07
Post #80

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

Couldn't we put some sort of hardcoded limit to stop people posting images over 100kb? I'm sure I've seen it in other forums and it'd pretty much solve the problem all together.

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:03