IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Forum Rules

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spambot PMs
D@V£
post Aug 8 2010, 16:03
Post #1

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

Good Evening all.

As you've probably noticed, most of our users have received PMs from a spambot. For your own security, please do not open links included in these PMs, as they are usually "phishing" scams. Unfortunately, at the moment we have no way to remove these PMs from your inbox, though you may delete them yourselves.

Though this is the first time such a method has been attempted, it will undoubtedly not the last. The administration team have already been alerted to this issue, methods of preventing it are already being discussed.

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
JdB
post Aug 8 2010, 16:46
Post #2

Hipster addonmaker

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 10

QUOTE(D@V£ @ Aug 8 2010, 16:58) *
I was just about to suggest the exact same thing! ohnoo.gif

Of course, then we have the issue of spambots that post once or twice then send a sh*tload of PMs...

I am not too sure. It's automated, so the bot would have to be programmed for that to work. Most bots aren't that sophisticated right now, as the vast majority of forums is administered very poorly, if at all, so there is no reason for them to go to any great effort to achieve what they want. I know of ways to get rid of most other automated spambots as well, but you will find them too radical tongue.gif

(No, tracking spammers down, flying to [insert country] and shooting people is not included in the options, however much I'd like to opt for this strategy)

Also, IIRC, there is an option that limits the amount of PMs you can send in a certain amount of time ...

As the alternative is that the membername would have to be entered for this to work X 6,396 (normal members cannot PM groups), there would have to be an exploit in the board software that allows for group-PMing to work without access to the Admin CP directly.

This post has been edited by JdB: Aug 8 2010, 16:49

--------------------
Creator of dodgy ArmA:CWA addons.

Quote Post
D@V£
post Aug 8 2010, 22:59
Post #3

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

QUOTE(JdB @ Aug 8 2010, 16:46) *
I am not too sure. It's automated, so the bot would have to be programmed for that to work. Most bots aren't that sophisticated right now, as the vast majority of forums is administered very poorly, if at all, so there is no reason for them to go to any great effort to achieve what they want. I know of ways to get rid of most other automated spambots as well, but you will find them too radical tongue.gif

(No, tracking spammers down, flying to [insert country] and shooting people is not included in the options, however much I'd like to opt for this strategy)

Also, IIRC, there is an option that limits the amount of PMs you can send in a certain amount of time ...

As the alternative is that the membername would have to be entered for this to work X 6,396 (normal members cannot PM groups), there would have to be an exploit in the board software that allows for group-PMing to work without access to the Admin CP directly.

To be honest, the only way I can see to really curb these individuals (and we know it is individuals, not bots) is to force moderator approval of all new accounts on their first post/PM, and even that isn't entirely reliable (and even less fair to those who aren't spammers).

Right now we have a system that prevents almost all bots. This, along with the seeming relevance of spammer posts, tells me that we aren't dealing with simple machines here, but people who're either being paid to waste the time of our members, or bots who are getting account details through phishing schemes. There isn't a simple solution to this.

If you want to share your "radical" ideas, you know how to get in touch with us John. Maybe some of your ideas are more workable than you might think?

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:59