Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the signification of your familly name
d@nte
post Apr 24 2008, 12:16
Post #1

head in the stars

Group: Members
Member No.: 32

don't put your familly name, just the signification. this is really interesting to know that. Because it can say who your ancestors was or their job.

mine:

an old welsh-breton word which means : Carpenter. the first signification was "skillful with his hands" (great for the girls, isn't it!)

origin: celtic

btw if you know the origin of your name (latin, greek, finno-ugric, germanic etc), you can put it.

This post has been edited by d@nte: Apr 24 2008, 13:31

--------------------

Un ali mat zo mat bepred Ha pa ve digant ur sot e ve

(Good advice is always good, even though it comes from an idiot).

Quote Post
Sheildsy
post Apr 24 2008, 12:42
Post #2

Member No.: 876

Mine literally means makers of shields....until we were deported from France and headed east, then words like 'ofski' found their way to my name.

--------------------

Quote Post
Deadeye
post Apr 24 2008, 13:37
Post #3

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Gentleman Usher of the Banstick

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 11

Is there any tool or website where I can search for the sigification?

--------------------

Quote Post
D@V£
post Apr 24 2008, 13:39
Post #4

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

From Helm-man.
Effectively, somewhere long ago in the distance lands of the Normans, some git wore a helmet far more often than it was considered appropriate to do so.

I'm descended from that guy. ^^

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
d@nte
post Apr 24 2008, 13:47
Post #5

head in the stars

QUOTE(Deadeye @ Apr 24 2008, 14:37) *
Is there any tool or website where I can search for the sigification?

maybe a german website of genealogy wink.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
Deadeye
post Apr 24 2008, 14:16
Post #6

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Gentleman Usher of the Banstick

Member No.: 11

Hm I'll see what I can find

My family name is well known around the world (famous german enterprise) but sadly I'm not closely related to the owner sad.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
Toadball
post Apr 24 2008, 14:48
Post #7

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Slightly Mad Scotsman

Member No.: 1,331

Clan name, the first of my familly were some of William the Conquereror's knights, we took land in Carluke, Scotland (ironicly where my mother was born) so it's noble blood.
Some of our american cousins tried setting up a franchise over there
The actual name means: the village near a marsh or lake according to one source.
Following text contains surname, not fussed if people see it, bit more info on the familly.
Sir Gualtier de Somerville was one of William the Conqueror's knights, who came over to England in 1066. The name most likely comes from "Saint Omer," a town about 20 miles south of Dunkerque in Normandy. Clan Somerville is a dormant Scottish clan (my note: i've got the Ancient Somerville tartan kilt second note: tartan comes in: Ancient/Familly or Hunting, you figure out the difference between them)

Scottish Coat of Arms

Irish or English Coat of Arms, not sure which.

Claim to semi-impresivness
-Grandfather dads side spent time as a PoW in WW2 for 3 or 4 years iirc following capture in the north sea (he was a bomber navigator), was a part of the Wooden Horse escape plan at Stalag Luft III but gave up his place for some one else.
-Late grandfather (RIP) on my mums side was a lancaster and bomber engineer in WWII and a civil engineer outside, I'm pretty sure he's been to every corner of the globe bar: the middle east and the far east, on my desk at home i've got a brazillian wooden eagle, and two WWII era tourist bought Naxi/German eagles (will post pictures so some one could confirm what they are meant to be for me, history isn't my forte) he left me as well as a wall hanging from brazil.

Edit: added the crests and some extra info.
Not sure whether it was Carluke as suggested by other sources or Carnwath as suggested by the family history website
also: we have a family tree somewhere in the house that goes back to about the 1200's iirc maybe later than that though

--------------------
Never before in the history of man, was so much buggered up by so few.

Quote Post
Blackbuck
post Apr 24 2008, 16:11
Post #8

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Appointed Olivia Wilde Stalker
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 113

My name comes across as gate keeper from England as far as I know or just the gates... (Yates). How embarrassing.
My great grandfather got the military medal for removing a shell from an ammunition limber of an 18pdr quick fire gun in the Great War and later served on the so called z batteries.
Great uncles also in the Great War one survived one was killed. My grandfather was involved with the design of the early cruiser tanks also.

This post has been edited by Helping Hand: Apr 24 2008, 16:13

--------------------

--------------------
Heed my words or risk being beaten with a stick then fed to my associate D@V£
The Rules - Most places have rules, these are ours Read them!
Moderation Feedback Thread - Let everyone know how much you don't like D@V£
--------------------

Quote Post
berbinator
post Apr 24 2008, 17:35
Post #9

Member No.: 1,615

Hey Jynx you wouldn't happen to have some family in Alabama would you with does the name Reid ring a bell?? My girlfriend's mom has a coat of arms almost identical to the first and she comes from the approximate vicinity in Scotland.

Quote Post
Bence
post Apr 24 2008, 17:45
Post #10

huns not dead

Member No.: 72

Illés is the name of a prophet in the Bible. In Hungary, it's a very traditional name from the 14th century!

--------------------
HUNS
NOT
DEAD

Quote Post
JdB
post Apr 24 2008, 18:50
Post #11

Hipster addonmaker

Member No.: 10

Simply put, I have no idea. Some say it originates from France and/or Italy, but I'm not too sure.

--------------------
Creator of dodgy ArmA:CWA addons.

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Apr 24 2008, 20:41
Post #12

Gentleman Usher of the Coffee Stain
Group Icon

Group: Site Team
Member No.: 19

"Those who keep watch" - a lower knights house that has practically stopped to exist by now.

I can be smug about my family name though because worldwide, there are only about ten people left that bear it. It originates from Siebenbürgen, an area which is today known as Transylvania.

--------------------
Google Google and Google will google Google!

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
d@nte
post Apr 24 2008, 21:07
Post #13

head in the stars

you are maybe a Dracula's cousin biggrin.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
SaS TrooP
post Apr 24 2008, 21:43
Post #14

N00b always & everywhere

Member No.: 1,589

My family surname means in english "puddle", so I have really f*cked up life at school. Malajn.gif

We leave in Silesia, but my family is much more teutons (germans) than polish (slovians).

About history I had:
1. Grandfather - Wermacht soldier, Stalingrad veteran. He said he pissed into boots for loosing his feet. Then he retutned to Germany. He was sent on Eastern from because he always escaped from guard post cause he "really had to go to the French dentist". He was 30 in this time. Officers discovered he have lost his teets while box fight when he was 27...
2. Uncle - Atillery Officer, also Stalingrad officer. He was fighting about 10km from my grandpa, but they didnt know themselves. He also got back to Germany, but when his women left him he joined Kriegsmarine. His ship sunked hit by a HMS "Rodney".
3. Second Uncle - Waffen SS Sturmscharführer. Also Eastern front! Sniper. he said he never murdered innocent. Belive or not, he got captive and died in Soviet prison about 1948. His wife got only heard sent from Siberia, cut like a from killed rabbit or chicken.

Quote Post
Denz
post Apr 25 2008, 03:48
Post #15

Member No.: 599

Very interesting thread.

My surname means "settlement on the hill".
Supposedly, my lineage stems from Norman knights.
We can trace my Dad's family back to literally a couple of years after the Norman conquest when my ancestors settled here (in England).
Although they did have a slightly different spelling of the name back then. We know that in the middle ages the family owned several castles and spawned a number of knights -what the hell happened blink.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
Avalla'ch
post Apr 25 2008, 12:18
Post #16

He's called 'Fingers' Vagin. Cute name.

Member No.: 213

My surname is simple, it doesnt mean anything happy.gif

.......... but in my foreign language(NOTE: I am not originaly from CZ) it means "Snowblind"... ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Avalla'ch: Apr 26 2008, 10:25

--------------------
Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details. - BG2
Formerly known as Salvatore_Lee© (In nomine Memory! and Rot In Pieces!)

Quote Post
Bence
post Apr 25 2008, 14:32
Post #17

huns not dead

Member No.: 72

Bence - actually this is my first name, it's a greek name, meaning glorious, victorious smile.gif

--------------------
HUNS
NOT
DEAD

Quote Post
Toadball
post Apr 25 2008, 14:37
Post #18

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Slightly Mad Scotsman

Member No.: 1,331

QUOTE(berbinator @ Apr 24 2008, 17:35) *
Hey Jynx you wouldn't happen to have some family in Alabama would you with does the name Reid ring a bell?? My girlfriend's mom has a coat of arms almost identical to the first and she comes from the approximate vicinity in Scotland.

My grandmother i never knew's maiden name was Reid, I think it's also one of my Mum's middle names can't remember, I'm not sure how in terms of Scottish clans how Reid and Somerville fit together.
I do know that my mums maiden name (Barr) is part of the Reid clan (only reason I know this is that i'm allowed to wear the Reid tartan [you can only wear the tartan of the familly blood you have so for me: Mcenzie (spelling is wrong), Reid, Somerville and Munro])
I know I don't have any direct relations in Amercia, my big/half Sister is living in Brisbane, Australia at moment though and the female side of my Mum's side came from Ireland. Would have to ask my parents if we've got peeps over the pond

WRT the coat of arms: In heraldry, iirc, if theres even a small difference it's a different familly. I also can't remember or don't know the colours of either of the crests above so can't do a direct comparison.

--------------------
Never before in the history of man, was so much buggered up by so few.

Quote Post
d@nte
post Apr 25 2008, 16:25
Post #19

head in the stars

About history I had:

- it seems that one of my ancestor was a roman soldier (Breton auxiliary) He came in Armorica/Brittany to protect the sea border against the scandinavian pirates -Frisians, Angles. (this is why my familly name come from the current UK).
- an other part of my familly is native.

during ww2:

- my first grandfather was in the vichy army in Lebanon and fought against free french and english soldiers. He was almost killed. After he joined the free french army and fought in north of france and in germany.
- my second grandfather was a Resistance fighter.

an anecdote about my first grandfather. he was officialy registered dead in Germany, and during a time he had a gravestone in his village. We have always supposed that he had found a nice german woman, and stayed 3 years with her. I have maybe some cousins in germany biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by d@nte: Apr 25 2008, 16:43

--------------------

Quote Post
Avalla'ch
post Apr 26 2008, 10:25
Post #20

He's called 'Fingers' Vagin. Cute name.

Member No.: 213

dude nice story biggrin.gif

--------------------
Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details. - BG2
Formerly known as Salvatore_Lee© (In nomine Memory! and Rot In Pieces!)

Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 20:51