IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Forum Rules
15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which is the last movie you have seen?, The Film Critic Association Thread - Beware Spoilers!
Toadball
post Mar 20 2008, 22:47
Post #41

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Slightly Mad Scotsman

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 1,331

You're young. You have an easy, well-paid deskjob. You have a condo, Swedish furniture, artistic coffee tables and a fridge full of condiments. Yet you feel emotionally and spiritually empty. You eventually find comfort in going to support groups for lukemia and cancer victims when there's nothing wrong with you until they're hijacked from you by another faker. Then you meet Tyler Durden, a man that shows you that not only can you live without material needs but that self-destruction, the collapse of society and making dynamite from soap might not be such a bad idea either.

Brilliant movie, simple yet a really clever plot. 9/10 (-1 cos I was pissed when i watched it)

First rule of the .info forums is, you do not talk about the .info forums tongue.gif

--------------------
Never before in the history of man, was so much buggered up by so few.

Quote Post
D@V£
post Mar 21 2008, 00:12
Post #42

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

10/10, easily.
(Controversy! Some people didn't like it apparently, and a few cinema's aren't showing it... the gits! tongue.gif )

If you liked Romero's other films you'll like this. It's gruesome and it's clever. If you didn't like Romero's other films, you probably won't enjoy it.

Also, Simon Pegg gets a voiceover! Huzzah!
(I think him and Romero are best friends now, he was in Land of the Dead too! ohmy.gif )

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Mar 21 2008, 17:12
Post #43

Gentleman Usher of the Coffee Stain
Group Icon

Group: Site Team
Member No.: 19

Kinda psycholdelic, but a good movie nonetheless. 8/10 I'd say.

--------------------
Google Google and Google will google Google!

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
Red Square Monkey
post Mar 22 2008, 00:33
Post #44

There will be cake.

Group: Members
Member No.: 117

Jack Conrad is awaiting the death penalty in a corrupt Central American prison. He is "purchased" by a wealthy television producer and taken to a desolate island where he must fight to the death against nine other condemned killers from all corners of the world, with freedom going to the sole survivor.

Christ that shit sucked.
4/10

Quote Post
Blackbuck
post Mar 25 2008, 16:20
Post #45

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Appointed Olivia Wilde Stalker
Group Icon

Member No.: 113

Brotherhood: Taegukgi

IMDB Article here

-- Short Synopsis --

Whilst an excavation is preceding at the scene of the battle of the 38th parallel the remains of a soldier are uncovered believed to be those of one of the two main character's brother who was killed in the battle. He goes to see the remains and finds a fountain pen (symbolic within the film) proving that it's him.

-- My thoughts --

Saw this yesterday afternoon whilst watching 'Sky Movies Indie'.
A Korean 'Saving Private Ryan' of sorts, in my opinion a must see even if you cant speak Korean and need to read the subtitles.
10/10

--------------------

--------------------
Heed my words or risk being beaten with a stick then fed to my associate D@V£
The Rules - Most places have rules, these are ours Read them!
Moderation Feedback Thread - Let everyone know how much you don't like D@V£
--------------------

Quote Post
Blackscorpion
post Mar 25 2008, 16:55
Post #46

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Rifleman-in-Charge

Member No.: 270

QUOTE(Helping Hand @ Mar 25 2008, 17:20) *
even if you cant speak Korean and need to read the subtitles.

Gosh you people are lazy. They subtitle everything foreign here... which is well, about half of everything.

Lets see...

Dodgeball

Directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story revolves around amiable underachiever Peter LaFleur (Vince Vaughn), whose rundown gym, Average Joe's, is populated by a less-than-average clientele including a self-styled pirate, an ultra-obscure sports aficionado, and a pining high school nerd. Despite Average Joe's posing little threat to Globo Gym, a fitness Goliath owned by White Goodman (Ben Stiller), Peter's humble recreation center becomes a subject of much controversy when Goodman learns of his competition's less than meticulous bookkeeping. Determined to expand his empire, Goodman hires attorney Kate Veach (Christine Taylor) to initiate a hostile takeover of the gym. Peter's ragtag group of regulars, however, are less than thrilled with the prospects, and mobilize a showdown, winner-takes-all Dodgeball tournament against Globo Gym. (IMDB)

A rather usual Stiller comedy, yet a pretty nice one. Has quite a few good actors, and contains a few stereotypes, yet not too many. Rather violent sometimes, but in a good-hearted way. A nice feel-good comedy, wouldn't recommend for anyone but watch it if you're interested. 8/10.

--------------------
Hakkaa päälle Pohjan poika!

Words were coming out of my fingertips faster than my thoughts could process them in my brains... My plead is for temporary insanity that was caused by permanent insanity of very, very twisted nerve cluster that's called brain matter, that's supposed to be grey but isn't, it's black and has a somewhat sarcastic and dark sense of humor, or lacks it totally.

The self-appointed God of Scor Nango. Not an emperor, just... God.

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Mar 25 2008, 18:14
Post #47

Group Icon

QUOTE(Helping Hand @ Mar 25 2008, 16:20) *
fternoon whilst watching 'Sky Movies Indie'.
A Korean 'Saving Private Ryan' of sorts, in my opinion a must see even if you cant speak Korean and need to read the subtitles.

So the DVD comes only with a subbed version? Nah I don't like that. You always need to watch a movie twice so you can pay attention both the the plot and the dialogues.

--------------------

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
Blackscorpion
post Mar 25 2008, 19:02
Post #48

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Rifleman-in-Charge

Member No.: 270

Yeah, but the dubbers... having seen few movies and 24 dubbed in German (not to mention the French) while staying at a Parisian hotel... weirdsmiley.gif

--------------------
Hakkaa päälle Pohjan poika!

Words were coming out of my fingertips faster than my thoughts could process them in my brains... My plead is for temporary insanity that was caused by permanent insanity of very, very twisted nerve cluster that's called brain matter, that's supposed to be grey but isn't, it's black and has a somewhat sarcastic and dark sense of humor, or lacks it totally.

The self-appointed God of Scor Nango. Not an emperor, just... God.

Quote Post
Blackbuck
post Mar 25 2008, 20:06
Post #49

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Appointed Olivia Wilde Stalker
Group Icon

Member No.: 113

There was no dubbing just subtitles (which AFAIK are just set by SKY for the English audience)

--------------------

--------------------
Heed my words or risk being beaten with a stick then fed to my associate D@V£
The Rules - Most places have rules, these are ours Read them!
Moderation Feedback Thread - Let everyone know how much you don't like D@V£
--------------------

Quote Post
Red Square Monkey
post Mar 26 2008, 23:14
Post #50

There will be cake.

QUOTE(pMASTER @ Mar 25 2008, 18:14) *
So the DVD comes only with a subbed version? Nah I don't like that. You always need to watch a movie twice so you can pay attention both the the plot and the dialogues.

Heh, you Germans really need everything dubbed, eh? rofl.gif I guess it just depends on what you're used to.

In 1970s America, a detective works to bring down the drug empire of Frank Lucas, a heroin kingpin from Manhattan, who is smuggling the drug into the country from the Far East.
8.5/10

Robert Neville is a scientist who was unable to stop the spread of the terrible virus that was incurable and man-made. Immune, Neville is now the last human survivor in what is left of New York City and perhaps the world.
Great performance by Will Smith - 7/10

Quote Post
Lordwatson
post Mar 26 2008, 23:38
Post #51

Member No.: 2,586

Well I saw this in my local store and was intrigued as to it cause I had never heard of it.

Yeah the name sucks. In France I think it was called L'indigiennes which means the Natives

Its basically about these Algerian Soldiers who despite having never set foot in France, go to fight for her during the Second World War. Deals with the bad treatment they receive as well as some pretty good combat scenes. The last bit is very good smile.gif

I would give it about 8/10 because the battles could have had a bit more blood about them, and one of the actors only has one hand and it got on my nerves after a while.

However I would reccomend this film!

--------------------
Steel Boat, Iron Hearts

Do You Cry Out In Your Sleep?
All My Failings Exposed
Get a Taste In My Mouth,
As Desperation Takes Hold.
Is It Something So Good,
Just Cant Function No More.
Love, Love Will Tear Us Apart, Again.

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Apr 2 2008, 21:37
Post #52

Group Icon

Drama movie: Battle in Heaven

Wanted to watch this movie for a debate of our party about nudity and explicit content in freely available movies (Yes, we are the conservatives biggrin.gif )...

The movie is about an older, fat security guard named Marcos who is the driver for an elderly Mexican general and about his relation to the daughter of the general who is bored and mentally somewhat crippled by her high society life. The movie pours salt into open wounds of the Mexican society as I understand it and relentlessly shows the serious social problems Mexico is experiencing right now. So much to the plot.

The movie itself is well directed, and for being no-name actors, the cast does pretty well, too. Still it contains some pretty disturbing scenes for a movie that you could have seen in the ( regular wink.gif ) cinema too and that is regarded as a normal art flick, including brute violence and three times actual sexual intercourse, between phatty and the good looking daughter (who is actually humping the wee weeny, ruined my entreé) and between phatty and his even fatter adipose wife ( ohmy.gif ruined my meal)...And the way how they've killed her reminded me of everything I've heard about so called Snuff-movies (ruined my dessert)...
weirdsmiley.gif

Well, that's called Freedom of Art I guess.

5/10 for the good intention of director Carlos Reygadas and the relatively good cast, but lost five points because of its explicit content, not because the content is there, but because it interferes with all the other impressions the viewer got from the movie.

--------------------

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
JdB
post Apr 2 2008, 21:55
Post #53

Hipster addonmaker

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(pMASTER @ Apr 2 2008, 22:37) *
but lost five points because of its explicit content, not because the content is there, but because it interferes with all the other impressions the viewer got from the movie.

Using shock just to shock (=sales) rather than add to the story?

--------------------
Creator of dodgy ArmA:CWA addons.

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Apr 2 2008, 22:27
Post #54

Group Icon

I'd say he used the shocking images to break with taboos and to drastically make people reflect the living conditions in their society. As I've said, I spot a good intention behind that, but as an average viewer I can't help myself but to nearly forget the message this movie carries and only to think about these slightly gross sex scenes. I don't think that he considered this outcome or wanted it.

(Just to show what I mean with gross: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/FILM/DVDReviews21...%20PDVD_006.jpg The guy on the left is "Marcos", and the...woman next to him is his wife. The young lady from the movie cover is the generals daughter.)

--------------------

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Apr 9 2008, 23:42
Post #55

Group Icon

Gone Baby Gone
Starring Casey Affleck, Morgan Freeman and Ed Harris
10/10
The atmosphere of this movie is impressing, the perfomance is great, the story intense and full of dramatic turns. A must see.

--------------------

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
BigglesTrevor
post Apr 10 2008, 00:11
Post #56

The Il2 Fan

Member No.: 25

10/10, This is just pure and simple quality!

--------------------

Quote Post
Deadeye
post Apr 10 2008, 14:53
Post #57

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Gentleman Usher of the Banstick

Member No.: 11

QUOTE(BigglesTrevor @ Apr 10 2008, 01:11) *
[imghttp://flyingfarther.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/futurama_bender_big_score.jpg[/img]

10/10, This is just pure and simple quality!

I totally agree !

Very controversial movie, you either love it or hate it.

All in all a 8.5/10 although it had some weak points (especailly in the story)

--------------------

Quote Post
BigglesTrevor
post Apr 10 2008, 15:19
Post #58

The Il2 Fan

Member No.: 25

QUOTE(Deadeye @ Apr 10 2008, 14:53) *
I totally agree !

The bit where bender pretends to explode, laughs, then explodes is just top quality comedy writing.

--------------------

Quote Post
Red Square Monkey
post Apr 11 2008, 20:10
Post #59

There will be cake.

7.5/10
Pretty entertaining. Foxx was great, as usual.

This post has been edited by Red Square Monkey: Apr 11 2008, 20:10

Quote Post
Red Square Monkey
post Apr 23 2008, 21:38
Post #60

There will be cake.

7.5/10

Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 19:46