IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules ArmedAssault.info Forum Rules
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flightmodel, Similar to OFP or seriously improved?
Blackscorpion
post Nov 24 2006, 16:12
Post #1

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Rifleman-in-Charge

Group: Members
Member No.: 270

OK, I guess this goes here... as the guys who have played MP with me know I'm quite an aviation freak.

*gibberish* Both OFP and off-OFP, as I have way over a gig or 2 of aviation (choppers, planes) addons, and couple of very popular "flight sims" on my PC. Also visited Paris mainly due to the airshow... same for UK this year. 2 airshows, so I'll be spending a week there. */gibberish*

So, how's the flight model, for both choppers and planes?
Can the AV-8 (Harrier) take off vertically?
Does loadout affect the flying characteristics?
Can we change loadout?
Do we only have the Sopwith Camel and Harrier (note that there's no major airstrip in N-Sahrani, just a dirt one)?

All I could come up with couple of mins. blues.gif

--------------------
Hakkaa päälle Pohjan poika!

Words were coming out of my fingertips faster than my thoughts could process them in my brains... My plead is for temporary insanity that was caused by permanent insanity of very, very twisted nerve cluster that's called brain matter, that's supposed to be grey but isn't, it's black and has a somewhat sarcastic and dark sense of humor, or lacks it totally.

The self-appointed God of Scor Nango. Not an emperor, just... God.

Quote Post
DaRat
post Nov 24 2006, 16:59
Post #2

~Established April, 2004~

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 34

If you take a look at the BI forums, some people are saying that the helicopter flightmodel has changed dramatically - and it's no longer fun to fly choppers. On the other hand, some are saying that it's ok once you get the hang of it..
Haven't heard much about Harriers actually having VTOL capabilities tiredsmiley.gif

Quote Post
AriesUK
post Nov 24 2006, 19:30
Post #3

Member No.: 232

The ah1 and mh6 flight models are the only ones i've had experience of so far, and I have to say it doesn't feel anything like as maneuverable or controllable as OFP. The choppers seem to go into weird spins at times and they can take an age to gain and lose altitude. I'm going to persevere though and see if I can get to grips with it.

Generally though the look and feel of the game is very impressive, I'm sure the few little annoyances will be ironed out in patches.

Quote Post
Blackscorpion
post Nov 24 2006, 23:07
Post #4

You played FS2004? Any comparance to that, easier/harder (I'm not actually that crappy pilot in FS2004 lol)?

--------------------

Words were coming out of my fingertips faster than my thoughts could process them in my brains... My plead is for temporary insanity that was caused by permanent insanity of very, very twisted nerve cluster that's called brain matter, that's supposed to be grey but isn't, it's black and has a somewhat sarcastic and dark sense of humor, or lacks it totally.

Quote Post
Red Square Monkey
post Nov 24 2006, 23:24
Post #5

There will be cake.

Member No.: 117

The question is: is it worth to get a joystick for ArmA? Can you make crazy maneuvers with the AV-8 which are only possible while flying with a joystick (like in BF2?).
And why the hell does the OPFOR have a Sopwith Camel with bullshit markings in their airforce? I guess BIS listened to all the people that wanted the community to finish the game instead of adding some decent planes themselves.

Does anyone have a pic of that dirt runway btw?

Quote Post
Blackscorpion
post Nov 24 2006, 23:45
Post #6

You meant ArmA?

Well, depends on yourself. If you don't fly alot, especially planes, or don't need "hands free" (i.e. you can aim the V-80 (=Ka-50) cannon with the mouse while flying with joystick), then I don't really know whether you'd need it. But if you're like I am, having couple of flight sims (the yoke I got was actually for Il-2, but... useful in OFP too), well, then... why the hell not use it?

I'm quite good chopper pilot in OFP, the stick gives a nice amount of agility, especially for smaller birds (flipped an MH-6/MD-500 over more than few times in really sharp turns). For planes... well you can fly upside down, i.e., and target missiles and such quite freely. Not really sure if it eases up the landing, but I've noticed that I can land to most treeless areas in OFP. Atleast if it's uphill.

--------------------

Quote Post
Red Square Monkey
post Nov 25 2006, 00:37
Post #7

There will be cake.

QUOTE(Blackscorpion @ Nov 24 2006, 23:45) *

You meant ArmA?

Well, depends on yourself. If you don't fly alot, especially planes, or don't need "hands free" (i.e. you can aim the V-80 (=Ka-50) cannon with the mouse while flying with joystick), then I don't really know whether you'd need it. But if you're like I am, having couple of flight sims (the yoke I got was actually for Il-2, but... useful in OFP too), well, then... why the hell not use it?

I'm quite good chopper pilot in OFP, the stick gives a nice amount of agility, especially for smaller birds (flipped an MH-6/MD-500 over more than few times in really sharp turns). For planes... well you can fly upside down, i.e., and target missiles and such quite freely. Not really sure if it eases up the landing, but I've noticed that I can land to most treeless areas in OFP. Atleast if it's uphill.

Lol, yes I mean ArmA sweatingbullets.gif
And i'm also quite an aviation freak, spend most of my time flying in OFP, so that's why I asked.

Quote Post
Wittmann
post Nov 25 2006, 01:36
Post #8

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Admin Extraordinaire
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 18

The Camel is a bit of an inside joke with the ArmA community as it was one of the first BIS released addons for OFP...

--------------------

Junglewraiths Clan - GAU
Evil Director of Forum Resources

Quote Post
Crankep
post Nov 25 2006, 01:55
Post #9

Member No.: 281

I think what they wanted with the new flight model for helis is to make the player fly..slower. Turn slower, fly slower, take their time. Etc. If you turn to fast you will be launched into a massive spin.

Quote Post
Blackscorpion
post Nov 25 2006, 02:37
Post #10

Red Square Monkey, if you want one and especially if you might get some flightsims, hell yeah get one. This is only from OFP experience but still... it's woot. boppin2.gif

Choose yours wisely... I've heard about guys breaking theirs in just few months. Mine has lasted for nearly 3 years now... best ever MS product! tongue.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
Crankep
post Nov 25 2006, 12:02
Post #11

The X52 is good. But a bit expensive for only ArmA.

Quote Post
Crankep
post Nov 25 2006, 16:40
Post #12

QUOTE(Blackscorpion @ Nov 24 2006, 23:45) *

You meant ArmA?

Actually, that V-80, "mouse while flying with joystick" how do you do that? I is as if the camera aimer i locked. =/

Quote Post
Blackscorpion
post Nov 25 2006, 18:17
Post #13

I press Numpad * (next to Numpad Minus) to enable freelook (only head moves) and then just aim, as the freeaim doesn't affect commander and gunner positions (and thus, turret movement). A tad hard to explain, I guess, but works fine if you just can keep track of where you're flying while sniping stuff with the 30mm. devil.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
Crankep
post Nov 25 2006, 18:24
Post #14

Ah, I tried that when using mouse only, but forgot when trying with joystick. Thanks. smile.gif

*Edit* Hmm won't move. -_- Gonna check my controls for the mouse..

Quote Post
Red Square Monkey
post Nov 25 2006, 21:39
Post #15

There will be cake.

QUOTE(Blackscorpion @ Nov 25 2006, 02:37) *

Red Square Monkey, if you want one and especially if you might get some flightsims, hell yeah get one. This is only from OFP experience but still... it's woot. boppin2.gif

Choose yours wisely... I've heard about guys breaking theirs in just few months. Mine has lasted for nearly 3 years now... best ever MS product! tongue.gif

[offtopic]
Yeah I got Flight Simulator X Deluxe...

..no joystick though stupid.gif You can play it with keyboard but it really sucks then.
[/offtopic]

Quote Post
CJE
post Nov 26 2006, 18:49
Post #16

Member No.: 22

To be honest, I wouldn't expect Arma to be awesome when it comes to flight sim, remember, this game is not solely a flight sim, but also you drive cars, walk around etc. Think of all the different stuff the engine copes with. If it is an improvement from OFP, I'll be happy, if it's more or less the same, I'll be happy, I mean, OFP wasn't awful now was it? boppin2.gif

--------------------
I'm back! Muhahahaha.
Upgraded PC:
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz E Prescott (Used to overheat, but now in a cool Thermaltake case)
2Gb Ram
256Mb 7600 GT

Quote Post
Blackscorpion
post Nov 26 2006, 20:58
Post #17

Apparently you've never played OFP with me. I fly a lot, atleast when there's a chance... gone as far as shooting someone taking "my" chopper. On a public server. devil.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
Crankep
post Nov 26 2006, 21:06
Post #18

Blackscorpion, I really can't the the turret to work, what axises should mouse be put on for it to work?

Quote Post
Blackscorpion
post Nov 26 2006, 21:17
Post #19

Hmmm? What you mean? I just use default settings, maybe a tad lowered (0.4 or something like that). Y axis normal. "Look around" using "Left Alt", "Free-look" using "* [NUM]". Joystick enabled. If this doesn't help, I can't quite help you.

Pilot V-80. Enable freelook either by pressing Numpad * (or if you have a different key, it) or pressing and keeping down left Alt button. Either cycle to 30mm cannon or just enter optics straight away (the camera still moves, so only ref. point when flying with the camera is either the aiming dot or the sensor antennas on the nose). Errrr... move your mouse vertically (Y axis).

Works for me.

--------------------

Quote Post
Crankep
post Nov 26 2006, 21:31
Post #20

Hmm ok, I'll try again. Thanks for the help. smile.gif

Edit: The turret won't move. I have freelook on, press V to the the turret camera up. But it won't move. sad.gif

Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 22:47