Reply to this topicStart new topic
> UK SAS addon, Upcomming release of Desert Patrol units
Munkee(GBR)
post Dec 9 2008, 00:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,703

Hi everyone,

Due to the apparent absence of any dedicated UK SAS addons out there, I decided to have a go. This is my first attempt at addon making, so please bear with me! I would like to say a massive thank you to STALKERGB, benamania and ADO@GMC for their help, as without them I wouldn't have got to this stage. Cheers smile.gif

So far I have made 7 units with bergens to form an 8 man SAS Desert Patrol which has been based on the 1991 Bravo Two Zero team.

Leader - shemagh on head an neck + goggles on face
Assault - shemagh + goggles around neck
Heavy Gun - shemagh around neck + goggles on face
Medic - shemagh masking whole of head + goggles on face
Demolition - woollen hat + goggles on face
Radio - woollen hat + shemagh and goggles around neck
Recon - shemagh on head and neck + googles around neck

I've made use of the brilliant UKF_Weapons addon in order to use LAW 80 rocket launchers and the GMPG of "gympie" heavy machinegun which the team would have carried on their patrol.

Please follow the links below to the images;

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1239/uksas1dd9.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4264/uksas2tg5.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/751/uksas3rk2.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/8581/uksas4tg8.jpg

Please feel free to either publically or pm me any comments or suggestions.

An ALPHA release should be ready in the next week or so...

If this addon goes well there are plans to produce undercover SAS units as would be working with the Afghans against the Taliban and the Woodland DPM units also.

Cheers and Happy Christmas to you all,

Munkee(GBR)

This post has been edited by Munkee(GBR): Dec 9 2008, 19:02

Quote Post
Blackbuck
post Dec 9 2008, 00:36
Post #2

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Appointed Olivia Wilde Stalker
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 113

www.imageshack.us < Free image hosting smile.gif

--------------------

--------------------
Heed my words or risk being beaten with a stick then fed to my associate D@V£
The Rules - Most places have rules, these are ours Read them!
Moderation Feedback Thread - Let everyone know how much you don't like D@V£
--------------------

Quote Post
Munkee(GBR)
post Dec 9 2008, 19:04
Post #3

Thanks for that. I have upload the 4 pics to imageshack and added the links to the first post.

Cheers,

Munkee(GBR)

Quote Post
D@V£
post Dec 9 2008, 20:38
Post #4

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Member No.: 155

Looks good!

Although... I don't think the SAS use Chicom assault rigs... you should see about reproportioning and retexturing it into something like a Wyvern or Webtex.

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
Blackbuck
post Dec 9 2008, 20:53
Post #5

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Appointed Olivia Wilde Stalker
Group Icon

Member No.: 113

They did use something like it Dave. It took ideas from it IIRC. Will try and find the pics out for some time in the near future for you on MSN =]

--------------------

--------------------
Heed my words or risk being beaten with a stick then fed to my associate D@V£
The Rules - Most places have rules, these are ours Read them!
Moderation Feedback Thread - Let everyone know how much you don't like D@V£
--------------------

Quote Post
Nito
post Dec 9 2008, 22:00
Post #6

Member No.: 2,259

If you look at the picture below, notice the guy on the left with the hat and the sun glasses, now imagine that with your shemaghs and camouflage pattern and a different colour jumper, maybe green instead of black. I think that could work pretty well too.
I read in a book that they wasn't prepare enough for the cold at night, and one day they got lots of civilian coats delivered by C-130. At one stage, while driving in Iraq, they couldn't avoid close visual contact with the Iraqi army, but due to their looks the Iraqis just let them by, probably thinking that they where some sort of Iraqi SpecOp.
On a side note, I never believe everything they write or say.

That's from the "Mercenaries (v 0.5 beta)" from schnapsdrossel, and is lots of very interesting units in that pack.
Looking good by the way.

This post has been edited by Nito: Dec 9 2008, 22:03

Quote Post
Dory
post Dec 12 2008, 01:07
Post #7

Member No.: 4,684

YUS! Ive been waiting for a SAS addon for so long, this is looking great so far, got tired of Americans.
Just minor things really that id like;
- also from the Operation Flashpoint SAS, there was an option to roll the sleeves up and down. Since its only a 8 man patrol, atleast it means it adds abit more randomness to it rather than generic soldier models, and would answer Nito alil bit in how they can just adapt to heat and cold in the environments

- Add a soldier that is like ur Heavy gunner but just with no goggles at all, just shemagh around the neck and thats it

- Maybe even camo the M16s like in Bravo two zero, but thats not too important.

So far uve done really well with the SAS addons, now all u gotta do is flesh them out so they dont seem so "neat and tidy" with their pressed clothes and clean faces, and more like proper special forces that are worn down and look like they have been in the harsh environments for long periods of time.

thanks alot

Quote Post
sabre
post Dec 12 2008, 05:02
Post #8

Member No.: 62

These would be a fine stand-in for a Gulf War style UKSAS unit, good work mate.

--------------------

Quote Post
Munkee(GBR)
post Dec 16 2008, 20:52
Post #9

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for all of your kind words and very helpful suggestions/requests.

I'm sorry I haven't released the addon yet, but I want to ensure I put something out which I can be proud of and something which is as accurate as a possible for a novice like me to achieve!!

I've decided to delay the release of the addon until I can pull together the changes I want to make, which include;

- A final unit model with shemagh around neck and no goggles, that makes 8 patrol members smile.gif
- Desert DPM textures to the torso rather than the slight mixed texture I have at the moment. This has very kindly prepared by STALKERGB!
- In the selection menu of the ARMA mission editor, each patrol member will be listed from 1-8 and I will provide a pdf info card showing which one is which for ease of selection.
- Add gloves to the units.
- Have half the patrol with rolled up sleeves and the other half down.
- Have half the patrol with minimi's (M249) and the other half with M16 203's with desert camo probably from AimPoint Desert Weapons Pack addon.
- The half of the patrol with the M16 203's will be carrying LAW 80's. The half with the minimi's won't have LAW 80's.
- I'll ensure each man has a good measure of facial growth and swathy skin tone.
- Weathered/worn fatigues and pack textures.
- As far as I can tell, and from how I have been informed, the members of Bravo Two Zero used UK webbing with their loads on their hips. I understand that nowadays, SAS members are allowed to choose their own fatigues and load carrying systems on the basis of comfort and whatever helps them to blend in, be it ACU fatigues and chest rigs or UK DPM and webbing. I need to tweak what I've got in respect of the webbing to make it look more like the UK stuff and add the required ammo pouches etc.

I hope you don't mind bearing with me for a little while longer! I am aiming to have the addon ready for Father Christmas to drop down the ISDN line! smile.gif

There will definitely be further UK SAS addons following this one...

Best wishes,

Munkee(GBR)

Quote Post
sabre
post Dec 17 2008, 01:06
Post #10

Member No.: 62

Your addon mate, make it what you want it to be, then release it. Good luck with it.

--------------------

Quote Post
Psychosim
post Dec 17 2008, 17:14
Post #11

Member No.: 4,720

Sounds good.......

worship.gif

Quote Post
Dory
post Dec 18 2008, 13:03
Post #12

Member No.: 4,684

Take as long as u need mate, the new list of changes sounds gr8! just a note that the Desert Aimpoint weapons only include M4s with the desert camo i think, but i guess it shouldnt be hard at all to swap afew texture folders and make it fix on an M16.

would be awesome to see some pics on ur current progress but dw if its a hastle aye.

cant wait for the addon, looks to be shaping up very handsomely

p.s. dont forget the shiny thing wink.gif

Quote Post
Psychosim
post Dec 18 2008, 18:39
Post #13

Member No.: 4,720

Plumose and Soulcatcher released a good pack of Desert and Woodland camo'd M16's......... They'd be good with this pack!

Quote Post
Gurk
post Dec 28 2008, 00:26
Post #14

Member No.: 3,673

Hello,

Munkee i sent you a PM i hope you accept biggrin.gif

anyway the units look brilliant and those chest rigs their wearing if you mod them a bit they will look like the northern ireland assault vest (think thats what its called) smile.gif

Quote Post
Munkee(GBR)
post Dec 28 2008, 16:28
Post #15

Hi Gurk, I will PM you after writing this message...

Sorry I haven't posted for a bit, I have been doing more research on the issue of the webbing that the desert patrols in 1991 would have used. After finding out what it looked like, I had to decide how best to show this on the unit (Option 1) just by texturing the body of the unit, or (Option 2) by creating a model of the webbing and pouches.
I have decided to go with (2).

As for the other amendments:
- Patrol now has 8 members
- STALKERGB's terrific desert DPM textures have been applied
- Gloves are now on all units.
- Half the patrol with minimi's (M249) and the other half with M16 203's with desert camo probably from AimPoint Desert Weapons Pack addon and Plumose and Soulcatcher cam weapons (thanks Psychosim!)
- Half of the patrol have M16 203's and also carry LAW 80's. The half with the minimi's don't LAW 80's.
- Facial growth and swathy skin tone sorted.

Jobs still to do:
- Finish modelling the webbing and texture it...may need some help with the texturing and may put out a plea for help later!
- Have half the patrol with rolled up sleeves and the other half down.
- Weathered/worn fatigues and pack textures...again, I may need to issue a plea for help with this!

Cheers and best wishes,

Munkee(GBR)

This post has been edited by Munkee(GBR): Dec 28 2008, 16:30

Quote Post
Benoist
post Dec 28 2008, 18:05
Post #16

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Mr. Argentina 2012
Group Icon

Group: Newshound
Member No.: 1,502

Could you release a pack with Aimpoint weapons and another with normal ArmA weapons?

I have Aimpoint Desert weapons, but if I want to make a mission with that addon only, or someone doesn't want to download the addon, etc. Just for make it compatible with everybody.

Quote Post
Gurk
post Dec 31 2008, 02:29
Post #17

Btw what type of webbing are you making???

Are you basing these units on the Bravo Two Zero Patrol if so go buy the book tongue.gif

Quote Post
Munkee(GBR)
post Dec 31 2008, 13:28
Post #18

I'm forming the Northern Ireland Assault vest, looks like this one from WebTex http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6272/nivestcs5.jpg

Some images I've been trying to work from:
Andy McNab: http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5216/andymcnab2zezj8.jpg
2 sas members, one wearing N.Ireland webbing: http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9372/sasirak19912ow0.jpg
3 sas members, two wearing N.Ireland webbing: http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/7899/reststop8gcrv5.jpg
2 sas members on stag, http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/245/stag6yils2.jpg
2 sas members with chest rigs, http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/2775/50cal8vdxz1.jpg

Just need to finish texturing the assault vest and will then be looking at how to "weather" the clothing and bergen textures.

If anyone can help tell me how to do this I would very much appreciate it smile.gif

Happy New Year to you all!

Quote Post
Gurk
post Dec 31 2008, 13:36
Post #19

Hey,

If you need i havea chest rig that you could use! smile.gif

Em as for texturing im not really a texturer but if i remember correctly you layer the dirt and stuff over the other textures wink.gif

And Munkee send me a PM!!! 0.o

Quote Post
Munkee(GBR)
post Dec 31 2008, 16:30
Post #20

Gurk: PM sent

Here are some images of the assault vest/webbing on a unit with rolled up sleeves:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/228/assaultvest1fl0.jpg
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2792/assaultvest2bf7.jpg
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6612/assaultvest3lo7.jpg

Not finished yet, some tweaking of the MLOD to sort, but almost there. I will have a go at the textures to make it all a weathered/worn woodland DPM as this is what the lads in 1991 appear to have had. See photo from the B20 book: http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9139/bravotwozerort6.jpg

Anyone, let me know your thoughts for tweaks/amendments for me to consider.

Cheers.

Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:49