Forum Rules ArmedAssault.info Forum Rules
> Laser Designator and other stuff.
Focha
post Jun 19 2007, 17:29
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 909

I there.

I have a question here. In the servers that use evolution 3.0 (i think) is the Laser Designator working? For example. I pick up my gear at HQ go for a MH6, leave it, inserting, lase a target call for AV8 and the bombs will fall on laser designation place? And about those little flash lase things (sorry i cant remember the name), I think that those go in the helmet of troops so they are able to see each other with NVGs, what they do exactly? I remember to see one of those things on the Black Hawk movie when a guy trough that to a roof top and MH6 see those flashy things and fire to there.

And if there is some other stuff that do not work can you please tell me.

Sorry if this was in an early post but I do a search and dont find anything that answer me.

Best regards for all and good fights.

Focha

Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Focha
post Jun 27 2007, 17:27
Post #2

Ok someone can lockup this post? As no one respond...

Thank you for your help.

Focha

Quote Post
Naish
post Jun 28 2007, 13:05
Post #3

Member No.: 931

I did it not long ago and some other guy said he could see the targets from his harrier. I'm not exactly sure how it works as I've never been in the jet seeing people designate stuff myself. But remember those battery-looking things at base (whatever they are) or it won't work. Hope that helped a bit. blink.gif

Quote Post
Blackscorpion
post Jun 28 2007, 16:00
Post #4

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Rifleman-in-Charge

Member No.: 270

Let's see... most US soldiers carry "cat eye" bands on their helmets, and have been doing so since atleast Vietnam; they're made of some sort of reflective material, and can be distinguished in low-light conditions with naked eye. Although nowadays also IFF tags are used, which respond, and thus "shine", to the wavelenght used on NVGs. The strobes used in BHD and also the real event (they marked their own location IRL, though) are like normal strobes, but the light emits in infrared wavelenghts instead of visual (human spectrum) light. They're used in marking positions of all sorts, i.e. downed pilot, friendly/hostile location et cetera, and basically serve similar fuction to (colored) smoke grenades.

Ummmm no idea if the LD actually works in ArmA, as I haven't tested. But I guess it has batteries for the thing to use and well... then you just turn it on and start illuminating (aiming at) the target you wanna get destroyed by Hellfires/LGBs. If it works, that is...

--------------------
Hakkaa päälle Pohjan poika!

Words were coming out of my fingertips faster than my thoughts could process them in my brains... My plead is for temporary insanity that was caused by permanent insanity of very, very twisted nerve cluster that's called brain matter, that's supposed to be grey but isn't, it's black and has a somewhat sarcastic and dark sense of humor, or lacks it totally.

The self-appointed God of Scor Nango. Not an emperor, just... God.

Quote Post
Focha
post Jun 29 2007, 22:40
Post #5

Thank you a lot for your help and reply. If anyone can add something more just go ahead please.

Best regards to all and agins thank you a lot.

Focha

Quote Post
DaRat
post Jun 29 2007, 23:14
Post #6

~Established April, 2004~

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 34

Right! To clear it up - the Laser Designator in ArmA does work. Providing the "weapon" has batteries it, it works as follows:

1. Guy with LD selects the LD and points it at a certain spot. He fires!
2. A little laser dot/ white light will appear where he is aiming (notice it moves around as you move the LD around.)
(it is essentially creating an "enemy" radar blip for pilots to see)
3. The GBU's in ArmA can only lock onto this blip, and so the LD user must keep the spot in the same place until the bombs splash down upon it.

The bombs will be guided to the target (assuming they can actually get there [drop them 2 miles away and they wont hit tongue.gif ])
You must keep the laser in the same spot until the bombs have exploded - the LD is not a weapon to merely fire once at something and expect the bombs to know where you fired - they need a constant lock in order to be guided wink.gif

To try it out, put a SF Recon guy near a BMP (make sure the BMP can't see him but he can see it tongue.gif) and place yourself as a Harrier with GBU's. The Recon will lase it for you automatically after a few seconds, and you will be able to lock onto the "Laser Target" as if it were a normal tank and you had missiles selected - the GBU's can't lock onto tanks and so have to lock onto the laser which is near to a tank to get the desired effect smile.gif

Hope it helps

Quote Post
Focha
post Jul 5 2007, 00:20
Post #7

It helped a lot da rat. Thank you for your time replying to this post.

Best regards for all and I hope that the info in this post will help you guys.

Focha

Quote Post
Old Bear
post Jul 6 2007, 16:33
Post #8

Forum Addict
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 20

Laser designator is working !
I have played many times as forward observer for an AV8 squadron.

1° Don't forget to take battery with the Laser Designator,
2° Look for a convenient place where you can see without being seen,
3° Tell the AV8 your are ready,
4° Use Laser Designator as binocs to find a target,
5° Get the target centered, light the LD by a left click, a diamond shape appears (centered on the target), wait until you see the GBUs hitting it.
6° Shut off before targeting again.

Beware (in order not to receive the GBU on your own head)
- when the target is not too far, or if there are obstacles between you and the target, the laser may lights these and not the target.
- when you are looking for a new target, shut off the LD.
You can train in night SP missions, during the night the laser spot is visible.

--------------------

Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 15:58