IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules ArmedAssault.info Forum Rules
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Armed Assault 2 News., Tell us your opinion.
DaV!d Armstrong
post Mar 2 2008, 18:05
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,778

This week k@voven informed the Arma community in the BI forums the German PC-Games magazine has written a preview about Arma 2 in their recent release.
With that preview they also released a small video showing the interview with Maruk.
Flashbang151 informed the community in the BI forums Lester posted a link to this video a few days back in the Mapfact forums.

Download the original .avi version from here http://www.armaholic.com/argentina/videos/ArmA2_PCGames.avi

Source: http://www.armaholic.com

Armed Assault 2

No compromises. The military simulation from CZ stays ultra realistic.

Marek Spanel is a very relaxed man. We recognize that quickly when we visit his enterprise somewhere in CZ. This is because he was able to earn glory and much money with the tactic-shooter Operation Flashpoint, which was selled over two million times. And if you consider that only ten people worked on the first game of BI you can imagine, why Marek is always in a good mood.
The inofficial sequel, called Armed Assault for legal reasons, was sold up till now 300.000 times.
Now BI is working with 50 people on their next game, following the consequent way of the predecessors. Armed Assault 2 will be a hard war-simulation, who's first objective is being realistic. That's why we took a closer look at an early version of the game in the office of the developer, asked Marek many questions and even took a video, which can be found on the magazine-dvd.

There shall be no experiments. Marek says straight on that ArmA 2 will be exactly the game fans are waiting for. No less then being the most realistic war-simulator on PC. The setting will be the fictional country of Chenarus, freely translated into Blackrussia. Protests smolder and pro-communist forces try to reintegrate the country into Russia. The conflicts escalets when the "Cheanrus Red Star Movement" conquer vast parts of the country and even the capital Chernogorsk in 2009.
But the reintegrations fails. The premier minister Alexander Baranov is executed, the leaders of the rebellion call out the Social Republic of Chenarus. The remaining democratic fores ask the West for help. Naturaly the Americans don't let themselves be said that twice and send their forces into the country. Together with the army of Chenarus they shall drive the rebells back and free the country.

BI has learned. In ArmA the player only was a tiny little wheel in the war-machine. Sometimes as pilot, sometimes as simple soldier or as BlackOp. The story only was about the missions, not about the person sitting behind the gun. An idenfitication with your character simply failed under these circumstances. Many players didn't like that. So like in the ArmA addon Queens Gambit BI is counting on special characters. In ArmA 2 you play in a 5-man US Marine Corps team. This squad called Razor consists out of individualists, who even have an own biography.
master Sergeant Patrick Miles joined the army with 19. Through outstanding duty in Iraq he was made leader of the Razor team. Other team members are Chad Rodriguez (heavy weapons), Brian O'Hara (medic), Randy Sykes (sniper) and Matt Cooper (grenades).
As soon as this squad enters combat you can switch between the characters as you like. In addition you can controll the behaviour of your men.
A reworkes version of the ArmA command-system will be also found in the second part. The developers still work on a more user-friendly handling. For example you don't have to order assaults via keyboard anymore, but your mouse will automatically recognize if your sending your men into cover or if they have to engage a target. Soldiers now even use cover on their own and spy around corners. This is because of the new micro-AI system. It gives the soldiers the possiblity to behave acurat in special situations, like moving around objects, take cover or give suppressive fire.
"The micro AI is a real break-though for us" says Marek. With the new technic fights shall be a lot more exciting. "A fight with 5 enemys now is a real challenge.
Different to CoD4:Modern Warfare events aren't scripted. AI is reacting to each situation on their own. Sounds good, but lead to some funny situations in the first versions of the prequel, when your own men cleared a whole city without your support or needed patrols didn't make it to their designation. But BI worked hard on this part, promises Marek.

A bit more complicated will be sending whole armys into battle. There will be battles in Armed Assualt 2 with up to 100 men on each side. How many you will command yourself is still uncertain. At the moment you have around 30 soldiers under your command including tanks and gunships. For commanding these masses effectivly a new system called "High Command System" is designated to help you. This works similar to a strategy game, where you select your units from a top-view and send them around on the map. Though this feature wasn't finished in the showed version, you even shall be able to change the direction your units are viewing. But still you will take part in the battle.

The massive enviroment in ArmA 2 includes 230 km^2. This time the developers even took real terrain as archetype. They simply took a part from CZ and changed in into the country Chernarus. Beaches and souther flair as seen in ArmA won't be found anywhere. Instead you have untouched forests, vast plains and big cities, like Chernogorsk.
Many missions are no longer set in open air, but in bombed houses or factories, since the developers want to put close quaters combat more into the foreground. Another new technic will make destructible buildings possible. With the right weapons you will be able to destroy buildings completly. The cool thing: The holes in houses can be used to shoot through. (This system wasn't finished, too in the shown version) How many houses will be destroyable is still uncertain. But we guess that only a small part of a city will have this system.

A label of the serie has always been the very acurate vehicles. More than 50 ground and air vehicles will be included in ArmA 2, like the russion T-90, or the Hind. A view into the cockpit reveals details, players are only used to in flight simulators. Even a small fan is turning.
But that's not everything. Anti-Air measures like the Tunguska tank or the BTR-90 for transporting troops are included as well. In fact you know many of these vehicles from the prequels, but even new things made in into the game, like the MV-22 Osprey, which can be seen on the DVD.
In addion there are civilian vehicles, but not old cars like the brand Lada or tractors. This time you can find modern VW Golfs for example. (A hint for the strong German community?)
Coming to weapons the developers also have amazing knowledge. Ivan Buchta, responsible for the design of the enviroment, turns out as a real expert on this area. With bright eyes he tells us about the real examples of the over 50 weapons you can use, including over a dozen variants of the AK-47. Fights won't be just simulated, but calculated accuratly. Ballistics consists out of factors like deflection or the stuff the material is made of. "If a bullet hits your leg, it has been really fired and it's flying path correctly calculated.

At the end some things about the engine. Such a huge world with millions of objects and dynamic acting AI eats a lot of ressources. This is one point why ArmA 2 isn't shining like Crysis or CoD4. Nether the less, modern Direct-X-10 graphics and multi-core-cpus will be supported. Another thing Marek is pointing out: Why should tanks and choppers glare and have complex effects, when in just doens't simulate reality?
BI stays true to his way of developing games not following the mainstream. On the one hand there is the danger do develope past the main markets, but on the other hand the fans of the realistic fights will thank it the guys from CZ, so Marek Spanel can stay a very relaxed man.

Conclusion:
After the visit in CZ I had to play a round ArmA at first. Thanks to many patches it's much better then at the start. A prove for the work the developers are still putting into their products and how importent a working community is for them. 'cause since ArmA is a born-and-bred simulation, BI is listing properly to the fans and what they like or dislike. The results flow directly into ArmA 2. The properly greatest defect was the AI which stays under observation. Only a test of the final product will show, if the new micro AI works. But on the sector for military games there is no ways past the developers from CZ.

Original article by Robert Horn.

--------------------

Quote Post
AllForWar
post Mar 2 2008, 20:29
Post #2

Member No.: 2,433

From what I've seen (through vids), it appears that ArmA 2 will utilize the VBS2 engine. Is this correct?

edit:
thanks for sharing by the way. smile.gif drunk.gif

Quote Post
Linker Split
post Mar 2 2008, 20:49
Post #3

literally the BIG BOSS of OFP
Group Icon

Group: Addon Maker
Member No.: 66

QUOTE(AllForWar @ Mar 2 2008, 20:29) *
From what I've seen (through vids), it appears that ArmA 2 will utilize the VBS2 engine. Is this correct?

ArmA, ArmA II and VBS2 uses the same engine, real Virtuality 2.
the difference is that in VBS2 some entries are not locked, while in ArmA and ArmA2 are

--------------------
Visit my blog about Poker at Blogspot.com

-->TUTORIAL ON HOW TO MAKE NORMAL MAPPING IN ARMA!<--
-->MATERIAL EDITOR TUTORIAL!<--
-->DOWNLOAD MY HDT ISLAND!<--
judgement = hypocritical and slightly deluded

Quote Post
AllForWar
post Mar 2 2008, 20:51
Post #4

QUOTE(Linker Split @ Mar 2 2008, 13:49) *
ArmA, ArmA II and VBS2 uses the same engine, real Virtuality 2.
the difference is that in VBS2 some entries are not locked, while in ArmA and ArmA2 are

OK, I understand. Thanks. smile.gif

Quote Post
JdB
post Mar 2 2008, 21:32
Post #5

Hipster addonmaker

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 10

No discussion of VBS is allowed.

§11)No posting of VBS1/2 information

ArmedAssault.info is dedicated to BIS games only so absolutely no discussion of VBS in any of its incarnations is allowed.

--------------------
Creator of dodgy ArmA:CWA addons.

Quote Post
DaV!d Armstrong
post Mar 2 2008, 23:00
Post #6

QUOTE(JdB @ Mar 2 2008, 21:32) *

Wow! This is so disciplined. thumbsup.gif
Okay guys! Now lets continue talking about that good ArmA 2 Video.In my opinion there are some advancement on ArmA 2.
1.The Viewdistance looks more realistic,but it is explainable.It looks more realistic cuz it is farther than the Viewdistance from ArmA (1).And it looks for better performance for me.
2.The animals,i mean what we exacly needed in the forest on Sahrani were animals.I saw a wildpig on the screen of a modder.And i also hope they will put some wolfs or other farm animals into the game.I mean animals like,cows,bulls,horses,etc.
3.The models are looking more detailed,and this is a poor advancement,cuz if you take a look on the models from Jonny, you will realize that this one are even better,than the models from ArmA 2.

--------------------

Quote Post
AllForWar
post Mar 2 2008, 23:09
Post #7

QUOTE(JdB @ Mar 2 2008, 14:32) *

I really don't get this. I mean, if the discussion pertains to ArmA then what is the big deal? I mean, seriously! I personally would like to discuss VBS2 to get to know ArmA2 more. It's not like we are trashing ArmA. It is more-less trying to get to know ArmA even more than we do now. And you mention that "ArmedAssault.info is dedicated to BIS games only" and although VBS2 isn't a "game", is is still developed by BIS, correct? I think you guys should allow some discussion on VBS2 just for the plain fact that ArmA is very similiar to it and since that is true, this could help us all understand ArmA2 a bit better. Thats just my opinion. mellow.gif

Quote Post
JdB
post Mar 2 2008, 23:16
Post #8

Hipster addonmaker

Member No.: 10

There are a few rules that are not up to discussion, and this rule is one of them. Also discussion of moderating directives is not allowed in any thread other than the Forum Moderation Feedback thread and PM.

Next breach of the rules, including using VBS in the discussion or discussing directives of the moderating staff will result in the closing of this thread, and action being taken against the poster(s).

--------------------
Creator of dodgy ArmA:CWA addons.

Quote Post
AllForWar
post Mar 2 2008, 23:17
Post #9

QUOTE(DaV!d Armstrong @ Mar 2 2008, 16:00) *
Wow! This is so disciplined. thumbsup.gif
Okay guys! Now lets continue talking about that good ArmA 2 Video.In my opinion there are some advancement on ArmA 2.
1.The Viewdistance looks more realistic,but it is explainable.It looks more realistic cuz it is farther than the Viewdistance from ArmA (1).And it looks for better performance for me.
2.The animals,i mean what we exacly needed in the forest on Sahrani were animals.I saw a wildpig on the screen of a modder.And i also hope they will put some wolfs or other farm animals into the game.I mean animals like,cows,bulls,horses,etc.
3.The models are looking more detailed,and this is a poor advancement,cuz if you take a look on the models from Jonny, you will realize that this one are even better,than the models from ArmA 2.

I agree on all of your points. We couldn't see this in the video but I have read that the maps in ArmA2 will be much bigger. The one thing I did notice in the video was that the terrain and objects appears to be much more detailed, even though the video quality wasn't the greatest. I wish I would have heard the video in English, that would have been nice, lol. smile.gif
Te other thing I have read about ArmA2, which I hope is NOT true, is that there will not be as many building that we can walk into. For example, in OFP we were able to walk into many buildings and houses but I have read that ArmA2 will not be like this. It will be limited. I hope this is not true. I would love to be able to enter more buildings, etc for cover. And, one more final note for this post, I have seen other videos of ArmA23 and have seen actual damage to the environment such as buldings, etc. This was a very nice thing to see as it made it more realistic but it also made it possible for more cover from gun fire, etc. There is just something about hiding in the ruins of a building that was blown to bits from a tank or a missle. smile.gif

Any one else here have any information about being able to enter buildings, etc?

Quote Post
DaV!d Armstrong
post Mar 3 2008, 01:25
Post #10

QUOTE(AllForWar @ Mar 2 2008, 23:17) *
Any one else here have any information about being able to enter buildings, etc?

There will be some buildings you can get into,and some closed buildings.I bet it will be the same like already on ArmA.BIS also changed the building damage system,you are able now,to destroy a building part by part.Shot a hole into it,or destroy it completely.

--------------------

Quote Post
Benoist
post Mar 3 2008, 10:46
Post #11

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Mr. Argentina 2012
Group Icon

Group: Newshound
Member No.: 1,502

But if you can shot a hole in some buildings and enter they have to make interior for all the buildings, so, what's the point for make some of them closed?

EDIT:
About the video and the article:

After see what they are doing I'm having confidence in BIS again, It's going to be a good game.

Quote Post
Deadeye
post Mar 3 2008, 11:27
Post #12

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Gentleman Usher of the Banstick

Member No.: 11

QUOTE(Benoist @ Mar 3 2008, 10:46) *
But if you can shot a hole in some buildings and enter they have to make interior for all the buildings, so, what's the point for make some of them closed?

EDIT:
About the video and the article:

After see what they are doing I'm having confidence in BIS again, It's going to be a good game.

Simple answer....performance. wink.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
Benoist
post Mar 3 2008, 11:35
Post #13

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Mr. Argentina 2012
Group Icon

Group: Newshound
Member No.: 1,502

But the interiors are loaded anyway, how diferent could be the performance having the same building but one with an open door and the other closed?

Quote Post
Bence
post Mar 3 2008, 20:04
Post #14

huns not dead

Member No.: 72

News posted!

I don't think there'll be a loading system, you blow holes, you enter! If it's a "closed" bulding, you won't find rooms and objects in it. If it's open, you will! Simple.

--------------------
HUNS
NOT
DEAD

Quote Post
DaV!d Armstrong
post Mar 5 2008, 02:59
Post #15

QUOTE(Bence @ Mar 3 2008, 20:04) *
News posted!

I don't think there'll be a loading system, you blow holes, you enter! If it's a "closed" bulding, you won't find rooms and objects in it. If it's open, you will! Simple.

Like i already said,it will be same like on ArmA. thumbsup.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
Deadeye
post Mar 6 2008, 18:41
Post #16

Moving to the new shiny ArmA 2 Section smile.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
DaV!d Armstrong
post Mar 6 2008, 20:44
Post #17

QUOTE(Deadeye @ Mar 6 2008, 18:41) *
Moving to the new shiny ArmA 2 Section smile.gif

Juhu! Nice men! thumbsup.gif

--------------------

Quote Post
Valhalian
post Apr 18 2008, 11:14
Post #18

Member No.: 511

New ArmA 2 footage - article translation

If the article from our visit to the Bohemia Interactive HQ wasn't enough to satisfy your curiosity, we bring you footage shot during that visit. During that presentation we were allowed to record video and the creators have approved its publishing. First of all we would like to apologize for the poor quality caused by the lighting, author's shaking hands and the equipment, a small digital camera (which was for e.g. used to film a Mafia 2 trailer). Still we are convinced that that especially hardcore fans of ArmA or Flashpoint will appreciate these (English commented) recordings.

In the first video you will see the strategic overview interface of the battlefield. The head of the team, Marek Španěl, gives an order to a group of soldiers, later moves three Abrams tanks and sends them toward the enemy lines. The more receptive viewer may notice a US gunship in the background.

You can view a similar machine in more detail in the second video. It focuses on the Russian gunship, the Mi-24V. You will be able to see the detailed model from all possible angles, including the perfectly elaborated cockpit. In the end you can enjoy the preflight preparations and the starting of the rotors.

The third in-game recording is from a walk around a Chernarus forest. Pay attention to the diversity of the trees and other vegetation covering the ground. Very nice is especially the view of a distant hill and actually the whole autumn theme of the landscape.

In the first two minutes you will witness a number of gunfights in the harbor. You see a proof that AI taking cover isn't just an empty phrase. However Marek Španěl couldn't help a few risky dashes across the open ground. The last minute is devoted to the behavior of the AI from the view of the enemy. Practically all of its moves are fluid and meaningful. Furthermore it seems that the AI isn't cheating and is really searching for you.

Another short view shows the strategic overview of the battlefield and the ordering the units around. In the beginning you take a brief peek through the binoculars.

First of all a vertical take-off and then a fast flight over the Chernarus landscape. That could be the description of the next video, showing the improved VTOL/STOL fight model. Includes also a few shots of the cockpit.

What do the physics and the buildings demolition models look like so far? You can see Marek taking a shot at an apartment building in the town center. The particle effects are still missing, but in the final version you will be able to experience the concussions with the collapsing buildings, pile of rubble and a massive cloud of dust. Further details of building destruction are here.

In the last video is presented the new RTS mode for the last patch of the first Armed Assault. Most of the footage shows running around the freshly built buildings. It suits to say, that the building construction is still under development and will see some changes.

--------------------

Quote Post
Deadeye
post Apr 18 2008, 11:30
Post #19

Thank you very much Valhalian smile.gif I have updated the news and linked to this thread. Of course proper credits have been given.

--------------------

Quote Post
Valhalian
post Apr 18 2008, 11:44
Post #20

Member No.: 511

I was happy to help smile.gif

--------------------

Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:39