9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Operation Flashpoint 2 Dragon Rising, Everything about OFP 2 Dragon Rising
bulkington80
post Jul 18 2009, 19:52
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,468

It's not ALL about the Sardines. ArmA2 is just too bugfree at this moment to be playable & many ArmA1 veterans r simply not willing to wait for as long as they had to the last time to get everything sorted out. We'll see what OFP2 will be like soon enough.

--------------------
Good guys play ArmA-1

Quote Post
wipman
post Jul 18 2009, 20:28
Post #102

Member No.: 476

Hi, again; i don't care what or how codemasters do, i don't spect anything good from 'em. I did spected something better from BIS but instead, they came
up with this unswallowable thing. Let's C ya

--------------------

Quote Post
Wittmann
post Jul 20 2009, 08:10
Post #103

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Admin Extraordinaire
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 18

Im actually fair impressed with ArmA 2. I despised ArmA 1 when it first came out, hated the campaign and found I hardly played it at all.

ArmA 2 however feels much more like the OFP I remember - immersive, dynamic with a strong campaign.
Sure its not bug free but its running far better on the same hardware than ArmA did when it was version 1.0 and I installed it.

And I remember the first version of OFP...that was nowhere near bug free either. It will be better in time and I think with ArmA 2 BIS are finally back on their game and taking us to the 'new' OFP. ArmA 1 it seems was a stepping stone...give it a few more patches and reconsider. It is a decent game and I went in ready to be disappointed. Instead I am rather impressed and happily await patching and the expansion by the community of what is likely to be a great game.

--------------------

Junglewraiths Clan - GAU
Evil Director of Forum Resources

Quote Post
bulkington80
post Jul 20 2009, 19:39
Post #104

Saw a pic of the arma2 m1a2 tusk mlod with something like 9 or 10 textures (& that's without the normalpas etc.)
and it's VERY hi-poly. What the devs were thinking? Was it really not possible to make a single big texture or two?
I wonder if OFP2 will be optimized a littl better?

--------------------
Good guys play ArmA-1

Quote Post
D@V£
post Jul 21 2009, 00:11
Post #105

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

Probably due to the fact it shares textures with other vehicles and weapons (ie, the M2 and M240 will be shared with the HMMWV, the main chassis assembly and turret assembly with the M1A1 and such).

This results in fewer hires textures needing to be loaded as a whole (for example, with a single hires texture you'd essentially be loading the same texture multiple times).

There's a fine line with texture optimization. Probably chosen to provide a good degree of detail. Huge textures aren't good for any card.

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
bulkington80
post Jul 21 2009, 15:30
Post #106

Sounds just about right, although it seems that there's one texture for the tower, one for the body, another one for the tracks, yet another one for the ERA plates, two for the m.guns - i didn't bother to check what the rest of the textures were for. BTR-90 has either two or three texs & Uh-1Y has four.
When compared to some hi-quility models from other modern games like COD4 or BF2 (where you usually have 1-2 texs for a single model) it just seems like an overkill. But i do agree with your reasons too.

--------------------
Good guys play ArmA-1

Quote Post
DaKa
post Jul 23 2009, 18:38
Post #107

Member No.: 3,397

Personally I do not wish to insult anyone, but I am calling the game Dragon Rising, because OFP2 is ArmA2, and when I saw the "I got shot in the head... I'm bleeding badly... it's nothing serious" the game has got my expectations lower than COD4. I feel that gamers all around the world will cry out in tears when the'll first play DR, because they all expect a realistic simulator. And as far as I see it.... it is not.

This post has been edited by DaKa: Jul 24 2009, 20:29

Quote Post
bulkington80
post Jul 23 2009, 20:30
Post #108

not sure that they ALL expect a simulator boppin2.gif
10 times more players prefer COD4.

--------------------
Good guys play ArmA-1

Quote Post
DaKa
post Jul 24 2009, 20:29
Post #109

Member No.: 3,397

I know... but there are a bunch of lazy bums who believe the comercials and await a realistic sim...

Quote Post
Jeza
post Aug 6 2009, 13:14
Post #110

Guests

Id take all of them for what they are though. I loved ofp1, arma and now i love arma2, because they all suit the type a play i prefer to play 80% of the time, with say a clan a structured coop is fantastic with arma, and even singleplayer, i really enjoyed the arma2 campaign with all the alternative endings, the game makes you just think that second more and takes up more time and i got my money's worth. Also the fantastic community arma has, aling with its amazing addon makers just puts it on another level for me, its a really fantastic military sim. Now as for Ofp2, by the looks of it its going to be more accessable to the main-stream player, so from the looks of it you can jump in and get involved from the word go, and if thats what your after, then great, i also really enjoy playing bf2 and cod, becuase their great fun and a good fix, im not after some intuative realism based game when im playing then, just after a little gaming fix for a few hours. So tbh i think its unfair to put ArmA/ArmA2 in the same sentence as cod/bf2 and unfair to put ofp2 in the same view as arma, because i think they are both trying to achieve different things, well thats my view anyway.

Quote Post
wipman
post Aug 11 2009, 13:39
Post #111

Hi, another video of the Operation Flashpoint II - Dragon Raising, this time with some of the developers talking about the game, here it goes:

-=Operation Flashpoint II Dragon Rising Video=-

The game don't looks like a sim, it looks good... but looks more like a BF2 than an Armed Assault, is pimp to see that things like the weapon
attachments work, like the flashlights and i guess that the laser beams; don't looks that bad to me for a shooter BF2 "style". Let's C ya

--------------------

Quote Post
wipman
post Aug 12 2009, 21:59
Post #112

Hi, the translation of a spanish new about the ways of die in the OFP2 Dragon Riging:

SPANISH:
'El lanzamiento de Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising está a la vuelta de la esquina, y uno de sus productores, Sion Lenton, ha declarado en el portal RockPaperShotgun que trabajan para que las muertes sean “muy desagradables” como medio de sumergir al jugador en la historia.

“Un disparo en la cabeza significará la muerte instantánea, pero es mucho más complejo que eso”, declaró Lenton. “Puedes disparar a un tipo en su pierna o en el pecho y no morirá de forma instantánea, si te acercas a su posición lo verás desangrándose hasta morir”.

“Va a ser horrible de ver, no queremos que las muertes sean ligeras o fáciles, y ese mismo sistema de daños funcionará con el jugador, lo que significará que éste deberá ser muy cuidadoso”, comentó el ejecutivo. “El juego enseñará al usuario a no correr por el campo de batalla disparando las armas a lo loco”.'

ENGLISH!?:
'The launch of the Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising is at the other side of the corner, and one of it's producers, Sion Lenton, has declarated on the
portal RockPaperShotgun that they work for make that the deaths be "very discusting" as a way of submerge the player on the history.

"A shot in the head will mean the instant death, but's much more complex than that", said Lenton. "Ya can shoot a dude in his leg or in the chest and we'll not die in an instant way, if you get close ya'll see him bleeding out 'til die".

"It gonna be horrible to see, we don't want that the deaths to be soft or easy, and that same damage system will work with the player, what'll mean that
he must be carefull", comented the executive. "The game will teach the user to don't run by the field shooting the weapons crazy's way".'

Sounds interesting to me, i'll say how many and how horrible ways of die i'll like to see implemented in this game, or on every game, but... when i look
at the left of the screen and i see those four warning levels that i'd "colected" with a few of help... i remember the old BIS forum and ahhh i drink again
from my beer... . The OFP2 now sounds more interesting; let's hope that they release a demo to check it out 1St. Let's C ya

This post has been edited by wipman: Aug 12 2009, 22:05

--------------------

Quote Post
wipman
post Aug 17 2009, 12:47
Post #113

Hi, another OFP2 video, this time showing some vehicles that look alot like the ones in the BF2:

-=Operation Flashpoint 2 Dragon Rising=-

Let's C ya

--------------------

Quote Post
Toadball
post Aug 17 2009, 13:24
Post #114

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Slightly Mad Scotsman

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 1,331

How do they look like they came from BF2 exactly? If anything they are a number of vehicles that were requested by the community as addons to the origonal OFP.

Granted BF2 americans and PLA troops will have used similar vehicles but one thinks that if codemasters are doing the same sides there are bound to be some similarities. Anyway, I think they look pretty good, shame theres been no vids that i've seen with light amphibious craft.

--------------------
Never before in the history of man, was so much buggered up by so few.

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Aug 20 2009, 14:10
Post #115

Gentleman Usher of the Coffee Stain
Group Icon

Group: Site Team
Member No.: 19

I'm having something over you fanboys...

I actually played a pre-retail version of Dragon Rising at the Gamescom today. I'm gonna call it "Dragon Rising" from now on - without the "Operation Flashpoint" in the title - because the game simply doesn't deserve this seal of approval.

Trust me, you need to sit infront of the keyboard to really feel the gameplay. And there wasn't much of what could be felt.

Admittely I only played it for about five minutes but what I saw is an entirely new game which hasn't got anything in common with the predecessor except for the name.

The order menu is just shit. The shortkey-botch is just shit as well. With all the shiny boxes in the HUD, the game comes across like an arcarde version of a war game.

The graphics are really an eyecatcher and can easily challenge all the current reference games , however the landscape is not very varied.

I didn't have the opportunity to see much of the weaponry and gear, but what I used was average.

The gameplay itself is nice and smooth, however the missions are seemingly too packed with dialogues and scenes of the Call-of-Duty-kind. The AI itself is not noteably better than the one of ArmA, except for they actually follow orders.

I spotted some minor bugs, nothing to freak out about though.

Oh and the soundtrack is crap, but that is a matter of taste of course.

My conclusion: It's a nice new shooter. But it doesn't compete with the ArmA series as it's an absolutely different kind of game. And it is no worthy successor to the Operation Flashpoint all of us loved and praised.

--------------------
Google Google and Google will google Google!

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
wipman
post Aug 20 2009, 19:42
Post #116

Hi, yeah, it don't looks by the videos etc more than shooter far away from the BIS line. Let's C ya

--------------------

Quote Post
wipman
post Aug 27 2009, 08:22
Post #117

Hi, another OFP2 video, this time the devs talk about the sound and a few more things.

-=OFP2 DR Video=-

Let's C ya

--------------------

Quote Post
Toadball
post Aug 27 2009, 11:42
Post #118

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Slightly Mad Scotsman

Group: Former .info Serviceman
Member No.: 1,331

Gotta give them credit, from that vid I'd say they've clearly done a better job on sounds of the mark than BI have.
Admitedly BI have been steadilly improving their sound engineering.

--------------------
Never before in the history of man, was so much buggered up by so few.

Quote Post
D@V£
post Aug 27 2009, 14:20
Post #119

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

I won't deny it looks and sounds nice... but the gameplay section, particularly where the guy's strafing the PLA soldier in a hanger... that just doesn't seem realistic to me... unsure.gif

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Aug 27 2009, 15:25
Post #120

Gentleman Usher of the Coffee Stain
Group Icon

Group: Site Team
Member No.: 19

Found a similiar situation in the pre-retail version as well. I must say I don't like that bit at all.

--------------------
Google Google and Google will google Google!

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2018 - 22:37