Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GAMER SURVEY
Armed Assault Info Forums > English > OT Discussions
Rohok Teyar
Hey guys, no I'm not some advertiser. In fact, I'm just doing a survey for a class newspaper project. I chose to do my article on gaming and how it effects gamers. Please answer the following survey truthfully, it would be a big help to me. I need 20 people to fill this out by friday. You guys will be doing the gaming community a great deed by answering this truthfully. I know it doesn't fit this forum too well, but I love the ARMA community and I thought I may want to survey some people here. Since yah'll are the best and the brightest. =) *Wink* Takes a true, intelligent person to play a tactical shooter.

IF YOU ARE A GAMER, PLEASE ANSWER THIS SURVEY!!!

(1)How many hours a day do you play video games?

A: 0-2

B: 2-4

C: 4-6

D: 6 and up.

(2)What kind of school are you in? ( If applicable )

A: Elementary

B: Middle - Junior High

C: Highschool ( America only I think.)

D: College and/or Uni.

(3)What is your grade point average? ( If applicable, this may be America only. If you do not have these, don't bother with it. )

A: 1.0 and below. ( I don't try hard enough in school. Or I don't understand the material. I'm failing. )

B: 1.1 - 2.0 (I'm just barely passing, I'm lazy or I don't understand the material )

C: 2.1 - 3.0 ( I'm average. )

D: 3.1 - 4.0 ( I'm making outstanding grades. )

(4)Have you ever been to jail, or got into trouble with the law? ( This means did you get caught doing something illegal. )

A: No

B: Yes

C: Yes but I talked my way out of it because I'm a gamer, and all gamers are smart.

(5)What is or was your best subject in school?

A: History (American or European)

B: Math ( Anykind )

C: Language + Literature

D: Sciences ( Anykind, except for social and politcal sciences )

(6)How old are you?

A: 10 or below.

B: 11 - 18

C: 19 - 30

D: 31 and up.

(7) If you are are out of school, and above 25 years old are you...

A: Married, working, gaming, and still able to take care of the house and wife ( Or husband )

B: Single, working, gaming, and fullfilling all of your responsibilities.

C: Single, living with mom, gaming, and taking out the trash regularly.

D: Married, father or mother, and still able to support your family and game at the same time.

(8) How often do you hang out with friends? ( If you hang out with friends sporadicly, just pick weekends. If you get together with people online and hang out with real life friends. Just say weekends. )

A: Weekends.

B: Everyday.

C: We get together online.

D: I don't.

(9)Do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend? ( Currently )

A: Yes.

B: No.

C: Just a friend with benefits.

(10)Do you know people?

A: Yes, of course. I know a lot. ( Between 6 or more people )

B: Just a few good people. ( 3 - 6 )

C: Well one or two, but I really don't talk much. ( 1 or 2 )

D: I'm too shy to even meet people, I have no friends, and I don't have a social life ( 0 - 1 )

Tell me a little bit about why you play video games, what type of video games you play, and anything that relates to your "gamerhood": ( Optional, this is for the interviews so I can put some quotes into my article. You don't have to do this if you don't want to. A short paragraph would be wonderful. )

PLEASE ANSWER HONESTLY
DaRat

D: College and Graduate school.

(3)What is your grade point average? ( If applicable )
Not Applicable

(4)Have you ever been to jail, or got into trouble with the law? ( This means did you get caught doing something illegal. )
B: Yes

(5)What's your best subject?

(6)How old are you?

Not Applicable

(8) How often do you hang out with friends?

(9)Do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend?

(10)Do you know people?
A: Yes, of course. I know a lot.

Tell me a little bit about why you play video games, what type of video games you play, and anything that relates to your "gamerhood":

Gaming is a stress-relieving outlet for me really - If I'm wound up about something like a project at school that needs doing, I'll play a game for half an hour and get back to it (at the moment it's the demo of Unreal Tournament 3 for that kind of thing). What I would consider to be my "Normal" gaming habits obviously include playing ArmA - Like when I'm gaming for fun rather than stress relief... Sounds silly but you might understand biggrin.gif
Don't really know what else to say tongue.gif
D@V£

D: College and Graduate school. (University)

... What?

A: No.

(6)How old are you?
B: 11 - 18 (surely this should be 11-17 and 18-30?)

Not Applicable

B: No. (but looking naughty.gif )

(10)Do you know people?

Tell me a little bit about why you play video games, what type of video games you play, and anything that relates to your "gamerhood": ( Optional, this is for the interviews so I can put some quotes into my article. You don't have to do this if you don't want to. A short paragraph would be wonderful. )

Largely into modification. Have created and inserted personal content into a number of engines (5 come to mind instantly, but I know I've done more). I largely play FPS and stratagy and tend to avoid online gaming. I wouldn't consider myself to be an extreme gamer or modder, but I wouldn't consider myself to be what some people call a "casual" gamer either.
Rohok Teyar
QUOTE(D@V£ @ Oct 16 2007, 16:36) *

D: College and Graduate school. (University)

... What?

A: No.

(6)How old are you?
B: 11 - 18 (surely this should be 11-17 and 18-30?)

Not Applicable

B: No. (but looking naughty.gif )

(10)Do you know people?

Largely into modification. Have created and inserted personal content into a number of engines (5 come to mind instantly, but I know I've done more). I largely play FPS and stratagy and tend to avoid online gaming. I wouldn't consider myself to be an extreme gamer or modder, but I wouldn't consider myself to be what some people call a "casual" gamer either.

Yeah I never thought of it that way... 11-17 is a better, more effective way. Oh by the way- *Fan boy suit* OMFG I LOVE YOUR WORK YOU'RE SO AMAZING YEESSS AUTOGRAAAPPHHHH *Fan boy suit off* If only people in my school knew what the hell Operation Flashpoint and Armed Assault were. They are too simple minded to appreciate such good games ( Not really, they just aren't into PC games. They are more into the consoles). But yeah, thanks you two for the survey answers. I've got about 12 so far from other sites. More surveys completed would be great. If you don't like giving away personal information, you can always PM it to me or leave it anonymous.

Also I want to add that this isn't going to be released publicly unless I someone score some outstanding grade and CNN finds out or something. Haha. Doubtful. But one could hope. My teachers always praise me on my writing though. So who knows. I may become famous because of one little 10th grade article about Video Gaming and how it effects our lives. So far the results are good. The majority of the people surveyed make 2.1 - 3.0 grade point averages, never have gotten in trouble with the law, still have friends, and play 2 - 4 hours a day. It proves that video games do not negatively effect our lives. I have interviewed people over 20 years of age. One was married with kids, and plays 1 - 4 hours a day. It varies. But he chose B for the question. I know him on XBOX live and he's still a responsible adult.

Also if you guys want, I can interview. My interview questions are more specific. I have interviewed two people. Both are good problem solvers, and both are coordinated. Soon I shall start interviewing those who think video games are the devil, and that Counter Strike causes people to shoot up schools. I can't wait to see the results of that. =) Thanks again guys. The ArmA community and OFP community is the greatest community ever!

( Sorry for typos, I'm hyper and tired at the same time. Rare and strange combination, but hey. )
Rellikki
It's a really interesting survey, I'd like to see the final results when it's over. smile.gif
PM'ed you my answers... They must remain secret from public. They could be used against me somehow... maybe to destroy me, who knows. I was once tried to be blown up when I gave away my address to a pizza delivery guy... Anyway:
Good luck!
Flyer

A: 0-2 (I played more in the past)

A: 1.0 and below.

not applicable

(6)How old are you?

I'm under 25

(10)Do you know people?

I play every type of games which are creative and open. For example Sim City (building cities), OFP/ArmA (building missions, telling stories), (played) EVE Online (trading, produce stuff), Rollercoaster Tycoon (building parks), ... (I hope that Spore will be released soon, the videos are great). Furthermore I'm interested in military stuff. And on LAN parties I enjoy playing CS or Halo (!!!) with friends.
BigglesTrevor

D: 0-2 (thought it was weekly)

Nil

not sure

A: History (European)

(6)How old are you?

nil

(10)Do you know people?

Tell me a little bit about why you play video games, what type of video games you play, and anything that relates to your "gamerhood": Stress release and to cure bordom, will play anything, flight-sims to FPS.
pMASTER

C: Highschool (college preparatory high school)

(No comparable system)

(6)How old are you?

Not applicable

A: Weekends.

(10)Do you know people?

I play a variety of video games, mainly shooters and race games - just for fun, together with others, as a kind of personal challenge, for entertainment or simply as an activity like everything else. I have been playing video games since the age of nine and probably won't stop with this in foreseeable future.
Deadeye

A: 0-2 (played more in the past)

A: not applicable

A: Only minor issues, driving with cellphone (bike), no lights (bike), parking... nothing serious !

D: Science

(6)How old are you?

I'm under 25

B: Almost Everyday.

(10)Do you know people?

NeMeSiS

B: Middle - Junior High

(We use a different system, on a scale from 1 to 10 i would say 7, where 10 is the best)

A: 1.0 and below.

B: 1.1 - 2.0

C: 2.1 - 3.0

D: 3.1 - 4.0

A: History (American or European)

(6)How old are you?

(10)Do you know people?

(Some questions are a little vague though, im currently not having a girlfriend but that doesnt mean i never had one, maybe a number would be more precise, same for question 10)

They are interesting questions, if its easy to paste the results in here i would be glad to see them. smile.gif
Rohok Teyar
Well I can't make MAJOR changes, but I can make minor ones. I thank everyone for your help. I'm still looking for a few more surveys. I have about 24 right now. I've got about 5 surveys from people who think kids/adults should limit themselves to video games and who think that video games are bad at cause violence in our society. So far only a few of the gamers I've interviewed or surveyed have gone to jail, or got into trouble with the law. And just about every gamer plays video games to relax, and plays them for their stories and to really use their imagination. So I've kind of discovered that the more you play video games, the less likely you are to get into trouble. And most gamers are very creative, imaginative, and are full of common sense. ( Of course we all know not all gamers have these qualities. )

So far the results are good. When I'm done I'll post the final results.

Also, for the few people I've surveyed that think gamers should be limited on the amount of time they play games, about half of them have gotten in trouble with the law, and they watch TV regularly. Now what's better? Exercising your mind with tactical plans, creative deep story lines, and keeping out of trouble? Or watching Laguna Beach all day while drinking beer, getting arrested and never using your imagination? ( Now I'm not saying watching TV and drinking beer is bad, because it's not like the whole world has never done those things, it's just that we get more out of gaming. In my opinion of course. Who knows. )

I've interviewed about 5 people from XBOX LIVE, and I'd like to interview at least one person from here. So far people interviewed are coordinated with their hands and eyes, they are great problem solvers, and they rarely have violent outbursts ( Outside of Halo 3 and Rainbow Six of course =D ).
BigglesTrevor
it might be better to ask what level of education you have reached (eg. school/college/uni) becuase i think grade point averige in unique to the USA.
Rohok Teyar
QUOTE(BigglesTrevor @ Oct 18 2007, 10:06) *
it might be better to ask what level of education you have reached (eg. school/college/uni) becuase i think grade point averige in unique to the USA.

Yeah it is. But just go ahead and leave it blank. I probably won't be using that information really in my article. Mainly I'm going to be focusing on one's social life, age, howmany hours they play, and if they are over 25 and still responsible while playing lots of games. Also a lot of my information is coming from interviews.
Rohok Teyar
Just in case yah'll were curious, here's the survey for the otherside:

How many hours a day do you think your children should have playing video games?

A: 1 hour.

B: 2 - 3 hours.

C: 4 - 8 hours

D: I don't really care as long as he or she does well in school, and stays out of trouble.

Do you think video games cause children/adults to be more violent?

C: For some, yes.

Do you watch TV everyday after work?

If yes to the above question, how many hours?

A: Only 1 or 2.

B: About 3 to 6.

C: Until I pass out.

Have you ever gotten in trouble with the law?

C: Minor things.

Do you play video games yourself?

A: Of course not!

B: Yup.
Flyer
interesting stuff. I hope you will inform us about final result of your survey. smile.gif
Small-Chicken
1)
2-4 hours

2)
Collage

3)
I'm average

4)
Yes (what does this have to do with games)

5)
Science & History + Politics

6)
11 - 18

7)
Not applicable

8)
Everyday

9)
yes (girl friend)

10)
I know a lot of people

11)

I play games because they are cool and help me pass time. I play raceing games, army games, flying games and sometimes flash games.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.