Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tweaks 4GB RAM + 64bit
Armed Assault Info Forums > English > Armed Assault > Troubleshooting
Pendragon
Hi guys this is my first post here, I relativity new to ArmA and missed the whole OF thing, Me and some of the rest of our clan are really having some fun with ArmA.

The game runs fairly well on my system with the occasional glitch joining and leaving a server but nothing too horrendous. I was wondering if there are any known tweaks to get the most out of 4GB of RAM I have in my PC? Some games have loads of command line stuff others don't, I was wondering if ArmA is one with the tweaks. Most of the in game settings are set to Normal with a 2K view distance. Grass looks like a simple texture not the nice stuff you get when you mess with the settings. (is it just me or does the long grass get in the way when prone?) From what I have read this game is 32bit only, but can I force it to use more of the available RAM? I know I have a relativity slow CPU which is holding things back but cash is tight. Got to save my penny's for a new CPU before ArmA-II comes out...

System spec.
Intel E2160 OC'ed to 2.58
RAM 4GB DDR2 800 OC'ed a little bit
G/Card BFG 8800GT Factory OC 512Mb
MoBo Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4L
HD SATA-II 500GB
OS Vista-U 64bit SP2-Beta
Pendragon
From what I have read in various threads I have made some alterations. Firstly set the "affinity" to one core. Turned off antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering but bumped up everything else to max settings. View distance set to 3k and air set to 1.5k. I'm running at the native resolution of my 17 inch LCD @ 1280x1024_75. From what I have read there is no "Show fps" command for this game. In the past I have use TS overlay to show fps but it doesn't work with Vista and sure as hell not with Vista 64bit! Fraps is OK but drags your frame rate down. I have no idea what fps I'm getting but it "feels" OK.

I had Task Manager open on the other monitor and it was showing that one core was maxing out at 100% while playing. Memory was sitting at 2.6GB. Now as I type this Mem usage is 1.32GB so I can assume that ArmA wants to use 1.3GB of RAM under these conditions.

As for these settings, when I join a server the setting jump back down to low/normal I have to change them once I'm in, is this normal?
STALKERGB
Hiya, welcome to the forums,

as for tweaks to make it all run faster i personally don't know of any (as i can get by without using them if they do exist) i have a similar setup to you except i have a Q6600 @ 3Ghz.

With ARMA the CPU is the biggest bit so you saving for a faster one is a good idea, especially for ARMA 2 although that will be multicore threaded so it will take advantage of the extra CPU's in a machine.

Anyways, with my old computer (read, VERY old) i used to use a couple addons that kept the FPS up, one of the best is Kegetys Lowplants, i couldn't find the link to it but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

For the really high grass, that is how it would be if you were prone in long grass, there is a mod that lwers the grass for you. not sure how this effects MP.
Lower Grass

Dunno what is going on with the MP settings changing :s
Pendragon
Some of the things about this game are a little odd. Memory usage is relatively low considering the size and complexity of the game. I only play online and to be honest the massive complexity of the game is still baffling. I keep on seeing things and thinking "I didn't know you could do that!" The first time I saw something slung under a Black Hawk, the first nuclear bomb going off was astounding... I saw a chemical strike for the first time last night LoL
I find the number of different types of server a little bewildering, I have found one I like and play there each time. It has a "revive" feature I like.

Back to the tech stuff, I have dropped the settings to "High", still no grass when I join the server. From the scroll wheel menu I can pick settings and change the terrain detail and the grass comes back. Well at least with in a few meters, it looks nice and doesn't hit the FPS. I have been on servers where you cant do this, again a little odd.

I know I have come to the party once it's almost all over, with little or no knowledge of how we got to this point. This game has to be the most confusing and complex game I have ever tried to learn how to play. The rewards are great but damn it hard going sometimes. My hope is that putting in all of this work I will have a head start for ArmA-II and then at least see the new mods and stuff coming in and will have some idea of how the story of the game.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.