Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ArmA Has Randomly Decided to Stop Working
Armed Assault Info Forums > English > Armed Assault > Troubleshooting
Blackbuck
Yesterday afternoon I loaded up ArmA all well and good, no problems or anything. I closed it down after I was done with it and went to do other stuff. I come back a few hours later. Tell it to load and it wont load. I removed the addons I installed recently and still nada. It doesn't even run vanilla anymore...

---

Any ideas before I re-install..?
JdB
Tried to reboot?
Blackbuck
Yep. Have done twice.
JdB
Did you change ArmA's settings at all when you last got it to run?
Have you tried performing a disc check?
Did this "other stuff" involve (un)installing anything, or changing system settings at all?

Maybe a graphics setting is set higher than your system can handle (in OFP, I had it happen twice that all settings were maxed out, and I had to replace the cfg file with a backup) if there is an external program for changing the settings (like for OFP), check that. If not, look in the config file to see if the settings appear normal.

Technically it could be a damaged RAM module, which I doubt.
Blackbuck
Changed nothing settings wise in ArmA still on the settings it has been for weeks. I thought that about the RAM but Task Manager says its all there and working.
UKGBlazero
got me on that one but it may be the ram take a stick out and see if it runs ??
pMASTER
QUOTE(Helping Hand @ Apr 13 2009, 16:30) *
Changed nothing settings wise in ArmA still on the settings it has been for weeks. I thought that about the RAM but Task Manager says its all there and working.
Err...if we're talking about the Windows Task Manager, that's no tool that could tell you if your memory has died.
JdB
QUOTE(pMASTER @ Apr 13 2009, 17:40) *
Err...if we're talking about the Windows Task Manager, that's no tool that could tell you if your memory has died.

Yep, it most often doesn't detect the change/failure. Your BIOS (start up screen right after you switch on the PC) screen should show the amount of RAM that is actually working, since it tests it every time the PC is switched on.
Blackbuck
I'll go see what it says on startup.

--- Edit ---

After rebooting it and looking in the BIOS it says there is 2048MB there and to working...
JdB
QUOTE(Helping Hand @ Apr 13 2009, 18:58) *
After rebooting it and looking in the BIOS it says there is 2048MB there and to working...

And the amount supposed to be in the PC is 2GB?
D@V£
Perplexing.... most likely a RAM error, IIRC windows will only tell you what RAM is installed, not if it works, try taking the side off your box and seeing if there's anything (ie: dust) on your RAM sticks. If there is clean it off. Might also be worth cleaning out the RAM ports as well.

Are you encountering any problems with other games? If so, then this is most likely a hardware issue.
Blackbuck
QUOTE(I44_John @ Apr 13 2009, 18:45) *
And the amount supposed to be in the PC is 2GB?

Yeah the system runs with 2GB.

QUOTE(D@V£ @ Apr 13 2009, 18:49) *
Perplexing.... most likely a RAM error, IIRC windows will only tell you what RAM is installed, not if it works, try taking the side off your box and seeing if there's anything (ie: dust) on your RAM sticks. If there is clean it off. Might also be worth cleaning out the RAM ports as well.

Are you encountering any problems with other games? If so, then this is most likely a hardware issue.

Nope not to my knowledge. Unless installing CoD 4 has slowly killed it over a week...
JdB
If the ordinary fixes for this problem have been tried, and didn't solve it, you might want to use Memtest86 to test if your RAM is not damaged.
Linker Split
also, don't remember if ArmA needs it, but you should use

-maxmem=1024 as parameter in your shortcut
Blackbuck
Well a re-install didn't cure it so it must be my ram fecking me over mustn't it?

Gonna open the case and clean everything up etcetera.
Linker Split
QUOTE(Helping Hand @ Apr 14 2009, 12:22) *
Well a re-install didn't cure it so it must be my ram fecking me over mustn't it?

Gonna open the case and clean everything up etcetera.

it's quite strange that it could be a not-cleaned RAM problem... maybe more problematic would be the case your RAM is damaged.

Anyway, please try the -maxmem parameter, and tell me, cause I had this problem once in OFP and the only way was to add it to the shortcut
Blackbuck
-maxmem didn't work either. sad.gif
Linker Split
tongue.gif
Did you use the search button my friend?

Out of memory problem

Also, check this

if you got 2GB of pysichal memory, then -maxmem should be at 1024, -maxmem=1024.
But in your case try 512.

Is your GPU a NVIDIA? or an ATI?
This problem as long as I had a talk with some friends, comes when dedicated RAM for the GPU expired, thus Hypermemory uses the slower RAM, and this is a problem for programs badly optimized.
So, since ArmA is not well optimized, it uses all the GPU RAM, and then also the one from your System, and then OOPS! Out of memory!

Check in your BIOS if you have something which doesn't let the HyperMomory to work...
Blackbuck
Problem Solved

I really don't know what caused this but what ever it was came or resided from my user profile's folder... I removed it after I and Dave were talking about what could be wrong and now it works fine...
ArmA is an odd game...

Closing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.