Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just got the game!
Armed Assault Info Forums > English > Armed Assault > Troubleshooting
mastodon
Hello all! Ijust downloaded ARMA from steam and have a question. Will this video card run arma any good?

EVGA Geforce9400GT 1GB PCIe w/Dual link DVI. I played the game a little with my current radeon x600 but it looks like sh*t. I know this isn't the best card either but surely it should be better than my x600? Thanx for any help.

I also have P4 3.20ghz 1GB ram
rodzandz
QUOTE(mastodon @ May 20 2009, 00:48) *
Hello all! Ijust downloaded ARMA from steam and have a question. Will this video card run arma any good?

EVGA Geforce9400GT 1GB PCIe w/Dual link DVI. I played the game a little with my current radeon x600 but it looks like sh*t. I know this isn't the best card either but surely it should be better than my x600? Thanx for any help.

I also have P4 3.20ghz 1GB ram

Doh!
Your gonna suffer with those specs.
You should have at least 2GB of Ram (in order to get a decent drawing distance and performance)
Your video card (even though it has 1gb of ram) still has a rather weak GPU, so the extra ram is practically just a gimmick.
And to top it off, a single core P4 just won't cut it these days.

You could probably play it at medium settings, but what's really going to affect your gameplay is the draw distance.
If you can't enable a far distance view, you're gonna get shot up really fast from the "expert sniping grunts" this game has. And you won't even see them.

I had to enable a drawing distance of almost 4000 to see some of the guys who shot at me from far away.
Even with a GTX 260 and 2GB DDR3 system Ram, I feel that if I enable more, the framerate is gonna suffer.
Blackbuck
Moving to troubleshooting...
bulkington80
While i kind of agree with rodzandz, my PC is about 20% weaker than yours, so I had to disable useless grass & shadows and ta-da - it now looks and feels like OFP and runs just fine, and no need for 4000m viewdistance, unless you are a pilot wink.gif
Arma ain't no Morrowind - it's not all about pretty visuals.
rodzandz
QUOTE(bulkington80 @ May 22 2009, 13:03) *
While i kind of agree with rodzandz, my PC is about 20% weaker than yours, so I had to disable useless grass & shadows and ta-da - it now looks and feels like OFP and runs just fine, and no need for 4000m viewdistance, unless you are a pilot wink.gif
Arma ain't no Morrowind - it's not all about pretty visuals.

I agree with your comment also, disabling grass and shadows, lowering textures etc. will really bump up the performance.
But you can't ignore how gorgeously realistic this game looks with everything set to high.

I often find myself just admiring the scenery or the quantity of detail in vehicles and weapons!
I know it's not all about the eye candy, but the realistic visuals of this game make it so much more immersive.

It's quite impressive how a game released during late 2006 early 2007 managed to pull off visuals that rival those of many 2009 games.

Can't wait for ArmA 2!! (Which to be frank, I'm kinda worried if my system will be able to handle it with all it's glory.. sweatingbullets.gif )
brandon
QUOTE(rodzandz @ May 25 2009, 18:15) *
It's quite impressive how a game released during late 2006 early 2007 managed to pull off visuals that rival those of many 2009 games.

What impresses me is that a game released in 2003, Lock On, has better graphics as a flight sim than FSX, Microsofts latest flight sim. I play Lock On when I want a real flight simulator and FSX when I want to fly somewhere other than Russia.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.