Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Armedassault.info End of Days Superparty
Armed Assault Info Forums > English > Chatter, Word Games & Jokes
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113
D@V£
Well, you see, in the extended cut of Apocalypse now there's this bit with a bunch of French Colonials, which is about half an hour of everyone sitting around a table being lectured about French Colonialism, for some reason.
ProfTournesol
QUOTE(D@V£ @ Dec 22 2013, 18:57) *
Well, you see, in the extended cut of Apocalypse now there's this bit with a bunch of French Colonials, which is about half an hour of everyone sitting around a table being lectured about French Colonialism, for some reason.

That's the only half an hour i like in the movie yammer.gif Wagner isn't really my kind of music, a little too much "i want to invade France once again" Malajn.gif
JdB
QUOTE(D@V£ @ Dec 22 2013, 18:57) *

Insanity interspersed with moments of normality (the Bunnies, French colonials) to depict the unreal experience of war is the entire point of the movie! You've just undermined the entire purpose of that movie! ohnoo.gif And that part has additional nudity in it, so meh.

Hmm, interesting thing that just happened. The Firefox spell checker doesn't recognize the word "movie" and says it is spelled incorrectly. Now in the previous sentence it also does not recognise the name of the program it was designed for (Firefox) either. To sum up the current situation: The world is likely going to end in 1 - 24 hours. Indigo please report to my bedroom, what the world thinks about our messed up relationship doesn't matter any more my dear hug.gif wub.gif ph34r.gif blues.gif
pMASTER
She asked me to tell you she would come but alas we can't find the keys for her handcuffs anymore.

(Merry feast of love, everybody! biggrin.gif )
D@V£
QUOTE(JdB @ Dec 23 2013, 17:44) *
Insanity interspersed with moments of normality (the Bunnies, French colonials) to depict the unreal experience of war is the entire point of the movie! You've just undermined the entire purpose of that movie! ohnoo.gif And that part has additional nudity in it, so meh.

But it's French Colonial Nudity! It's too artistic to be sexy! How the devil is a man to get aroused while contemplating the duality of the human condition? ohnoo.gif

What's this about the world ending? Every time it happens around this time of year no one tells me until after I've done my Christmas shopping. Goddamn typical...
Wittmann
Ugh. Work sucks. I hate this time of year.

So. Still alive. I think. Whats happening here?

Weather is kind of nice... sometimes;

Had to go look for a missing person on Xmas eve. I'll indicate how it ends; if you go windsurfing, for the love of god wear a personal flotation device.

JdB
QUOTE(Wittmann @ Dec 26 2013, 11:30) *
Had to go look for a missing person on Xmas eve. I'll indicate how it ends; if you go windsurfing, for the love of god wear a personal flotation device.

I'm guessing that dehydration wasn't an issue ... mellow.gif
pMASTER
sad.gif For a reason I cannot name LAN parties aren't anymore the fun they used to be...

@Witty

Thumbs up for you doing your job anyway.
Gotta say one thing... as little as I could imagine a Christmas @ 30°C I'd love to celebrate New Years Eve in summer. Up here everything between January and March is basically wasted time - it's all but exams and bad weather. A meaningless season with almost nothing to look forward to.
Blackbuck
Well. It's that time again. 12 months have passed. 12 whole months. In that time we've lost some great and good people, many before their time yet we who remain continue to cling to this rock hurtling through space at sixty seven thousand miles an hour but for what purpose? I implore you all to take time to reflect on the events of this year and to look to the future for what 2014 will bring. Life is (for the most part) what you make of it so grab it by the tenterhooks and make it into what you desire.
That said I wish all of you, family, friends, associates, colleagues and acquaintances the very best of luck in the coming months and with that I think a quote from a great albeit fictitious man; " We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all people that you used to be". Geronimo!
D@V£
Happy Arbitrary-point-in-the-earth's-orbit-that's-sort-of-close-to-the-perihelion-but-I-doubt-that-Julius-Caeser-knew-that-when-he-decided-which-day-to-start-his-calender Day!

edit: Just found out the Julian Calender starts in March. Happy fake Gregorian new year. Seriously, fuck Gregory whoever the hell he was. I don't even care, he wasn't Caesar, that's what's important. If you aren't Caesar, who the fuck do you think you are to tell me when the year begins?!
pMASTER
Meppy New Yearmas!

drunk.gif

(Well, not so much. In fact I already loathe 2014.)
Wittmann
Happy New Year!

JdB
QUOTE(pMASTER @ Dec 21 2013, 22:34) *
Saw the 2nd part of The Hobbit today. Not quite as overwhelming as the first one (in the strict sense of the word) but still an awesome movie with a fine cast and amazing imagery. Should've been longer, though.

Saw it yesterday. To sum it up: The Two Towers all over again.

In one word: Meh.

Warning: Spoilers

Like The Two Towers it had it's moments, but nothing that really stood out imo besides revealing the reason why Legolas dislikes dwarves and introducing "me little lad". The moment when Sauron reveals himself is cheesy beyond belief. The effect used (zooming in and using a loop) is third rate at best. Sad because the dark nebula used until then looked much more threatening. And what is the point of defeating one of your greatest enemies but leaving them alive like in all Hollywood movies? To adhere to the rest of the genre?

A typical second movie out of a trilogy.

Oh all of that and still despite all of the insane dangers none of the dwarves HAS DIED!!! tiredsmiley.gif

The only reason that Boromir was (allowed to be) killed in the LOTR was because it set up the erratic behaviour of the Steward. If not for that than that part of the book would also have been reversed in the movies. And then there is the most stupid thing ever. The way the entire quest thing is handled. After the ring is destroyed Frodo and Sam are extracted by the eagles. So instead of over 1,5 years of sneaking through mud they could just as easily have assembled their armies in front of the black gates to draw off the orcs and have the eagles insert them right next to the mountain ... sleep.gif
D@V£
I'm pretty sure Boromir died because it was in the books. I'm not sure how Tolkein fans would react to a movie where Boromir survives, then goes on to get involved love triangle with Japanese schoolgirls who are also elves because everyone is a fucking elf. (And if you aren't a fucking elf you're fucking an elf)

(Gerry Anderson's The Hobbit, now that I'd watch)
pMASTER
Tolkien mentions in the Forgotten Tales (?, not sure about the English title right now and too lazy to Google) why he decided against the "aerial assault" (needless to say one of the reasons is there would have been no story to tell). The bottom line is rather obvious itself, though: The Sixth Book tells how Men had to lure the Orc armies out of Mordor in order to even allow Frodo and Sam safe passage and still they needed to disguise themselves as Orcs. It's safe to assume they couldn't have gotten near Mordor with the Eagle's help prior to that point.

By the way, I actually thought Desolace of Smaug to be a pretty awesome movie (and I loved The Two Towers especially in the special extended cut). Just not as good as the An Unexpected Journey.
What I dislike about them both is that even Tolkien's universe now has to suffer from the 3D sickness. Just one example, if you watched the latest movie John you'll know what I mean: bees. My advice would be: Invest more time into story and character development and less in scenes obviously only included for their looks.

A bunch of dwarves are going to die by the way (whereas no leads died in The Lord of the Rings!).

Who the flying fark is Gerry Anderson? And no, I'm not going to Google it.
D@V£
QUOTE(pMASTER @ Jan 6 2014, 02:06) *
Who the flying fark is Gerry Anderson? And no, I'm not going to Google it.

Well, that's just being wilfully ignorant. How politically minded of you!
pMASTER
No. I'm just being old-fashioned. If this was a vis a vis discussion would you expect me to hit the intarwebs to google a name instead of simply replying to my question?
D@V£
I have very strong opinions on that sort of thing.

Of course, really, you're not some kind of horrific reactionary who deserves to choke on the primordial soup you've chosen to submerge yourself in, you're just a lazy bastard looking for an excuse, so I forgive you tongue.gif
pMASTER
The fun part is I couldn't be bothered to watch the linked footage either — so I... err... Googled the name.
D@V£
So, let me get this straight, you spent a whole day demanding someone explain something because you didn't want to google it then when they finally did provide an explanation, rather than watching a minute-long video you instead decided to do what you initially refused to do and google it?

I rarely get to say this twice in one day: How politically minded of you!
pMASTER
All true save for one part: I didn't spend a whole day demanding anything. More like 30 seconds (the very same it took to post something). In other words, I saved 30 seconds by not watching your minute-long video. Now if that's no feat to your eyes I can't even imagine what'd please them.
D@V£
I would believe you, but I can't help but imagine you're the sort of person who spends long hours weaving a complex code, known as "pLoam", into all your posts that simply translates to "wasted ur decodin time lol".

And I don't mean something stupid like a caesar cipher of every capitalized letter, either, we're talking "enigma code derivative secretly embedded into the page's HTML by an sql exploit, with a 4gb encryption key" here.
pMASTER
I'm the architect. mellow.gif My cover has been blown and you shall be erased from the Matrix in 3... 2... 1...

@John: Do you happen to know the font used on Dutch licence plates?
JdB
QUOTE(pMASTER @ Jan 7 2014, 22:25) *
@John: Do you happen to know the font used on Dutch licence plates?

The official one is named "ANWB-font". It's a font designed exclusively for the license plates and not publically available so naturally someone has copied the design and put it online ...

http://www.dafont.com/kenteken.font
pMASTER
Awesome, thank you!
Wittmann
Tampering with caravans?
pMASTER
Kudos to whoever re-did the title.
Wittmann
Indeed.

So who do I see if I want something other than a licence plate?

#notacop
pMASTER
You remember our inn closed down? We still have those 1000 part hooker assembly kits gathering dust in the storeroom behind the counter. I'd offer you a bunch of VHS players instead but these days no one likes those anymore and I don't suppose you will. Anything else that fell from the back of a lorry back in the day?

#nocopneither
D@V£
VHS? Pshaw. Betamax is where it's at.
Wittmann
Betamax cost's extra.

Ahhh yes, the Inn. I'll take the leftover whiskey.
pMASTER
Sometimes I discover the weirdest shit while googling for a sequence of words in order to check my grammar. My God. Who'd have thought that he would have had been glad could lead to diarrhea eating parakeets.
D@V£
...I don't what's weirder, that, or that you use google searches to check your grammer unsure.gif
pMASTER
I don't use it to "check" my grammar, every now and again I merely want to see if the construction I intend to use is common (and therefore likely to be correct, hur hur hur).
Having said that, my money is on the parakeet (poor animal).
D@V£
Surely you'd want to use less common grammatical archetypes to ensure that, in the event of you being replaced by an alien duplicate, a clone, a robot or some other manner of imposter, we'd instantly know it's not you?
pMASTER
You ask much of me. I mean, it already is nearly impossible to tell whether a frequently used expression is correct grammar or not. I'm no lemming. mellow.gif 800k hits are no guarantee when what else they speak of is diarrhea eating parakeets.
JdB
QUOTE(pMASTER @ Jan 19 2014, 23:58) *
I don't use it to "check" my grammar, every now and again I merely want to see if the construction I intend to use is common (and therefore likely to be correct, hur hur hur).

1) Even if something is widely used/common on the internet it says absolutely nothing about the validity of the [fill in appropriate subject].

2) For instance what I just claimed is commonly said on the internet, but there is absolutely no proof for any of it and it might be entirely invalid or even a plain old lie boppin2.gif

@D@V£: of course we'd know if he had been replaced. The second he starts showing signs of a sense of humour we'll know because as indeed we all know Germans have no sense of humour * **
That and they like to invade other countries as a hobby and build rather rudimentary bathing facilities for minorities there * **

* See sentence 1).
** See sentence 2).

A complete void of risk of legal action because of a mere pinch of pure genious on my part as my defence. Blame it all on the internet biggrin.gif
pMASTER
QUOTE(JdB @ Jan 20 2014, 03:06) *
1) Even if something is widely used/common on the internet it says absolutely nothing about the validity of the [fill in appropriate subject].

2) For instance what I just claimed is commonly said on the internet, but there is absolutely no proof for any of it and it might be entirely invalid or even a plain old lie boppin2.gif
Hence the sarcastic "hur hur hur". Hey, what's going on? Might you secretly be of German descent because usually only Germans fail so hard at detecting sarcasm? tongue.gif
D@V£
QUOTE(pMASTER @ Jan 20 2014, 03:55) *
Might you secretly be of German descent because usually only Germans fail so hard at detecting sarcasm? tongue.gif

As a part of anglosphere, and therefore a good authority on all things, I'm pretty sure the Dutch are just Germans in denial.

You know, like Austria.

Think about it - Dutch, Deutsch, not too dissimilar sounding, no?
pMASTER
Just now a thunderstorm went through (on January 26!) and brought heavy snow along so each lightning turned the whole world as bright as day. A gorgeous sight.
D@V£
Hmm... they've gone quiet again...
1: ALL, REPORT STATUS
pMASTER
2: REPEAT?
D@V£
QUOTE(pMASTER @ Jan 27 2014, 17:33) *
2: REPEAT?

1: 2, REPORT STATUS
pMASTER
2: 12 O'CLOCK, ENEMY BEE EHM PEE, 500.
2: LEAN BACK AND ENJOY THE FIREWORKS.
2: BEE EHM PEE IS HISTORY.
2: OH NO, 3 IS DOWN.
2: OH NO, 4 IS DOWN.
2: OH NO, 5 IS DOWN.
2: OH NO, 6 IS DOWN.
2: OH NO, 7 IS DOWN.
2: OH NO, 8 IS DOWN.
2: OH NO, 9 IS DOWN.
2: OH NO, 10 IS DOWN.
2: OH NO, 11 IS DOWN.
2: OH NO, 12 IS DOWN.
2: WHERE ARE YOU?
2: OH NO, 1 IS DOWN.
2: ALL, THIS IS 2. TAKING COMMAND. I SAY AGAIN: THIS IS 2, TAKING COMMAND. OUT.
Wittmann
3: WHERE ARE YOU?
pMASTER
2: 3, PLAY DEAD!
Wittmann
3: ROGER!
pMASTER
2: 3, CEASE PLAYING DEAD.
2: 3, MOVE TO ALPHA BRAVO 12.
2: ON A SECOND THOUGHT, DON'T. THERE'D BE A BRIDGE IN YOUR WAY. US BOTS CANNOT COPE WITH BRIDGES.
Wittmann
3: ROGER!
3: 2, UNABLE.
3: 2, I'M STUCK IN DAVLE. I MAY TRY TO RAISE A FAMILY HERE. LIPANY IS OUT OF MY REACH. AND I CAN'T SWIM.
pMASTER
2: ALL, THIS IS 2. DEFECTING TO EAST.
2: VICTORY IS OURS, COMRADES. THE IMPERIALIST DOG WILL NEVER REACH LIPANY.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.