Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modeling/Texturing Problems Thread
Armed Assault Info Forums > English > Armed Assault > Addons - Work in progress
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
GIJOE94
Edit by Deadeye :

If you need advise in o2 modeling or texturing ask your question here.

Hi evrybody, now Jukka has done the textures for the sherman, but he can't apply them to the modle it's self.Could anyone who knows how to apply textures to a modle please post here with the how to do it.Think about it people, the sooner this is done, the sooner you get an M4A1 sherman tank!
Rellikki
It's actually the model maker's job. Well, kinda... He needs to do a mapping of the model, then he'll send it to the texturer who then starts creating the texture with the help of the mapping.

Ps: I think you should release everything at the same time, not single addons. It's just messy that way.
Jukka
Thanks for the help Rellikki.

vilas
don't forget it is mine Sherman addon you talk about, you asked me to send it to you "just to look at", but mesh is made by Aloisi, who sent me this mesh in 3ds, i made LODS,
texture you can do using blueprints / view from one side, view frm top, hatches, wheels, details, engne cover , rear side and etc.
you have to :
install oxygen properly
than you select fac in oxygen and type B from keyboard and texture is set on faces

dear Relliki , not always wink.gif

first i do texture from blueprints, than i model mesh on it, if there are details missing like cover, barrel, screw - i make detail on textures
they get M4 Sherman mesh, because something happened to Aloisi and contact with him is no longer
so if they will do side views, it is easy to texture it using oxygen, because i talk about using free/legal, of cours in MAX there is "model to texture" or like that which makes from mesh created texture, but if we work in oxygen, we have no such possibility
GIJOE94
Thanks for your help folks!
d@nte
@Vilas, no no no no no, you can do like that. you can't use tons of textures in arma. you need to make an uvmapping of the tank.

- hull
- turret
- the other parts

if you don't make an uvmapping the textures will be streched, or some parts won't fit perfectly the model. and on a blueprint, you can't see the hidden faces.

Relikki was right
Faust
I have made texture for my Opel Blitz. It is UV mapping and coordinates of texture are from 3DsMAX. When i import this model in Oxygen will i lose this coordinates or not? cuz i dont know remap it in oxygen!! pls help helpsos.gif

Deadeye
Well IIRC you HAVE to remap the model in o2. There is no way around.

I already suggested Joe to work through the brsseb o2 tutorials.
GIJOE94
Faust you are the best! Glad to have you in our team.Them textures are loverly!
Deadeye
Absolutely misplaced comment GIJOE94. Faust posted here because he was asking for help in modeling/texturing. If you want to criticize his work for the ArmA 1943 Mod, do it in the dedicated ArmA 1943 thread in the Mod section. You simply can't hijack any thread for your purpose dude rolleyes.gif .
Faust
QUOTE(Deadeye @ Jul 3 2007, 21:28) *
Well IIRC you HAVE to remap the model in o2. There is no way around.
I already suggested Joe to work through the brsseb o2 tutorials.

i was searching and i have found this:
you can use 3ds amx to import models and textures into O2, as i have done it before (Just not yet for ArmA).

- You export the model (dont rig it or anything) into a .3ds file, and save the texture files as .TGA's

- You then import the model into O2 (there is an import button somewhere), it will enter O2 as an untextured model.

- you then have to do some funny trick i can never remember, where you select all the faces on the model, and change it so they look for the texture files. This involves changing the name of the texture, the file location etc.

- That should have the textures correctly applied, the model will look just like it did in 3ds max, just a little bit shittier (in Flashpoint atleast) but its all good fun!

Dont forget to make LOD's, none of the flashpoints generate them on the fly, and also dont forget that ArmA uses Normal and Specular mapping!

Guy

So he tells that it is possible to import model with texture. So where is true?? blink.gif
d@nte
i use also 3dsmax. yes in o2, the uvmapping will be the same that in 3dsmax. you just need to export (in 3dsmax) your model in the .3ds file and when you are in oxygen, you just need to import your 3ds file. it's all. but if you want a better look for your textures, open the TGA in paatool and save them again in paa or pac.

btw when you import your model in oxygen, don't forget to import it (and the textures) in the good folder, with the final name.

an example from one of my job:

D:\ofpedit\thyr_wtk\Atext\turret.pac

oops i have forgotten:

when your model is in oxygen, select all the faces, and do F5 smile.gif (for faces\recalculate normal)
GIJOE94
Hi folks, I need help because I have the textures for the Opel Blitz, but I don't know how to add them, can anyone help?
d@nte
could you explain a little bit? the blitz has an uvmapping?
JdB
QUOTE(d@nte @ Jul 8 2007, 00:59) *
could you explain a little bit? the blitz has an uvmapping?

When looking at the screenshots with normal maps applied, you would get the idea that it does.

If so, then all you need to do is make sure that the texturepath(s) in the model-file is/are pointing towards the texture(s).
Faust
if you want a better look for your textures, open the TGA in paatool and save them again in paa or pac

i open TGA in TexView2 and save as paa , is is allright too? or paa tool is better?

when your model is in oxygen, select all the faces, and do F5 smile.gif (for faces\recalculate normal)

why? what does it do?

JdB
After you've applied sharp and smooth faces, you select the entire model and press F5, this recalculates the lightning on all faces, most of the times getting rid of incorrect lightning.

This might not be necessary in ArmA anymore (if modelled properly), but since we know next to nothing about the new tools...
d@nte
this is only if you import a model in o2 (i suppose). because i do the the sharp/smooth edges already in an other 3d modeller but o2 don't keep that. (o2 is a crap, this is also one of the reasons why i stopped my project. oxygen is a waste of time). i hope for you that the new one will be better. happy.gif
Faust
vilas helped me with opel blitz and its allready driveable in Arma, but textures are not working correctly, in any angles truck is very dark and normal map is not working and in another angle truck is very brighten and normal map is OK, vilas told me that i have to create _SMDI map, its specular map, isnt it? is problem in this map? cuz i think that dirty car shouldnt have specular map which reflect light or yes? yammer.gif
d@nte
yeah you need a specular map. it's a greyscale texture. white, bright gray for the luminous faces, black for the others.

take a look at this tut. that shows how the color map, the specular map and a bump map work together. (i know in Arma this is a normal map, but a bump map gives a similar effect. this is just an example.)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=46&t=373024
Faust
thx d@nte
for example, canvas in specular map should be perfect black and glass white?
d@nte
you mean for a uniform? if yes. personally i would use black for the canvas,

when you make this make, you must imagine, how the sunlight would reflect itself on the object. wink.gif
GIJOE94
Hi folks, I have a su-29 addon that has no cockpit. Can some one make it?
DaRat
Who's addon is it?
GIJOE94
CheyenneAH56 made it for me and said I could release it and do anything with it. He never finnished it though, thats why I need a cockpit for it so I can release it.
Deadeye
ok ok, so you want someone else to do the rest modeling + texturing for this plane and then release it with your name?

erm... ok.
DaRat
QUOTE(Deadeye @ Jul 16 2007, 18:45) *
ok ok, so you want someone else to do the rest modeling + texturing for this plane and then release it with your name?

erm... ok.

+1

If you aren't capable of doing it yourself, you should pass the addon on to someone who can sleep.gif
GIJOE94
Thats what I'm trying to do. I only need some one to help me finnish it off for a red bull air race mission.
JdB
QUOTE(Deadeye @ Jul 16 2007, 19:45) *

erm... ok.

Besides that obvious mentality error, this is no place for requests. The problem is not that the person placing the request is having problems with making, editing or finishing the addon, the problem is that he doesn't want to invest time to learn skills, but does want to make addons, and ultimately a mod, and needs others to do pretty much everything for him.

999 out of 1000 requests never get made, simply because the person requesting it shows no innitiative what so ever himself besides begging others to make him stuff, and to whine when no one makes it for him, or in a time-frame that he thinks is appropriate.

Edit: Can we please have a dedicated request thread, so that I can ignore it? happy.gif
Deadeye
Agreed smile.gif --> Don't click JdB otherwise ignoring the addon request topic didn't work at all <-- request addon here !
CheyenneAH56
How to use the MatEditor by BIS ?

We need to know how to make reflexion material for the models.

Thx
Blackbuck
Mat Editor? is it included in o2? could you give me a link?

Oh and please re-ask this thread over in the Addon WIP section smile.gif

Closing this one

Deadeye said ask in the thread not make a new one mellow.gif

Also you don't need to put the title in large writing people can read it in normal writing.
Deadeye
My comment on the closed topic was kinda misleading... sry for that

Merged the topics wink.gif

Oh and as HH said no real need to shout tongue.gif
Linker Split
I'm making a tutorial about the material editor wink.gif
Faust
hi, can somebody tell me for what is Shadow volume LOD? thx
d@nte
do you have an example?

hum!! i suppose that must be a special lod which with the specular and the normal map are directly used by the engine (i mean the lighting).

ask your question in the BIS forum, maybe someone will be able to help you.

sorry smile.gif
Linker Split
Shadow Volume is used to create the Shadow of the particular LOD. Pretty useful to define good shadows for the first LODS.
If you make a model, you'll use for example 5 LODS:

Now, you can add ShadowVolume to all these LODS adding values that you used to define the normal LODS.
So ShadowVolume1.000
ShadowVolume3.000
ShadowVolume20.000
ShadowVolume50.000

Now see this trick: if the first LOD (1.000) has less than 512 polys, it's not recommended that you add the ShadowVolume for it. It will automatically generated by the engine.

all the models you make in the ShadowVolume LOD must be very simple, and must not exeed the number of 512 polys. wink.gif
Synide
QUOTE(Linker Split @ Sep 8 2007, 22:46) *
Now, you can add ShadowVolume to all these LODS adding values that you used to define the normal LODS.
So ShadowVolume1.000
ShadowVolume3.000
ShadowVolume20.000
ShadowVolume50.000

The BIS example models do not seem to have 'matching' ShadowVolume LODs for the equivalent Resolution LODs.

QUOTE(Linker Split @ Sep 8 2007, 22:46) *
...and must not exeed the number of 512 polys. wink.gif

Seems a bit strange that in the BIS example models Shadow Volume 0.0 (10000) LOD seem to have more than 512 poly's.
  • The BIBMP2.p3d Shadow Volume 0.0 (10,000) has 1730 poly's & the Shadow Volume 10.0 (10010) has 668 poly's.
  • The BISoldier.p3d Shadow Volume 0.0 (10,000) has 2123 poly's.
  • The BIHummer.p3d Shadow Volume 0.0 (10,000) has 1138 poly's & the Shadow Volume 10.0 (10010) has 498 poly's (less than 512).
  • The BIA10.p3d Shadow Volume 0.0 (10,000) has 2346 poly's & the Shadow Volume 10.0 (10010) has 508 poly's (less than 512).
  • The BIM16.p3d Shadow Volume 0.0 (10,000) has 546 poly's & the Shadow Volume 10.0 (10010) has 54 poly's (less than 512).
  • The BIWatertower.p3d Shadow Volume 0.0 (10,000) has 1576 poly's & the Shadow Volume 10.0 (10010) has 140 poly's (less than 512).

And most Game content p3d's seem to have many more poly's than 512 in the Shadow LODs ...

Linker Split
yeah Bi models doesn't have a shadow LOD for every RES LOD... they simply use 2 shadow LODS for the whole model...
about the 512 polys... yeah you are right! boppin2.gif I'll study it!
Synide
QUOTE(Linker Split @ Sep 12 2007, 10:59) *
yeah Bi models doesn't have a shadow LOD for every RES LOD... they simply use 2 shadow LODS for the whole model...
about the 512 polys... yeah you are right! boppin2.gif I'll study it!

actually, sometimes 1 Shadow LOD, 2 or 3 or 4... or None, but no more than 4.

Also, check this thread in BIS Forums (post from Armoured Sheep)...
Bracken
I'm abit confused about making a cargonet/rope bit and wondered if anyone could please quickly explain how its done. What i'm trying to do, is create it like in this picture. Do I make it kind of a sheet from a single sided plan, like I tryed here(with alpa channel texture?). Or do I model it in long cylinder bits, of a rope?
If the first method is correct, how does a double sided face work in arma? Can I get the texture and face/normal to show up on both sides?
Still learning all this, so thanks for any help. helpsos.gif
Linker Split
QUOTE(Bracken @ Sep 13 2007, 08:47) *
I'm abit confused about making a cargonet/rope bit and wondered if anyone could please quickly explain how its done. What i'm trying to do, is create it like in this picture. Do I make it kind of a sheet from a single sided plan, like I tryed here(with alpa channel texture?). Or do I model it in long cylinder bits, of a rope?
If the first method is correct, how does a double sided face work in arma? Can I get the texture and face/normal to show up on both sides?
Still learning all this, so thanks for any help. helpsos.gif

To make a camonet, you can use two ways:

1)create a square, and split it in about 100 little squares like in the image below:

then you can move different points to have the best in your opinion:

the second way:
2) you can make a square, then another one in its center, and so on:

then move the points:

In any case, you must not model the ropes in long cylinder bits... it will slow down the game.
the only way is to create a flat plan wink.gif like I suggested you.
Bracken
Thank you very much for the help Linker Split.
So I guess that means the texture will show on both sides of the plane in arma? Or do I need to do something to it, to make it work like that?
Linker Split
when you select 4 points, you should hit 2 times F6 to create two faces, so you can see the net on both sides.
on the contrary, if you hit only one time F6 while having selected 4 points, you will have only one face! So open your eyes wink.gif
Bracken
Ok, thank you again for your help Linker Split. Sorry if the question seemed stupid, I didn't actually think that you could create two faces in the same space, as when you try it in the modeling program I use, you get this error.

But thanks again for all your help, will search longer next time.
d@nte
well, personally i would use an alpha channel to create the camonet. this is the easy way.

- less faces on a model (even with a normal map) = good performance wink.gif

which program do you use? that seems to be houdini or Silo unsure.gif

Bracken
It's actually Blender happy.gif . Thanks for the tips also.
Linker Split
QUOTE(d@nte @ Sep 22 2007, 04:14) *
well, personally i would use an alpha channel to create the camonet. this is the easy way.

- less faces on a model (even with a normal map) = good performance wink.gif

which program do you use? that seems to be houdini or Silo unsure.gif

obviously yes smile.gif
But you should also have the camonet fluid to be modelled wink.gif so you should make all those planes...
d@nte
QUOTE(Bracken @ Sep 22 2007, 09:27) *
It's actually Blender happy.gif . Thanks for the tips also.

oh! ok. i tried it 1 year ago. gasp, this program is too strange for me, i mean the viewport. sweatingbullets.gif

But you should also have the camonet fluid to be modelled wink.gif so you should make all those planes...

yeah, and that should be easier with blender than with the crap oxygen. blues.gif biggrin.gif
Linker Split
QUOTE(d@nte @ Sep 22 2007, 12:22) *
oh! ok. i tried it 1 year ago. gasp, this program is too strange for me, i mean the viewport. sweatingbullets.gif
yeah, and that should be easier with blender than with the crap oxygen. blues.gif biggrin.gif

agree with you m8 ph34r.gif
this program still got some sicret misteries for me ph34r.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.