IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules ArmedAssault.info Forum Rules

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Things you would like to see in Arma 2., My opinion. Add yours.
Alphanumeric
post Apr 9 2009, 09:21
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,509

I have been playing arma for awhile now that I have a system that can run it. lol. if they could add anything in AmrA 2 what would it be?

For me it would have to be a greatly simplified aircraft control, and slightly different AI. oh and less accurate weapons too.

1) add a greatly simplified aircraft control. what we currently have is a nightmare. just a simple pitch yaw left right up down. this to me is more about game enjoyment than simulation. yes any type of aircraft is a complex machine that takes hundreds of hours to train to use well and even more so for military craft. but for the game, just make it as simple as possible.

2) the AI. I have played OFP and ArmA quite extensively and my gripe about the AI and I'm sure many of you will echo it is it's deadliest accuracy in ANY weather condition. even at night when there is a full blown storm going on and even though you don't give them any night vision they still somehow manage to track and shoot you. Also they should have a Different type of AI. What I mean by that is there should be a sort of mood/skill level. what i mean by mood is an AI should be able to simulate boredom, fear anger etc. for instance you could have a scenario where you have a very bored guard force that isn't paying attention to what it's supposed to be doing. thus making it easier to sneak by them or get close for a silenced pistol kill etc. as for the skill level, there have been many documented instanced where an enemy force has infiltrated a supposedly secure base and suddenly soldiers are shooting at other soldiers or are firing blindly into the distance because no one knows whats going on. As for fear a less experienced group of soldiers would be more likely to react in a panicky mode if they were ambushed while on patrol again firing randomly around them as they would not know where the attack was coming from. also I have heard that the AI in the next one will have better AI response to combat. in the original OFP it was kind of embarrassing how easy it was to snipe a group of solders from afar and all they would do was lay there and basically wait to get shot.

3) weapon accuracy. We all know the MOA grouping of various weapons from real world testing. we know that the m-16 series of weapons are far more accurate than the Ak series at greater distances. and that the ak has greater penetrating power than the m-16 etc. For me this is more of a game enjoyment issue. I personally have no problem with having enemy AI who are far less accurate than there current ones. and again I would have no problem with the Player ONLY have a slightly more accurate weapon. accuracy levels to me are something that should be changable in game's option menu or VIA the editor. either by groupings, sides or individual units. I have gone up against enemy units from the lowest to highest experience settings and truth be told have found very little difference between the two. This way a person could get the game play they want. want to go up against guys with incredible skill there you go. want to go up against guys who can't hit the broad side of a barn? there you go.

4)The physics. Wow. They really should try to get with the agea physics people to try and iron out the physics of the game. watching a tank bounce over another tank just totally ruins the illusion of being in a real world situation.

5) Voice acting. I LOVED the OFP FFUR SLX mod where they took the phrases from the game and were able to apend that to the actual units. it sounds much more better Than. The. Choppy. Talking. They. Have. In. Arma. Right. Now.

Anyways those are my suggestions. what would yours be?

Quote Post
D@V£
post Apr 9 2009, 12:40
Post #2

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 155

I can't agree with the physics aspect. The physics are perfectly fine. Agea and Havoc would play hell with the engine, the last thing I want to see is object bouncing around horrendiously half way through walls like they do in stuff like HL2 ohnoo.gif

Red Faction had extremely nice physics. We need something like that really!

Other points I agree with though.

The choppy talking about the easily be remedied by adding in phrases like "um" and "er" between words.

Stuff I'd like to see:

1. OPFOR radio voices sounding more Foreign! ArmA had voices that would have been very good for RACS and SLA troops, but instead they all sounded American. FDF had very good Finnish Radio voices, which worked perfectly fine. Hecks, even just an accent like in Red Hammer would be a huge improvement.

2. Better simulations of optics. Especially stuff like IR sights on vehicles.

3. Customizable weapons. Weaver rails can fit all manner of stuff on them. What if I want to fit a sight on the bottom of the Barrel!? What if I want a carry handle on an Antimaterial rifle?

4. Flame throwers and Molotovs. Heck, it's unlikely the other stuff will be in there, so why not ask for something unreasonable yet awesome?

--------------------
The Rules - Nothing too complicated, follow these and we'll have no problems.
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Site Issues Thread - Complain about site issues here. We might even fix them!
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

QUOTE(Major Mike Shearer)
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
Blackbuck
post Apr 9 2009, 15:45
Post #3

ArmA.info Sarcasm Society's Appointed Olivia Wilde Stalker
Group Icon

Member No.: 113

+1 @ the Red Faction engine ideas. I used to make tunnels with C4 =D

Also +1 for
  • Proper Eastern European voice actors speaking in native languages for OPFOR.
  • Proper working IR and NV sights.
  • Customizable weapons +100³³ It makes no sense for addon makers to make millions of models for a weapon when there could just be attachments (A la Brigade E5) I could want to convert a SCAR CQC into an SV and vice versa etcetera.

---
  • Vehicle interiors. I miss the interiors we had in OFP, I dislike driving everywhere in optic view whilst in tanks.
  • Customizable loadouts for the aircraft a la Franzes F/A-18E / Fs
  • Better inventory system that is more flexible than the 12 + 8 slots we have now.
  • Capability to carry a backpack and LAW or more than one primary weapon..

--------------------

--------------------
Heed my words or risk being beaten with a stick then fed to my associate D@V£
The Rules - Most places have rules, these are ours Read them!
Moderation Feedback Thread - Let everyone know how much you don't like D@V£
--------------------

Quote Post
SaS TrooP
post Apr 9 2009, 15:57
Post #4

N00b always & everywhere

Member No.: 1,589

I would be happy to see more "dynamic" on battlefield. No no, I don't mean sh*t like Call of Duty (simulation of action movie). I mean eg. tanks and infantry during battles get more and more dirty. Better building destruction. Yes, realistic voices and shouts like "grenade" or "get down" etc.
And, as Helping Hand said, would be great to have backpack and LAWs or additional ammo in it etc.

Quote Post
D@V£
post Apr 9 2009, 16:38
Post #5

Group Icon

Custom loadouts for aircraft has been possible without scripting since OFP, using the method missiles disappear once launched (I don't think you even need to replace the p3ds, it's done with proxies)... strangely hasn't been implemented... think it might be possible with vehicles in the car and tank classes in ArmA1 as well... never checked.

--------------------
Moderation Feedback Thread - Tell everyone how much you hate me love me secretly fear that Mark is watching you while you sleep. secretly wish that Mark is watching you while you sleep.
Community Chatter Thread - Furthest Mud-sling gets a free subscription to "JdB Monthly".

We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
QUOTE(Brace Belden)
A machine gun is like a woman, I don’t understand it, I’m afraid of it, and one day I’ll accidentally be killed by one.

Quote Post
Linker Split
post Apr 9 2009, 17:20
Post #6

literally the BIG BOSS of OFP
Group Icon

Group: Addon Maker
Member No.: 66

damn what i would like to see is soldiers, people not the same height tall.

Also, since I'm a really really fan of Crysis and Far Cry 2, I would like to see a Phsysics like in these games, where you can blow up everything tongue.gif

--------------------
Visit my blog about Poker at Blogspot.com

-->TUTORIAL ON HOW TO MAKE NORMAL MAPPING IN ARMA!<--
-->MATERIAL EDITOR TUTORIAL!<--
-->DOWNLOAD MY HDT ISLAND!<--
judgement = hypocritical and slightly deluded

Quote Post
SaS TrooP
post Apr 9 2009, 17:53
Post #7

N00b always & everywhere

Member No.: 1,589

THere is no computer in the world that can handle this kind of physics for so much worlds!

Quote Post
wipman
post Apr 9 2009, 18:06
Post #8

Member No.: 476

Hi, one thing that i would like to see, it's in game mission briefings, scripted ones with characters giving
the speech to the squad about the mission orders, showing us the map and pointing the start point, the
routes (the given one and the alternative ones) to the objectives in the way of showing up picture and
a explain of the available resources, like CAS, FARP, Backup points where get some kind of material
help if everything else fails etc; and also receive a speech of the best weapons and/or vehicles to make
the mission, beign it given by the officer in charge or the weapons master; having to talk with him to get
permission to take the weapons from the company armoury and then going out to the motor park and
sign the bill of what vehicles we gonna take and who gonna go in the mission. All this scripted, with anims
on each speech, with showing up (scripted) pictures of each thing (maps, objectives etc) and having to
go each company's building, the maps/briefing room, weaponry room etc. That will be pimp.
Other things that i would like to see...? weapons:

M1A SOCOM:

M1A SOCOM-II:

Kimber M1911 TRP(SD).

Wilson Combat CQB:

SIG-P226 T:

Pecheneg:

And well, many more weapons; like for example G3A1, G3A4K, H&K91, some revolvers too, a .32
or a .38 and a .38SPC and some VZ-68 Skorpion, Gsh-18s and maybe a Claridge Hi-Tech 9x19 or
in .40 S&W or even more funny; in 10mm, to pierce through any Level IIIA BP cop vest. That's just
some of the things that i will like to see in the ArmA2, like MH-53J Pave LowIII, CH-46E Seaknight
and an AV-8BII+ with x6 Maverics some rockets and a pair of Aim-9L, also some MI-28N. Let's C ya

--------------------

Quote Post
Focha
post Apr 9 2009, 18:58
Post #9

Member No.: 909

Because I am used to play ACE mod, I would like to see all those features in ArmA II but this time optimized. I already saw some like grab a friend that was shot down, or helping him when is down like medical attention and stuff like that. Basically I would like to see ACE features in ArmA II but with a lot more new stuff like you guys said above. But I guess for that they would have to build a new engine. One of the features I liked on Far Cry 2 (although it's not a sim game) was the fact that weapons jammed and get rusty, although they get rust to fast... LOL. Explosions and that stuff it's a bit hollywood alike.

Best regards.

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Apr 9 2009, 22:43
Post #10

Gentleman Usher of the Coffee Stain
Group Icon

Group: Site Team
Member No.: 19

Both ArmA and OFP are still played because of the ability to customize the game with mods. I wonder why BIS didn't take a look to their own forums and checked out the addons that have been published there. I for one don't need a RPG'esque campaign. I must admit that the end of QG's Merc campaign with all the weapon dealer stuff and so annoyed me.
If they need to implement aspects of role play games I'd rather have them do so with the characters. For example I'd like to have a fully customizeable character, being randomly equipped from his headgear to his weapons down to his boots. RPG-aspects and realism? Go ahead, but then do implement realism. I want to have a character that needs to rest, eat, maybe even sleep and who needs to conduct some typical drills such as weapon cleansing. Oh and whilst they're at it they could introduce situations where your weapons jam. I'd also wish to see more of the background stuff we already know from OFP's ECP mod for example, such as unrelated radio communication in the back and all the little details that suck you into the atmosphere of a combat scenario.

Also I'd wanna have the OFP-like voice acting back. These staccato radio reports made up from an inventory of sentence snatches don't sound like the real thing.

I can't agree with the things that have been said about the accuracy of the AI. For sure they're making insane hits sometimes. Then again I can remember situations where an entire fireteam zeroed in on me and I dodged all of their bullets.

--------------------
Google Google and Google will google Google!

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
Alphanumeric
post Apr 11 2009, 02:56
Post #11

Member No.: 5,509

QUOTE(pMASTER @ Apr 9 2009, 15:43) *
I can't agree with the things that have been said about the accuracy of the AI. For sure they're making insane hits sometimes. Then again I can remember situations where an entire fireteam zeroed in on me and I dodged all of their bullets.

But again there are many documented instances. I remember one in particular in south america where government troops and rebels were about 150 yards apart. and there was a pitched gun battle going on ALL day, and when the sun went down the rebels pulled back. an after action investigation revealed no evidence that ANY rebel had been hit and no government soldier had been hit or killed either. That's what I'm talking about when it comes to AI accuracy.

Quote Post
pMASTER
post Apr 11 2009, 07:21
Post #12

Gentleman Usher of the Coffee Stain
Group Icon

Group: Site Team
Member No.: 19

That's a war game for Gods sake. It's rather pointless to have it that way if you wanna fight your way through the campaign.

--------------------
Google Google and Google will google Google!

R.I.P. Jacky *1996-†2014

Quote Post
D@V£
post Apr 20 2009, 12:43
Post #13

Group Icon

An XCOM style campaign! ohnoo.gif

I'm not saying like: a campaign where you fight aliens. That'd be daft. Awesome, yes, but daft.

A geoscape (though an area map would work fine) campaign with dynamically generated missions could work extremely well. I know it could probably be done with scripting (hecks, look at the STALKER campaign for OFP, it probably is possible... difficult, but possible) but a hardcoded version would work a lot better (look at the bugs with the STALKER campaign for OFP tongue.gif )

--------------------

QUOTE(Brace Belden)

Quote Post
wipman
post Apr 28 2009, 10:34
Post #14

Hi, one thing that i'll like to see, it's the AI mates on my squad facing to where i'm facing when i order 'em to enter into whatever formation
instead form facing the direction that your unit (or they) were put (created) in the editor; because that screws up most of the possible utility
of any formation. I wish that they fix that important bug. Let's C ya

--------------------

Quote Post
wipman
post May 16 2009, 16:00
Post #15

Hi, other thing that i'll like to see... it's a bullet proof shield and the propper animations that will be required, so we could do CBQ raids
ala SWAT style killing every "suspected criminal" in the house and putting lead on him/her as for stop a train; it'll be great. Let's C ya

--------------------

Quote Post
bulkington80
post May 16 2009, 19:50
Post #16

Member No.: 5,468

Wipman, I could make you a bullet proof shield if you could texture something for me smile.gif
And all those weapon too smile.gif And more, a lot more wink.gif
It would be nice to see some leftovers from ArmA-2 in ArmA-1

This post has been edited by bulkington80: May 16 2009, 19:51

--------------------
Good guys play ArmA-1

Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd June 2024 - 02:12